FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
6,625 Posts
They won't. They say that the magwell will not accommodate a design that is thick enough. Meaning they can't manufacture the mag walls thick enough and still have it fit in the scars magwell. Do a search here it is been brought up multiple times. This is why MLI's mags are 8 feet long. They sacrificed compactness in leu of length and thicker walls. Thermold mags seem to work just fine by the way. Strictly for range use. So why not get yourself a collection of 10 OEM scar mags and like 5 thermolds to use at the range? Or maybe look into one of the aftermarket lowers that accept PMAGs?

·
Registered
32 Posts
There have been a few guys to modify the current 7.62 pmags to fit the magwell. It takes a little work, but they appear to work fine.

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
Just invest in oem mags and call it a day. Or order from mli and you should expect your shipment in a few years especially if you prepay. Thermold mags never again

·
Registered
157 Posts
Op, if you have your heart set on Magpul or just want to use sr25 mags there are four companies making an alternative lower that accepts those mags; Stryker, hdd, Calvary and handle. Do your research on each if you go that route and it is an expensive investment just to be able to use Magpul mags. Oem mags have been fine for me personally. I also have had no problems with my thermold mags but I limit those to the range and training.
I have no experience with modified mags of any type but I will say this, and take it how you want, I would not modify one of the most essential parts of a semi auto and use said modified part for serious work. You define serious work yourself. Modified anything for the range is prob okay.
It's like hey, in 5 minutes 2 armed turds will kick the door in and try to kill you. You have 5 mins to gear up. I promise you personally I wouldn't grab the mag I was just modifying last night. now if your confident with your level of skill and feel you can modify something and make it work just as good if not better then your good.

·
Registered
6,625 Posts
Thermold mags never again
Jim. What happened with the therolds? I have three of them and haven't had a single malfunctions. From what I have heard the old ones were garbage but the new ones function.

Reactions: Spilz

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
I bought mine during the panic so idk if those are considered new or old. They didn't have a good fit in my scar. And failure to feed after failure to feed. I basically donated them to desperate forum members when mags were scarce once I collected enough mags.

·
Registered
6,625 Posts
I bought mine during the panic so idk if those are considered new or old. They didn't have a good fit in my scar. And failure to feed after failure to feed. I basically donated them to desperate forum members when mags were scarce once I collected enough mags.
Ah I see. I guess they are hit or miss. Several people around here have used them without issue so I guess it's a use at your own risk type of thing.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
I guess I'm old school. Yes,if you step your fat ass or run over a metal mag on the ground with a vehicle it's ****ed. I've dropped a bunch, thrown them, sat on em blah, blah blah and that they are not that much more fragile than plastic magazines. The factory FN mags are really durable, not that expensive, easy to load, have good followers and no FTEs/FTFs . I don't get the obsession with plastic magazines.

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
I guess I'm old school. Yes,if you step your fat ass or run over a metal mag on the ground with a vehicle it's ****ed. I've dropped a bunch, thrown them, sat on em blah, blah blah and that they are not that much more fragile than plastic magazines. The factory FN mags are really durable, not that expensive, easy to load, have good followers and no FTEs/FTFs . I don't get the obsession with plastic magazines.
I'm with you in regards to steel mags, but Magpuls are considerably cheaper then OEM, which is why some are looking for an after market lower that allows their use.

·
Registered
419 Posts
The biggest benefits to me are that when dropped on the feed lips, the plastic mags will spring back in most cases whereas metal mags can deform or get a burr that will affect feeding. Plastic is also cheaper.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Also plastic doesn't rust or corrode.

·
Registered
11,157 Posts
I too have been thinking this as well but was hesitant to comment because I did not want to make an offensive comment towards your woman. Glad she approved of you posting a pic of her as your new avatar!

Call me crazy but I still dig the factory mags.

I've been thinking the same thing, and would like to say Kameron, you have extraordinary taste.

·
Registered
232 Posts
They won't. They say that the magwell will not accommodate a design that is thick enough. Meaning they can't manufacture the mag walls thick enough and still have it fit in the scars magwell. Do a search here it is been brought up multiple times. This is why MLI's mags are 8 feet long. They sacrificed compactness in leu of length and thicker walls. Thermold mags seem to work just fine by the way. Strictly for range use. So why not get yourself a collection of 10 OEM scar mags and like 5 thermolds to use at the range? Or maybe look into one of the aftermarket lowers that accept PMAGs?
But when guys take existing mags and sand them down to make them work, that line from magpul makes it just BS. Not thick enough--well we make them work even thinner. Not a big deal as I use factory. Oh I hate your avatar, looking at it made me reply to your post--you asked for it.

·
Registered
6,625 Posts
But when guys take existing mags and sand them down to make them work, that line from magpul makes it just BS. Not thick enough--well we make them work even thinner. Not a big deal as I use factory. Oh I hate your avatar, looking at it made me reply to your post--you asked for it.
folks are also taking existing lowers and sanding out the magwell to accept PMAGs. What you have to ask yourself is would those sanded down magazines or sanded down lowers be able to withstand the testing that the manufacturers did on those items in their original form? Who knows. What we do know is that it makes exactly zero sense for magpul to refuse to manufacture scar mags for a absolutely no reason. They stand to make money off of such a product for sure. So why would they choose not to make them? Who knows. Whether it be the truth about them not being able to make the walls thick enough or some other reason. If they could they would that's my point.

Reactions: Plpuffer
1 - 20 of 40 Posts