FN Herstal Firearms banner

Magazine help *update 5/6*

2K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  mbott 
#1 ·
Allright, I'm tired of all my kool-aid drinkin' friends talking **** about my slide NEVER locking back on my FNP.

It seems like I remember FN directing people to Browning for new mag springs, but I cant seem to find the thread.

Someone help me out PLEASE.

#2 ·
I don't recall the mag springs being available as a separate part. I do remember people calling Bob, sending in their gun and getting the mags replaced if they are the issue. Take a look at the slide release tang with the slide off and a magazine in to see where it is contacting the mag follower. I remember one guy mentioning he slightly adjusted the tang and it solved the issue, although doing this could jeopardize the warranty. Although it may seem obvious, also make sure that your thumb isn't near the slide release when firing. If all those issues test negative, then it's time to get them to honor the implied lifetime (5 year) warranty.

#3 ·
Well, it's looking like I won't be able to get replacement mag springs, which is extremely irritating.

So instead, I disassembled all my mags last night and manually stretched the springs a bit. So far, this has fixed the problem. The only drawback, other than actually having to modify the springs myself, is that it's a little harder loading that last round now.

I loaded all the mags up and will let them sit for 7 days. After the seven days are up, I will check them all again. If they still are locking the slide back everytime, I will give it another 7 days and so on.

What I'm afraid might happen, is that keeping the mags loaded for an extended period might un-do everthing I did last night....only time will tell.

I will keep you guys updated.

#4 ·
How long did you have your mags loaded before first noticing the issue, or did the issue begin when the mags were all brand new?

I've been keeping 2 of mine loaded with 13 rounds and then rotating the empty mag in every 2-3 weeks or so. So far I haven't had any lock-back issues. Magazines are perishable, but you shouldn't have the issue when they are new unless the springs are bad in my opinion.

#5 ·
I bought my FNP used, so I don't know how the performed out of the box. When I got it though, one of the mags had this problem right off the bat. Eventually, the other 2 mags stopped working correctly as well.

I have a feeling I'm going to have to acquire new mags springs.

"Jimmy rigging" isn't really my style, especially when it comes to firearms.

#6 ·
If you find a source for mag springs, be sure to let us know. I emailed wolf springs and they don't currently produce any for the FNP but were willing to look into seeing if they had some that would work (or decide to put them into production) if I sent them one of mine. I opted not to send one, but that might be an option.

#7 ·
You need to make sure that the magazine tube is clean, dry and free of oil or grease. Oil or grease in a magazine creates more problems than it solves.

--
Mike

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.