FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got 2 PS90 mags (out of 14) that exhibit a perplexing behavior: More often than not the 2nd rd in the mag refuses to chamber automatically after the 1st rd ejects. Charging manually loads the 2nd rd and the mags function normally after that until empty. I've tried cleaning, lubing, examing for burrs, etc but to no avail; they still hang up on that 2nd rd.
Enter MagazineParts replacement PS90 mag springs. I've had some for awhile but hadn't used them yet. So, today I said "what the heck" and installed them in my malfunctioning mags and, voila! 50rds each w/o a hitch! Although loading the mags is now marginally harder due to increased spring tension I consider that a very fair trade-off for increased mag reliability. While only 50rds fired is admittedly not conclusive, these 2 mags are now specially marked and will become my range mags to ensure the max amount of testing that the problem has indeed been resolved. I will post any new developments as they occur but so far a big thumbs-up for these replacement springs!... :?
Tomac

·
Registered
214 Posts
Tomac,

I think you'll find as we have, the springs DO work. I currently have 12 or so mags, but I use 3 on a constant basis. I keep them loaded at home, and use them at the range. Empty, reload, shoot. Not many of us get to shoot our guns as a business expense, so range visits are less frequent.

We're at just over the two year mark for the PS90's release, and I know you were one of the first to get one (or two in your case). Heck, you were one of our first customers for PS90 accessories! I think this problem will only continue to be illustrated as time goes on. We've had several large government orders to replace their P90 magazine springs due to similar issues. FN would rather you buy a new magazine at $50/ea (which is great if you're spending the PEOPLE'S money).

Not many shooters really see the issue as it develops since their mags are usually full or empty, but they should notice over time as they begin to load, that it is getting easier. If it doesn't take much for you first few loaded rounds to fall out, this should concern you.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sounds like a good reason for me to stock up on a few more springs!... :?
Tomac
ETA: Just ordered some more!...

·
Registered
475 Posts
good review, no problems with mine but will know where to go if and when this problem occurs

·
Registered
30 Posts
Just wondering, on average about how many rounds are you getting out of your magazines before you started noticing a problem. (I guess its time to start keeping a round count on my magazines.)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.