FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just for fun i ran it at my monthly run and gun.Boy was it a mistake.Three out of 5 stages i had mag failures.I cant remember them all because i was in a hurry . I wish now i would of payed more attension but i beleive a couple of times after a few rounds gun would misfire and a unfired round would still be in the chamber with empty loose cases in there at the same time that had not dropped out, at one time there might have been a loaded round loose also but i cant remember.What a bummer it was.One mag was the 30 rd that came with the gun that was only used once before to test fire and sight in and the second mag was a new 50 rd that had not been used yet i beleive.Anyway i took mags apart and cleaned rollers with a silicone rag after reading the posts and want to know if the rollers are just dropped back in the mag tube randomly?

·
Registered
90 Posts
There should be two rollers, I find they get bunged up unless you set them in carefully and push them into position with the follower/spring assembly. But that's me. I'm overly careful with the magazines, as they seem to be the weak spot in the weapon's design.

Of 6 magazines, I've had one break, and two are currently on their way to breaking. They all seem to fail in the same place -- near the feed face (the round bit where the bullet come out. They've either failed on the face itself -- the first broke at the glue seam and snapped in half under pressure from the rounds, the second is cracking loose at the exact same place -- or they are cracking just below that.

I've taken to very carefully setting the mags in place with the catch pulled back. I don't load the bullets roughly. I suspect either its chintzy plastic, or the force of the bolt's operation placed high pressures on this part of the magazine, as it's inside the body of the gun. While the bolt should not be impacting the magazine other than to slide all the face and pick up the rounds, the inertia of the bolt might be getting translated to the round bit of magazine due to its position.

The only other thing I can think would reasonably explain this is because I have a loaded magazine in the weapon at all times, and over time the pressure causes the face to break loose. (Pretty friggin' bad design, if it is!)

I just wanted to see if anyone else is having problems with magazine failure. 50% seems awfully high, especially for the amount of rounds being put through it. (About 500-1000 before failure.) I would have expected to hear more about this, if the issue wasnt just particular to me, but the P90 is used by non-civilian forces. Militaries have a way of just chucking broken parts and buying new ones; they don't whinge about the quality of parts.

Perhaps my particular PS90 has the bolt hitting the magazine face especially hard.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Right on about the mags being weak link.You have to be carefull how you load the mags or they can easily break which slows you way down,you cant drop them on the ground during a reload or they can easily break and slows you down,my experience show me the mags can malfunction alot which slows me down,and not related to the mags but not being able to lock the bolt back during a malfunction slows you down.I would hate to get in a real fight with this thing it cant even prove itself in a run and gun for fun.I'm so disappointed and even if you guys defend this gun because your mags seem to work you cant discount the other short commings i have listed.The only reason i'm letting it take up room in my gun safe is to waite for the appreciation on the sell price that the Democrats are going to give me in 08 after all their bans even though i hope i'm wrong otherwise you couldnt pay me to keep this.

·
Registered
170 Posts
You shot the gun once and took it to a competition and now you are bashing it? I'm going to give you a challenge. Go pick up any brand new gun and try that. Your experience will be the same.

I use an AR and most other people here do as well for multi-gun competitions. I can't tell you how many jams I've seen and had myself. I've also seen shotguns fail. The only gun I haven't really seen jam are the Glocks.

Shooting slowly target practicing is totally opposite from competition quick shooting.

·
Registered
90 Posts
whitetiger7654 said:
You shot the gun once and took it to a competition and now you are bashing it? I'm going to give you a challenge. Go pick up any brand new gun and try that. Your experience will be the same.

I use an AR and most other people here do as well for multi-gun competitions. I can't tell you how many jams I've seen and had myself. I've also seen shotguns fail. The only gun I haven't really seen jam are the Glocks.

Shooting slowly target practicing is totally opposite from competition quick shooting.
And I've seen a Glock jam. And another blow out the breech on a brand new gun with factory ammo. the only weapon I've had zero malfunctions on is the FM FiveseveN...even my USP jammed once. In 2000 rounds.

I have no doubt this gun with do the job, if I find myself in trouble. The mags are the only thing I'm sweating right now, but since it just seems to be me having trouble with the breakage, maybe I'm just having bad luck.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I had a P90 magazine jam up upon command due to a weak mag spring. I only shot about 100 rounds out of the mag. The good news is that FN Herstal replaced the mag.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts