FN Herstal Firearms banner

Magazine maintenance

3K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  graylon 
#1 ·
I'm a new owner of an FNX 45... (I love her, she's beautiful by the way)... I want to say this first. This is my conceal carry I have no problem hiding it no printing or anything and I am 5'11 142lbs. You have to know how to adjust it if it's noticeable and you don't want it to be. Now to the question at hand. We know the 45 you can carry up to 15 in a clip. To make the gun a bit lighter and to save ammo I keep one in the pipe and load 10 in the mag ( trust me it does makes a noticeable difference, something a female might want to try if she carries this weapon). Some say this will mess up the mag especially with new mags and a new gun. I have barely had this thing a little over a month and I am limited on gun knowledge. I know more than I have in my entire life now and that's not much. Any suggestions!

#3 ·
Yes.

First have you shot it? I have to ask. You need to make sure its broken in before you start carrying it. There have been many reports of these being finicky for the first 500 rounds and the last thing you want is a problem with your carry gun if you need to use it. I will reserve my next bit of advice after you tell me how much trigger time you have with it because it may not be necessary to say more. If you can carry that hog and conceal it well then more power to you man thats great! Mostly though congratulations and you made a fine choice with that pistol.

Reactions: graylon
#7 ·
I have put about 350 rounds through of different rounds.... I am going to try to put up a photo of what I look like in a thin shirt carrying the 45. I Change my mags everytime I fire. When I'm at the range I go the full 15. But when I carry I do 10 it makes it lighter

#4 ·
I haven't cleaned my mags yet and currently have 750 rounds through them and they keep on feeding fine. After my next range session I'll probably clean them, which pretty much consists of wiping them down with a rag inside and out (no solvent needed as they're pretty slick mags). I also wipe the follower down a bit, reassemble and make sure they lock the slide back.

Loading to 10 rounds won't cause any damage to the mag.

#16 ·
1 for the weight, 2 because when I carry it's all hollow point and those are a little more expensive, and at all time I carry two 45's with me.... my mistress is the taurus Pt 145 millenium, now she's not that heavy but she's a wide woman my dad gave her to me..... but when I go to the range I pack all three clips down with fmj. You can call me cheap if you want.... but I still put the hollow points down range too but more of the full metal jackets to break my wife in.

#13 ·
You're right it doesn't print in the photos. I agree with the others though that you would be better prepared with a full magazine... I understand cutting down on the weight but one day you may just need those extra 5 rounds... God forbid. As far as 10 rounds loaded causing damage to the spring - personally I think its hogwash. If someone could prove me wrong I'll eat my shoe.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.