FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well after almost 15000 rounds I finally mannaged to break my FS2000 :cry:
Turns out an extremely important part crutial to the guns ability to fire is made of plastic......Who knew? Now manny of you may have assumed the plastic trigger group or the plastic hammer may have been the culprate but this is not the case, in fact those parts have been incredibly resilliant. Here is a general overview of the internal workings of the FS2000.

Turns out the way the ejection system works is as the bolt travels rearward a switch on the side of the bolt carrier ( pictured below ) knocks against a pretrusion of plastic on the inside of the stock this pretrusion activates the switch which forces the ejector to open allowing the spent casing to be inserted into the ejection tube. Now it is an ingenious design in the fact that it works perfectly 100% of the time, That is.....Untill that little piece of plastic breaks. In that eventuality the gun will catastrophically fail on the first shot and lock up so bad you need to completly take the gun appart to get the shell casing out. :evil:

So my plan now is to mill out the stock where to piece used to be and replace it with aluminum or steel and hopefully avoid a repeat of the problem.[/u]

·
Premium Member
3,531 Posts
Awesome Post !!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

If FN is watching - they should be taking notes. I would surmise that this would be a warranty item. However, you and I know it will break again - so I concur with you assessment that the piece has to be made of steel. I wonder how you are going to mate it to the plastic. Rivets?

Anyways - that piece ought to be made of steel and thermal injected with the mold.

-TH

·
Registered
302 Posts
Well crap.. I would have hoped FN would be smarter than that...

Guess I will be keeping my rifle stock so I can sent it back to FN if/when this happens if I dont sell the damn thing first. :(

Good luck with this man... Let us know how it turns out.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
wlcohen said:
when you actually open it up and look in
you don't really get that much for 2 grand
I was talking to a FN rep at my gunshop a fue weeks ago and he said the accual price of the FS2000 would be about $1100 retail if not fot the fact that they are foreign made and all the taxes licences and fees they have to pay to import them and all the fees, AKA bribes they had to pay just to get it approved for import. As for mine, I am thinking I will epoxy the part back in place and then reinforce it by drilling through it into the body and then epoxying a steel rod in place. This may be something others may choose to do as a preventative measure to streingthen this part and prevent a situation like mine. As it is so crutial to the guns ability to work whatsoever I would advise doing this before trusting the rifle fully. although I have fired over fifteen thousand rounds through mine and it is obviously a long term use failure It may be smart for FN to reinforce this part at the factory because I am shure I am not the only one who uses this gun allot.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Got it fixed, Epoxied a stainless steel threaded rod through the broken piece and into the body of the gun. It should make this piece stronger than new.

·
Registered
23 Posts
why not call Bob about this ? I'd be interested to know what he would have to say about it. This is the first I've heard of this , and that's a shame because I really like the 2000...now I'm considering weather or not to sell mine and buy another FAL.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
sentinel said:
why not call Bob about this ? I'd be interested to know what he would have to say about it. This is the first I've heard of this , and that's a shame because I really like the 2000...now I'm considering weather or not to sell mine and buy another FAL.
Keep in mind I had over fifteen thousand rounds through mine before this happened. I have never had a single gun that didn't have something go wrong within the first ten thousand rounds the FS2000 made it half again longer before anything broke. I was only sugesting that FN should reinforce this part at the factory to enable the rifle to exceed twenty or even thirty thousand rounds without a problem.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Great post!

I think FS2000 is impressive and reliable after I read this. 15k rounds. That is a lot of rounds through the firearm.

I would also like to see how FN will handle this as well. I think FN should be proud of their firearm AND also show customers what kinda great service they have for the customers.

:D

·
Registered
43 Posts

Your extensive endurance testing is much appreciated, and gives guys like me a reason to have faith the gun will work for a considerable period of time (under average use) before a catastrophic failure occurs.

Jim

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok guys, I need some help. I fixed the broken piece and the gun functioned perfectly while cycling snap caps through it. But I brought it in to work today and during a slow time I snuck back into the range and fired it. I got one shot and, exactly like last time, the bolt got stuck back almost all the way to the rear. It is not jaming on the spent shell casing because the casing was ejected into the ejection tube. I simply cant tell what it is getting stuck on but just like last time it is stuck so sevearly that I have to seperate the two halvs of rifle to get it out. The only thing I can think is I somehow installed something upside down or backwards when I took the gun appart to duracoat it. the problem is I don't have another one in my gunshop to compair parts and see if something is different with mine. So here is where I need some help, If someone could take some pictures of your bolt carrier from all angles so I can compair it to mine and hopfully it will be something simple. Now a much more undesirable problem may have sprung from my recient trip to arizona. I spent a week in arizona reciently and while there I fired several thousand rounds through my fs2000 most of them through my silencer. I had not used the silencer on it before the trip and in the last couple of rounds on the last day I began to experience minor jams I took the gun back home and throughly cleaned it but when i took it to the range the jambing issue continued. I took the gun completly appart to duracoat it and then took it back to the range I got three rounds through it before it completly locked up. And now every time I shoot it I get one shot. A major bummer to be shure so any photoes anyone could get to me would be much appreciated so that hopfully I can figure out what is going on.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I can try it, but my cam's Macro works only when it feels like it.

Hold on a few min.

Arg, so far there all blury.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks, Thats what I needed. Unfortunatly the part I thought I had wrong is configured exactly as it should be. The only thing I can think to do now is buy another gun and start traiding parts untill I find wich one is not working. :cry:

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
No, havn't got it fixed yet. but only because I havn't had time to take it appart and fool around with it. I have a couple more theories about what whent wrong. one of wich is that the first time I took it appart a year ago there where washers placed on the bolts holding the two halvs together between the two halvs spacing them appart by a tiny ammount. these washers were lost and I put it back together, It worked fine so I didnt give it a second thought back then but its possible that those washers provided and extra fudge room for the mooving parts inside and by duracoating it (inside and out) I made the parts (already very close) too close and thus causing jambs. I am going to buy some more washers and try puting them back in and see if that fixes it.

·
Registered
147 Posts
mcguiver-007 said:
No, havn't got it fixed yet. but only because I havn't had time to take it appart and fool around with it. I have a couple more theories about what whent wrong. one of wich is that the first time I took it appart a year ago there where washers placed on the bolts holding the two halvs together between the two halvs spacing them appart by a tiny ammount. these washers were lost and I put it back together, It worked fine so I didnt give it a second thought back then but its possible that those washers provided and extra fudge room for the mooving parts inside and by duracoating it (inside and out) I made the parts (already very close) too close and thus causing jambs. I am going to buy some more washers and try puting them back in and see if that fixes it.
FYI -- i took mine apart and there were no such washers (didn't lose them -- there just weren't any). my gun is also an early gun with the early evil trigger group. wish i knew then answer, but I don't think that's it.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well I finally got sick of stairing at my FS2000 sitting in my safe so I decided to do or die and figure out what the problem is. I took it appart again and relized that I am missing two of the pins that go between the two halvs of the guns body. I relized the two pins were located behind the toilet lid and the stock do more than just suport the seam between the two halvs they also provide a more durable ( steel rods rather than the plastic body ) surface for the part of the bolt carrier that pushes the spent casings out to slide against. this explains why the problem was progressive after taking the gun appart and loosing the pins the bolt carrier began wearing into the plastic body soon it wore deep enough that when the gun was fired the bolt carrier would get stuck into the groove. I replaced the pins and test fired it this morning 500 rounds without a single failure :D :-D :D :shock: 8) back up and running and it feels great.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts