FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I keep two magazines fully stocked with my FNP40 at all times. I got to thinking about mag springs and how quick they might wear out being fully stressed all the time.

How much life are you getting out of them? That is, if you keep your mags full.

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
Man - U will get all sorts of posts on this... And, some will contradict others.

Some people say that it is the compressing and decompressing that wears out springs. Some will say that if U leave them loaded all the time, U could weaken them.

Who knows. Even the Wolfe Springs page warns about leaving a mag at full capacity - sitting there for a long time.

I personally adopted a technique that people were using in the 1990s... I underload the mags by 1. I do this for all my guns with the exception of my P99c. It's only a 10 round mag on that gun, and I just rotate mags periodically.

For all my other guns, I keep 1 less round in the mag. I have done this for years and have had no issues...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That sounds like as good a plan as any. Guess I should buy a few more mags so I can rotate them out more often.

Thanks for tip!

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
:?

Here is the quote from the Wolff Springs site about this:

Should I unload my magazines, rotate magazines, load with fewer than the maximum rounds? How often should I change magazine springs?

Magazine springs in semi-auto pistols are one of the most critical springs and the subject of much debate and concern. Magazines which are kept fully loaded for long periods of time, such as law enforcement applications, will generally be subject to more fatigue than the weekend shooter's magazine springs which are loaded up only when shooting. Magazine design and capacity also affect the longevity of the spring. Older designs where maximum capacity was not the goal such as the 7 round 1911 Colt magazines will last for years fully loaded. There was a lot of room for a lot of spring which reduced the overall stress on the spring. In recent hi-capacity magazines, the magazines were designed to hold more rounds with less spring material. This puts more stress on the spring and will cause fatigue at a faster rate. Unloading these magazines a round or two will help the life of the spring. Rotating fully loaded magazines will also help the problem somewhat but is not always practical. In applications where the magazine must be kept loaded, a high quality magazine spring such as Wolff extra power magazine springs, will provide maximum life. Regular shooting will verify reliability and regular replacement of magazine springs will provide the best defense against failure from weak magazine springs.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I really wish wolff would make mag springs for the FNP line. They've got a lot of oddball guns on there, but nothing for the FNP series.

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
Heck, I wish they would make P99 mag springs...

I'm using Beretta 92 mag springs in place of the stock springs to get some old 1990 mags to work....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts