FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
on .40sw,
Has anyone filled their mags to the full 14 capacity & have the shells rattle in the middle of the stack? It was really noticeable when I had it with me the other day...With every step it would rattle. All three of my mags do it.

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
Walther P99 9mm mags rattle quite a bit too - from the middle. But the S&W mags for the same gun do not. Weird.

A lot of mags rattle - it doesn't affect function - but yea, it is kinda annoying.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Walther P99 9mm mags rattle quite a bit too - from the middle. But the S&W mags for the same gun do not. Weird.

A lot of mags rattle - it doesn't affect function - but yea, it is kinda annoying.
My 9mm's do that.. lol.. a lot of different mags do that. I find that a sharp rap off the palm of your hand to the primer side of the mag resolves this. Works on ARs, AKs, M9s etc too.
The REAL stubborn ones get a mid loading rap around round 7 for .40's, rd 8 for 9mm's.

ETA:

Normal cause is slight swelling in the mag body and/or rounds not being perfectly stacked. As SW said, no real harm unless you are using a 'Nam era M16 prone to FTF's. Or doing legal concealed carry.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mag Rattle

Hey Texas: I tried the smack to the primer side & it diminishes somewhat but there's still a few that are loose.

It's true..no real harm but it's kind of funny hearing a rattle from my SOB when I walk. It's like: step...Ka-chiggle...step...Ka-chiggle...step...Ka-chiggle...

S

·
0 Posts
It seems that the metal magazines tend to have this more than the polymer ones, from my experience. It does get irritating.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Re: Mag Rattle

Hey Texas: I tried the smack to the primer side & it diminishes somewhat but there's still a few that are loose.

It's true..no real harm but it's kind of funny hearing a rattle from my SOB when I walk. It's like: step...Ka-chiggle...step...Ka-chiggle...step...Ka-chiggle...

Yeah.. got one that way too.. I finally broke it down completely, cleaned, re-assembled and every 3rd rd tapped the rear. then left it loaded to the max for a week and it went away.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
mag rattle

I have mine loaded all the time. I wonder if I flip the spring?? any thoughts??

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
Re: mag rattle

hexed775 said:
I have mine loaded all the time. I wonder if I flip the spring?? any thoughts??
Flip the spring over?

On HK mags and other mags I have disassembled - the ends are shaped differently - so, that probably won't work. 1 end wraps around the base of the follower.

·
Registered
68 Posts
stopping the rattle

I have foud that if you were to place the mag on a hard surface (table, leg, etc) while loading it, it seats the rounds it properly thus reducing the rattle of the rounds. Not a good thing to have a rattle when stealth is necessary :)

·
Registered
249 Posts
Mine do it too.

I really don't notice it when it's in the gun...........although I'm sure I will now!! :D

Anybody finds a fix for this let us know.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I had that problem as well with the FNP9, and if you load your mags while they are firmly planted on a hard surface, it should seat the rounds in perfectly eliminating that baby rattle sound. Hope this helps![/quote]

·
Registered
4 Posts
My FNP-40 has always done this with magazines loaded at a full 14 rnds. But as soon as I chamber a round, leaving only 13 in the magazine, it goes away. It's only really a "problem" if I wanted to top off the mag so I could carry with 15 rnds at a time which I don't feel the need to do.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I agree with Jon A. I carry my FNP 40 and I don't particularly care for the distinct rattle it makes with fourteen rounds in the mag. So I put 14 in the magazine, then chamber the first and the rattle is gone. Slightly defeats the purpose of a 14 round magazine but in the absolute worst case scenario, I hope I don't all those bullets anyways...

·
Registered
735 Posts
Not that I subscribe to this particular school of thought, but an older police officer I knew, who carried an S&W .357 magnum until the day he retired, used to tell me that if you need more than six shots you either need to practice more or reconsider using a pistol as your primary weapon. :lol:

Personally, while I like to think I wouldn't need 14 or even 13 rounds to get the job done, I like knowing they're there.

·
Registered
48 Posts
mine seems especially loud.. but I have a little jiggle when I walk anyway... :cry:

·
Registered
49 Posts
Has anybody found anything else that works to solve the problem with the mag rattle? My FNP-40 mags (1 round capacity California version) rattle after the 8th round is inserted but are quiet prior to that.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
My solution is to carry a pack of tic-tacs and when someone asks about the rattle you offer them one. It also solves the bad-breath problem. :?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts