FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I've had my two-tone FNP-45 for a week now and today was my first time to the range with it. I gave it the initial cleaning and lube. Dry fired it a bit with some snap caps to get the feel of the action.

Then off to the range... It's not an exhaustive test by any means, but I ran a few boxes of WWB through it, at the 25yd range shooting some empty detergent bottles. This thing is VERY mild regarding recoil. Double taps are easy as can be. As expected, reliability was FLAWLESS

Controls are well laid out. I had no problems with my thumb interfering with the slide stop or decocker when using my thumbs forward shooting grip.

The magazines were easily loadable to full 14rnd capacity. I also noticed the springs are pretty stout, inspiring confidence for long term performance.

The trigger has a very respectably short & positive reset. That's an important factor for me. I'd still prefer having a steel trigger, like the SIGs I'm used to, but the action is buttery smooth and the SA trigger breaks very consistently, which is a big help for accuracy.

I LOVE the sights! Kudos to FNH for these excellent factory sights!!! :cool:

I like the fact that the front dot is actually larger than the rear dots, also the rear notch is generously wide allowing plenty of daylight on both sides of the front sight. I really like the fact that they also gave the sights some horizontal grooves to reduce glare and improve contrast. (Even better than the factory HK45 sights) The rear sight is a smooth, no-snag design that isn't likely to hang up on cloths or holsters. Of course having both front & rear dovetails is a big benefit as well. It looks like I may have to drift the rear a little bit, as I was shooting a little to the left.

Clean-up was a snap. The pistol field strips in seconds and the major components are easy to clean with very few hiding spots for shooting residue. The slide is very nicely machined inside & out. Better than many newer SIGs I've seen.

My only gripes are minor ones... I used the large curved backstrap as the narrow small back strap would not stay put. I think FNH could come up with a better retention method for the backstrap. I can also see where it would be nice to have the option for cocked & locked carry. That's not a deal breaker though.

All in all, this is about the best pistol, dollar for dollar that I've purchased in a long time. In comparison with my HK45 & HK45c, I'd say ergos go to the HKs, but capacity certainly goes to the FNP. Accuracy wise, I'd say it was a dead heat and it would come down to the individual shooter and his/her preference regarding which one is likely to group best. Without a doubt, the FNP is a clear winner regarding overall value. When folks like Ray Tanner sell them for $465, it makes for a pistol that's just about impossible to beat with respect to the features and performance for the money. You could almost get two FNP-45s for the price of 1 HK45. Magazines are more reasonable too.

I'm hopeful that the FNP-45 will gain popularity. I think it has a LOT of potential.

Here are a few options I'd LOVE to see regarding the FNP-45:

1. Make the military version (with the Docter optic compatible slide) available to civilians. I'd buy one on the spot in a heartbeat!

2. Make a SAO version with a nice extra-short reset trigger.

3. Make a longer slide version for a full 5" barrel length with adjustable Bo-Mar sight & fiber optic front sight. A SAO version of this one would ROCK!

4. Make a steel trigger to eliminate the flex and improve trigger consistency.

5. Aftermarket companies like C&S making bar-stock hammer/sear & extractors.

6. Yes indeed... We NEED a FNP-10!!! Imagine 16 & 17 rounds of awesome 10mm!!! And yes, there are those of us who'd LOVE to hunt with an FNP! It would make the IDEAL backwoods pistol!

In the meantime, I've VERY pleased with the FNP-45. They did a great job with this platform. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to anyone!

·
Registered
319 Posts
The FNP-45 is an underrated pistol. Looks aren't everything but it's a nice to have a well built gun that looks badass as well. All that for a reasonable price too.
I checked the SA pull on mine the other day and it popped at 4.20 pounds. Good enough for me. :?

There are a few that have experienced problems with WWB not stacking right in the mags. I'm glad I only bought one box of it.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I agree.
If I were a .45 fanatic, I would say that, especially with the frame safety, the FNP-45 would be the most formidable handgun out there. With 14- or 15 +1 capacity, ambi controls, good trigger, and decent concealibility it is hard to ask for more at pretty much any price level.

·
Registered
873 Posts
I don't consider my FNP-45 to be concealable in any way, shape, or form.

It's a full size, service grade weapon.

Perhaps if you are under 6 feet tall and are over 250 pounds you might be able to pull it off, but I'm 5'8" and 170lbs, and IMHO a Glock 36 is almost too large to comfortably conceal.

I'm seriously thinking about a S&W J frame as my only viable option, especially in summer time.

Love my FNP-45 though. Best handgun I've ever owned.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Thanks Germanic
Great observations all. Doesn't look like we will be able to pry that one from you any time soon.
(smiles)
You mentioned trigger flex... Were you getting a sensation that the trigger was actually flexing as you pulled it through the D/A? Maybe then if not switching it out to steel a more beefy trigger might be looked into by the "Mothership"
:?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts