FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put an Aimpoint Comp M4s on my Scar 16s (FDE, better for killing zombies) and was looking for suggestions on a magnifier purchase. Is there any dollar for dollar difference between buying a $100 unit or an actual Aimpoint magnifier? I'm trying to justify spending $600 or $700 on something I don't see excessive use for, I don't plan on doing much shooting out past 50 yards with it. I would rather put that money towards a .308 rifle, then I'll be a little more concerned with 300+ yards.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Depends what you are using your carbine for. If it is a defensive rifle, for a .223/5.56 carbine that I only plan on shooting 50 yards, I would not add any magnifier. Just go straight red dot. The red dot alone should enable you to hit any target that your eye can still see. So, if it is a defensive rifle, a man size target would still be easily tagged at 100 yards and even beyond that.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Depends what you are using your carbine for. If it is a defensive rifle, for a .223/5.56 carbine that I only plan on shooting 50 yards, I would not add any magnifier. Just go straight red dot. The red dot alone should enable you to hit any target that your eye can still see. So, if it is a defensive rifle, a man size target would still be easily tagged at 100 yards and even beyond that.
This.

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
If it's for 50 yds or close, then yes, your aimpoint will be fine. Plus magnifier will add some unnecessary bulk to the rifle. It sounds like you would be better off saving that chunk of change toward a SCAR 17s :icon_e_wink:.

Reactions: togjr9

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
I traded into a PA 3x magnified and ADM mount. It's primary use is fine tuning RDS zeros. I've thought about a Aimpoint model but always decide it isn't worth it.

·
Registered
8,450 Posts
I put an Aimpoint Comp M4s on my Scar 16s (FDE, better for killing zombies) and was looking for suggestions on a magnifier purchase. Is there any dollar for dollar difference between buying a $100 unit or an actual Aimpoint magnifier? I'm trying to justify spending $600 or $700 on something I don't see excessive use for, I don't plan on doing much shooting out past 50 yards with it. I would rather put that money towards a .308 rifle, then I'll be a little more concerned with 300+ yards.

I was in your position- I went with the aimpoint magnifier. I am a bit OCD, wanted an aimpoint to go along with my aimpoint t m4. I also was ok with purchase as I was interned to use magnifier with other setup a on other guns. But -- I didn't pay anywhere msrp- my advice is be patient, troll Ebay, gb, and you will get your magnifier the way you want it. I ended up with one for 400 with flip mount included, new but a demo model under glass in a display. Good luck. I hope you find this helpful.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
50 yards, no mag is fine. Like Rhino I have a primary arms 3x I use behind my Aimpoint pro and it makes punching paper better at 100 yards, but beyond that I'd go with a scope. I would recommend it - it's way cheaper than the aimpoint magnifier and works fine. Just go with a good mount like a Larue.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts