FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Does anyone know a pinned/welded M249 para barrel will be 16"+ (non-SBR length)?
No it won’t. At least not if you’re talking about just taking a normal one with the regular flash hider on it. I found a place online that makes thread adapters, because the para barrels are some weird left handed thread. So the thread adapter, then a pretty average sized flash hider will get you the 16 inches or more. So then you’ll need both parts pinned and welded. That’s what I did.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Surefire SF3P-556-MK46 or SF3P-762-FAL will get you to just a hair over 16" measured to bolt face. Both are 9/16-24 LH thread. Both are also hard to find but looks like there's 2 of the FAL version in some distributor warehouse with multiple sellers offering on GB.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Yeah, a real Para barrel with a real Para barrel flash hider is just over 16”. This is what FN sells a non-NFA Para m249. They don’t pin and weld, they just weld the flash hider to the barrel.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yeah, a real Para barrel with a real Para barrel flash hider is just over 16”. This is what FN sells a non-NFA Para m249. They don’t pin and weld, they just weld the flash hider to the barrel.

This is incorrect. The barrel that comes on the para m249s from FN is slightly longer than an NFA para barrel(13.7"). You can clearly see this just from looking at the pictures. There is about 3/4 of an inch extra in front of the front sight and before the back of the flash hider...the gap is much larger because the barrel is longer. If you measured a real para barrel and got 16" then you measured incorrectly. With the barrel installed put a rod down into it and measure again, you likely measured a barrel that wasn't installed. The measurement starts from the chamber mouth not from end to end. See pics below, the extra length is very obvious especially since it's looks like a bull barrel in that section on the s model and skinny on the NFA model.

There is a guy on Sturmgewehr.com that sells an adapter to bring the length up to 16". His name is g36kinnc. I've never seen him advertise the part but I know he had them made a couple years ago because I bought one.

·
Registered
15 Posts
This is incorrect. The barrel that comes on the para m249s from FN is slightly longer than an NFA para barrel(13.7"). You can clearly see this just from looking at the pictures. There is about 3/4 of an inch extra in front of the front sight and before the back of the flash hider...the gap is much larger because the barrel is longer. If you measured a real para barrel and got 16" then you measured incorrectly. With the barrel installed put a rod down into it and measure again, you likely measured a barrel that wasn't installed. The measurement starts from the chamber mouth not from end to end. See pics below, the extra length is very obvious especially since it's looks like a bull barrel in that section on the s model and skinny on the NFA model.

There is a guy on Sturmgewehr.com that sells an adapter to bring the length up to 16". His name is g36kinnc. I've never seen him advertise the part but I know he had them made a couple years ago because I bought one.
Yeah I’d have to agree here as I stated a few posts ago. I’ve never handled a civilian para barrel but from the pictures, I’m just guessing that they used a flash hider that looks the same, but is threaded at the end of the hider, vs the one on the actual normal para barrels is threaded in the middle of the flash hider.
And as far as adapters, it was hughs precision where I bought one. I got an adapter that changes it to a normal 5/8-24 threads and added about .75”. So that and a pretty average flash hider brought it up to just over 16 inches.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Well ****, I must not have been paying attention. There’s several para barrels laying around, some cut and rethread Ed and some the “S” models. I e zen several variations of the para barrels profiles over the years. I chop off about .750 to get rid of the 9/16 left threads and thread them 1/2x28. But these are all MGs so I’ve never cared about a 16” OAL. Cool, I’ll look into what I have again.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.