FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good day,

I’ve got a scar17, and recently noticed some mags do not drop free. They do function and lock the bolt to the rear. I have around 15 mags. 4 having the issue.
Either you have to hit and hold the release or straight up manual remove the mag.

anyone encounter this issue, if so where do you remove material on the mag? I’m assuming the gun is good to go being the majority of magazines are issue free.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Interesting; is your rifle a Belgium or US made unit?

Regardless, if the same 4 mags are the only ones giving you problems, and the other 11 are GTG, it would be logical to assume those mags are deformed or out-of-spec.

Maybe see if you can feel points of resistance when manually extracting the "problem" mags, or look for drag marks on the mags (dry-erase pens can sometimes be helpful).

Depending on your comfort level, you could simply ID and use these "problematic" mags as Range-Use-Only, or maybe consider taking a file to the mags... I'd personally mod a mag before I tried to modify the lower.

Good luck, brother, and let us know how it works out for ya!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Rifle is marked Columbia SC so I’m assuming US.

that’s the plan, with the mag catch out of the rifle they all move feeely in and out.
I was hoping someone else had encountered this and was able to resolve it by removing material from the magazines.

Regardless, if the same 4 mags are the only ones giving you problems, and the other 11 are GTG, it would be logical to assume those mags are deformed or out-of-spec.

Maybe see if you can feel points of resistance when manually extracting the "problem" mags, or look for drag marks on the mags (dry-erase pens can sometimes be helpful).

Depending on your comfort level, you could simply ID and use these "problematic" mags as Range-Use-Only, or maybe consider taking a file to the mags... I'd personally mod a mag before I tried to modify the lower.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Fixed it with channel locks.... squished the body of the magazine above the lock hole... drop free perfectly now...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts