FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone

Stumbled onto this forum by luck. It has been a great source for useful information. I recently got the Scar 16S. I was so excited to try it out that i went out and shot about 90 rounds. Then I was reading the manual about how to zero its iron sights when I came across the section about cleaning before firing it first. :p:p:p. Any ideas if I could have caused any damage? Other than that love this rifle:shock:

·
Premium Member
9,514 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

I seriously doubt you caused any damage. Cleaning is recommended to remove the factory preservative...which is a poor lubricant. Clean it well, lube it up and enjoy.

·
Registered
22,109 Posts
Welcome!!! :)

Don't worry about it. Just clean it now.

Reactions: geemboomba

·
Premium Member
13,513 Posts
:welcomesigntb3:To THE FORUM! your Scar was shot and tested before they boxed it up to be sent out so you did not do any damage trying it out first before you cleaned it! Congrats! on your new SCAR 16 ::!!!::

·
Registered
876 Posts
The manufactures want you to clean, because most guns have this waxy sticky oil on them to protect them from rusting if left in the box for years and years. I actually like to take the gun out of the box, function check it, and shoot it with the gunky oils. It gives me an idea of how well the firearm will function in crapy conditions. I did that when I purchased my Scar 16 and it worked flawlessly! The gun smoked from all the excess oil but it functioned like a champ. It insured me that my rifle was designed to function is harsh/crappy environments like the brochure said.

Reactions: geemboomba

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Shooting at a high rate of fire would be far worse in terms of barrel wear than what you did. I wouldn't worry about it.

I once forgot to run a dry patch through the barrel of my SOCOM II (ie shot it with a barrel loaded with CLP and fouling). About 10,000 rounds later it is...still just fine.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

If you lived to tell the tail, then clean it up now and enjoy.

For those of you who might actually be suggesting it's a cool idea to just take an untried firearm and start shooting - new or otherwise - I'd point out the *simple* wisdom of at least actually, physically, LOOKING down the bore for obstructions first. Mud-dauber nests, kids plastic fill-in-the-blank toys, chunks of styrofoam - you just never know. And in this case, ignorance can kill a fellow.

(and of course I look up just before posting to see 17Heavy's response - but hey, I've typed mine out already - so here ya go!)

·
Registered
22,109 Posts
Nice!!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts