FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I didn't get out of bed in time to make it to the range today with the new FNP9. So I am spending time dry firing a bit and just becoming familiar with the firearm. First thing I noticed is that loading 16 round mags is a bear after the 12th round or so. After loading and unloading 3 mags my fingers are raw!! Not only is it a bit tough on the fingers it takes time. Time I would rather be using pulling the trigger than loading mags.
Perhaps it's just because the mags are new and need to be broke in. Should I load them and leave them loaded for a couple of days to keep the spring compressed?
How about the HKS magazine speedloaders anyone use them? For 15 bucks they may be a good investment.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Had the same issue with my 10 round .40 Sig mags but they were used and not nearly as difficult to load. Been looking at this Uplula loader as well. Robert Ailes at FNH customer service tells me that they have heard that HKS GL940 works well.
Mag loaders aren't a big buck investment so I may just go ahead and get one.
Here is a link for the Uplula speedloader. They have some video demenstrations as well.
http://www.maglula.com/

·
Registered
203 Posts
http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/productview?saleitemid=738861&t=11082005

I tried out this Safariland loader which works very well with the 9mm mags, but does not with the .40 mags because they are wider. I just got an Uplula to use with my .40 and it works great, just like any other Lula. It's supposed to work well with pretty much any handgun mag out there, double and single stack. The only thing is they seem to sell out fast.[/url]

·
Registered
17 Posts
I can attest the maglula Uplula is top notch. I never thought I would own one but now I do and it is great. Especially double stack mags.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Been using mine for sometime now. Works great with every mag I have tried. The FNP 9mm mags, Sig .40 mags and Ruger .40 mags. Excellent investment.

·
Registered
1 Posts
?

Hey everyone, new to the forum and fairly new to handguns. Is there any negative effects of leaving the magazines loaded? I loaded them tonight to "soften up" the spring, but don't want to ruin anything.

·
Registered
15,555 Posts

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
FYI, I emailed John Andrews at Wolff Gunsprings about FNP mag springs:

"Thank you for writing and interest in our products. Sorry but we do not make a magazine spring for the FN, FNP series of pistol (that we know of). We have not had one of those in house to examine. If you can send me one of the existing magazines or mag springs, I'll check to see if we have something that will fit and function. If we don't then I'll take measurements of the spring and mag tube and see if we can make some (can't give you a time frame for that though).

Let me know if you would be willing to part with one of the above and I'll send you the particulars on where to send it so that it gets to me....thanks."

I'm not sure if that's just good PR or a solid promise, but I don't think I'm willing to send in one of my mags to see it disappear into production oblivion. Nice to know they are at least willing to look into it though. I would be most interested to know if they have existing springs that work, although the design looks fairly proprietary on these mags, and I doubt they will ramp up production just for a few of us.

·
Registered
15,555 Posts
If it were me, I'd send it in. U could probably get a free product out of it.

I prev sent a mag to The Vest Guy for him to make Five Seven mag carriers.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Thanks for the tip on the Upula, I just got one from eguns and it works well on my FNP .45 mags as well as on my 7 rnd 1911 mags and 9mm 15 rnd 5906 mags. Seems to be well built.

1911Shooter

·
Registered
21,554 Posts
The Uplula is great. Save a LOT of time. My only problem so far (just got it) is that I forget to pick up the next round to load! Hand loading was a bit slow.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Have two UpLula's, one stays in my range box and one in my dresser drawer. I even load my bersa 380 mag by holding it a little forward. As far as fighting loading the thumb blistering 45 mag, The UpLula is better than a pocket on a shirt. I even bought a 3rd one to give to a friend They are great. My local gun store ordered them for $26.99 each.

jkbduck

·
Registered
6 Posts
I picked up a mag loader at a local gun show that I'm very happy with called magloader.... www.magloader.com
I know it doesn't look like much, but it works... Seems like it cost $5 for a 3pack. I was looking for a UpLula but nobody local had them. So I thought for $5 it was worth a try. For the price you can't beat it. I keep one in my range bag, workbench in my gun room and my car.
I've loaded my FN-45 and Sig P225 mags without any issues.

:D :D

·
Registered
735 Posts
One more satisfied upLula customer chiming in. I just got my FNP-45 today, and they weren't kidding about how difficult the mags were to load. Went and picked up an upLula from Cabelas for $30... money well spent.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts