FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had good results with aftermarket magazines? If so, who makes them? If not, what should be avoided?

·
Registered
231 Posts
factory mag is your only option. scar 17 mag is a proprietary design and still under patent protection..your only option I believe is one of a couple different lowers that may or may not be available that accept m110 style p-mags.. im sure someone on here will elaborate on those options shortly.. my advice would be to stock up on factory mags.

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
Do t forget the plastic mag from Molon Labe, and supposedly a plastic mag from Moses Mags is forthcoming as well.

I seem to recall ASC making metal mags for it as well.

These mags are SCAR mags and not the SR25 pattern PMags.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've looked at the Molon Labe. Ordered 2 of them last week to test them out. I've got 4 factory magazines.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I've looked at the Molon Labe. Ordered 2 of them last week to test them out. I've got 4 factory magazines.
Post how that works out. I tried some of them a couple of months ago. They would not work. Couldn't get a single round to chamber. I returned them and have been promised replacements but but haven't seen anything yet.

·
Premium Member
5,859 Posts
I seem to recall ASC making metal mags for it as well.
They did back before the company split up under CProducts. CProducts 25rd SCAR17 mag, they were hit and miss on reliability. Mine will never feed if loaded to 25rds, if loaded to 23rds they feed fine for range only mags.

CProducts SCAR17 25rd mag.

Thremomold make or did make SCAR17 mags and some members have had good luck with them, but I'd stick with the factory FN mags now that they are plentiful and reasonable again.

·
Registered
203 Posts
factory mag is your only option. scar 17 mag is a proprietary design and still under patent protection..your only option I believe is one of a couple different lowers that may or may not be available that accept m110 style p-mags.. im sure someone on here will elaborate on those options shortly.. my advice would be to stock up on factory mags.
Not entirely true. Factory mags are well built and have come down some in price since the panic... if you find the right vendor. Molon Labe makes polymer mags that are reported to work well, but are longer. Promag makes one also but is known to be problematic. Moses Mags are still in development (supposedly getting close to final product). FN FAL mags can be modified to work in the 17S, there is at least one youtube video showing the process.

Aftermarket lowers that will take LR/SR mags are out there: Handl Defense, High Desert Dog, Stryker, etc. These options only make sense if you already own a bunch of LR/SR mags. For the cost of one of these lowers, you could buy 10 factory FN mags. So you don't already own LR/SR mags, there is no point.

·
Registered
974 Posts
I extensively reworked my Molon Labe follower and I put spacers under the spring to level it. My Molon Labe Scar 17 magazine now runs up to 18 rounds flawlessly.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I extensively reworked my Molon Labe follower and I put spacers under the spring to level it. My Molon Labe Scar 17 magazine now runs up to 18 rounds flawlessly.
So you've had problems with Molon Labes? care to share details on what you experienced and what you did?

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Post how that works out. I tried some of them a couple of months ago. They would not work. Couldn't get a single round to chamber. I returned them and have been promised replacements but but haven't seen anything yet.
10 days passed and they haven't shipped. I emailed them and got a response almost immediately:

I apologize for the delay and thank you for your order. We have been in the process of switching over from our Gen 1 mags to our Gen 2 design. We have redesigned the springs, follower and feed lips to make the new mags more reliable and to correct any problems that were experienced with the Gen 1 design. It has been our plan to upgrade all magazine orders to our Gen 2 products, free of charge, to make sure our customers are receiving the best product we can provide. We are now in full production of the Gen 2 magazines and are working six days a week to assemble and ship out orders. All orders are being shipped out in the order they were received and should be out shortly. You will receive an email notification when your order has shipped which will include a tracking number for your package.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I have a different view on this . I am very happy with the factory mags that now are plentiful and not very expensive and they work 100% . That they are only 20 rd capacity ? so what , when the 20 rds are gone I just replace the mag with a loaded one .
Adding also more weight to the rifle is a no no for me .
This rifle has a perfect proportion and size , I would no want to change anything on this baby .

·
Registered
231 Posts
I would not consider using anything but factory mags. At this time anyway. Since ive got at least 20 of them laying around I don't expect that to change anytime soon.

·
Registered
10 Posts
10 days passed and they haven't shipped. I emailed them and got a response almost immediately:
I received a package of new mags earlier last week. (2) 20 round mags and (2) 25 round mags. I loaded them up and checked to see if they would load a round. Success. I haven't gotted to the range yet, but these seem a lot more promising than the previous version. Once i have the opertunity to use them at range i will report back.

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Once i have the opertunity to use them at range i will report back.
Agreed - aside from the first round loading, hand cycling ammunition tells you nothing.

With FN OEM mags, both 20 and 10s being plentiful, I so no reason to change what works, as designed by the FN masters.

YMMV in looking for a better mousetrap. I have a handful of Thermolds in a box and tested an MLI magazine. It fed 18rds and then had a FTF. Didn't see any need to waste time and ammo on the mag after that, since all of the 14 OEM mags I've used have worked flawlessly, and I imagine the additional magazines I have in storage would as well.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Only real advantage is a slight weight difference. Plastic doesn't look as bad after long term use either. I've got 6 OEM mags, I'm just never one to stop looking for improvements.

·
Registered
974 Posts
The Molon Labe mag I purchased around August 2014 was hard to load after around 10 rounds or so. As I got around 20 rounds in it the rounds would not strip out by hand by simply pushing them out with my thumb the way the bolt would strip them in the Scar 17. The reason was the bullets were nosing down in the mag and colliding with the inside of the front of the mag.

I determined the guide slots in the follower were preventing it from tilting up in the front on the bullet end of the cartridges so I filed on them to angle those guide slots to allow the follower to tilt up at least 45* on the nose. You see I want the .308 cartridges to sit tight and LEVEL with equal tension front to rear of the top cartridge against the underside of the feed lips of the mag. What the mag I got was set up to do was put 90% of all the spring tension on the tail end of the top cartridge right at the groove and no tension on the middle to nose of the cartridge.

Next I addressed the spring. The single heavy spring is too short and too heavy to do a good job and is mal-formed or was just poorly designed. Besides binding against the mag walls, it was set up to overload the tail end of the cartridges and put almost no tension on the bullet end. The more rounds that are loaded into the mag, the worse it gets. I shoved a spent .45 shell I formed to a square shape under the base of the spring as a spacer and another under the follower to force my spring to sit vertical and compress vertically inside the mag to reduce the spring bind and to level the tension across the top cartridge front to rear.

The reason it goes to crap after 18 rounds is that the spring is just too short to do the job being required of it. What is needed is a thinner weaker spring that is l-o-n-g-e-r so that the tension on the cartridges is made by compressing several more inches of weaker spring. What this does is yield a spring tension that varies less from the first round to the 25th round. One expert that knows far more than I do said that a flat wound spring is probably the only way to fix the spring problem. I also heard the first gen Molon Labe springs were duel springs. Mine was not, it is just a single spring.

For 18 rounds in a mag that is longer than an OEM FN mag which holds 20 reliable rounds, I'll stick with the FN mags for now.

I give the Molon Labe mag an A+ for the magazine shell itself, it looks great and seems to perform as advertised (I'm not going to drive over it with a truck).

I give the Molon Labe mag follower a C- because it does not work out of the box but is easily fixed with a file if you have even a basic understanding of how it *SHOULD* work and you are not afraid to file on it.

I give the Molon Labe mag spring a solid F because it is too short, stiff, places all of its tension on the tail end of the cartridges and binds against the mag walls.

I have some hope that Molon Labe will sort these fixable problems out and will hopefully get a more refined version of this mag to market soon because this mag definitely has the potential to become a great mag.

1 - 20 of 92 Posts