FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can the FNP-9 be ordered with a magazine disconnect?? I just read an article that said the Browning Pro-9 has the mag disconnect feature, so I wondering if FN offers it as well.

By the way, what exactly is the relationship between Browning and FN?? Does FN produce the Pro-9 for Browning?? Or is it the other way around??

Love this Forum!

Pete

·
Registered
4 Posts
FN did produce the Pro-9 (they own Browning), aside from a few small differences, it's essentially an FNP-9.

·
Registered
4 Posts
FN no longer makes the PRO-9, they're focusing on the FNP line exclusively now.

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
Ted1Trading said:
Is the Pro-9 still being made?? It's not on the Browning sight.
As just stated - it is discontinued inside the USA - at a Q&A session with the FN Rep here a while back - he informed us of this.

There is still plenty of new stock, sitting on store shelves. But after that is gone, that's it...

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
Ted1Trading said:
Shipwreck - Do you know if FN has it available with the mag disconnect??
To my knowledge - no.

Most people on all the gun forums complain about mag disconnects. The M&P has 2 versions - and the one w/o the mag disconnect is selling way better. I don't think most manufacturers put them in the guns. Granted the Five Seven does have a disconnect.

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
I never understood the logic of installing a mag disconnet. It seems like a solution to a non-existent problem. I could never carry a gun with one. I would always wonder if it had broken and the gun would not work when I needed it most.

Maybe they are designed so this could never happen... but I would always have a bit of doubt in the back of my mind, and that is no way feel about your carry gun.

·
Registered
203 Posts
The first thing I did when I got my Browning Pro 40 was remove the mag disconnect. My Hi-Power already had it removed which greatly enhances the trigger.

It just seems like something silly that Bill Ruger would have though up. You know, for those really responsible citizens.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I emailed FN and got a response already. The mag disconnect is not available on the FNP.

·
Registered
114 Posts
but you can probably still find some Browning Pro-9's if you search for em.
I never understood the logic of installing a mag disconnet. It seems like a solution to a non-existent problem. I could never carry a gun with one. I would always wonder if it had broken and the gun would not work when I needed it most.
Maybe they are designed so this could never happen... but I would always have a bit of doubt in the back of my mind, and that is no way feel about your carry gun.
a magazine disconnect is a nice feature for people in LE or for self-defense carry...

we dont have a lot of firearms related deaths out here, but many of the shootings that involve a dead police officer, often happen when the cop gets shot with his own gun.

part of the logic of a mag disconnect is that if you get into a man-to-man fight with a perp and you fear loosing your gun, you hit the mag release and your gun is now perfectly safe.

sure, the perp could stick his finger down the magwell and press the disconnect, but somehow, i doubt that. :-D

anyway, for a target shooter, it has little use. except to cure a tiny percentage of negligent discharges.

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
Ah, now I understand. Thanx!

·
Registered
114 Posts
you're welcome.

i hope you can track down a Pro-9, Ted1Trading. if i recall correctly something else was different with the manual safety as well on the Pro-9 btw, though i'm not sure what.

·
Registered
203 Posts
The Browning's have a decocker and manual safety. They only come with two magazines and the slide only comes in stainless. Thats about it. Other then that, they are the same.

·
Registered
5 Posts
...........sure, the perp could stick his finger down the magwell and press the disconnect,........
SuA,
Thanks for the quoted sentence. I have recently purchased an FN M1922 and have wondered how to get
around the MD problem. I guess it is good to have it and I dont want to alter the gun (for legal reasons)
BUT I would like to release the striker after pulling the mag and emptying the chamber before storing the
gun. And I dont wanna haveta empty the ONE mag I have each time then reload it.
It sounds like I can make a dummy insert to operate the lever to release the striker from spring tension
for storage. (Im still waiting for the NICS so dont have the gun in hand yet.) I probably would have found
this out on my own but thanks for saving me the trouble.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts