FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I did some practicing for IDPA and under real rapid fire the gun failed for its first time. I thought maybe I was moving too much which didnt allow it to cycle fully, I racked the slide and it did not chamber a round. My magazine had slid an 1/8" out and it would not work until i pushed it back in. I thought I saw a thread for this awhile ago but dont know where it was. Anyone else have this problem? I narrowed it down to the one mag that was doing it and will probably replace it, but I wonder if it has something to do with my release spring.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Might be worth inspecting the magazine catch spring. Maybe it's binding or is gummed up somehow. You can see some detail by looking at the sticky thread about reversing the magazine catch for left handed shooters.

http://fnforum.net/viewtopic.php?t=1134

I've also noticed that if I have a fully loaded magazine and a closed slide, I really have to push it home a little harder sometimes to get that positive "click". It can seem like it's latched in deceptively, when in reality it's just hanging in by friction. This is because the slide is pushing down on that top round which is under the pressue of the mag spring. If you can't get it to lock with the slide open, than obviously the indent on the magaze body or the mag catch spring is having an issue.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah I am going to look at the mag spring when I get home today. It could have just been me pressing it with my thumb a little bit during shooting, just enough to semi-release. Once it happened, I tried again later with the same mag inserting it with the slide back, so I had no excuse of not getting it in all the way

1 - 5 of 5 Posts