FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a new PS90 (which came with a 50rd magazine), along with 5 additional 50rd magazines.

I was my intention to load up a magazine and go test fire after cleaning the gun per the instructions, but upon trying to load the magazine that came with the gun, I found that it would bind after inserting 25 rounds or so. I disassembled the magazine per the instructions and looked for burrs (which I found one on the end of a roller pin) and cleaned the follower and pins up lightly with a file. I am still having binding and jams to the point where a jam occurs and the last few rounds inserted will just fall out. A firm tap will make the follower snap the remaining rounds into place.

I tried two of the other magazines with the same results, with the third being the worst. I actually have a round jammed in that magazine at the ramp that I can't get out.

Short of sending all of these back to FN is there anything I can do? I am considering the delrin pins for the magazines but the issue seems to go further than that.

Thanks!

Jake

·
Premium Member
9,524 Posts
You can try lightly sanding the follower. I had to do that on a couple of my mags, they work smoothly now.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have sanded the followers very lightly in an attempt to smooth things out with no luck. I don't have a problem ordering the Man Kave pins if I thought it would solve the problem, but I don't see what the addition of new pins will do fix the follower binding inside the magazine.

It's a brand new gun with brand new factory magazines, IMO it should work right out of the box.

·
Premium Member
21,753 Posts
It's a brand new gun with brand new factory magazines, IMO it should work right out of the box.
Ship it back to the factory. They will fix it or replace it.

Reactions: STL and LESTER

·
Premium Member
9,524 Posts
I agree. If that didn't fix them, send them back to FN. They'll replace them. Not quickly, mind you, but they'll make it right.

·
Premium Member
9,524 Posts
Reactions: jhs27275

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I bumped my post count enough to be able to PM, so I am going to try and get some of these new pins to test with. If that fails, I'll send them back to FN.

Thanks for the tips guys!

·
Registered
22,109 Posts
There could be some burrs on the mag body inside. Just like you found on the rollers. Use a file to remove them, if you find any.

·
Registered
22,109 Posts
Oh, make sure they are FN mag's and not after market one's.

·
Banned
1,896 Posts
Do the mag bodies looked warped as if they have been in some extreme heat? Other than a burr on the follower I don't know what else could cause your issue. What ammo are you loading?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
They are all brand new FN mags purchased directly through the dealer with the gun, no damage on them.

How do you disassemble the mags past the point described in the manual? The body of the magazine looks like one piece.

·
Registered
3,284 Posts
They are all brand new FN mags purchased directly through the dealer with the gun, no damage on them.

How do you disassemble the mags past the point described in the manual? The body of the magazine looks like one piece.
There is a hole in butt plate, depress, slide plate off slowly. Take out components, replace with MK pins should be there Thursday.

To split the Magazine ( you can't ) you could only remove the FEED mechanism and will have to probably crack the ultrasonic weld, which may require you to use adhesive upon re-assembly ! I wouldn't !

FN mags are made to wear out along with the Magazine release .... both are expendable items with planned obsolescence ???

There are several things that plague the FN mags & aftermarket mags. ONE being the eccentric rollers, an other being the tapered/warped body of the magazine due to molding process parameters. Sometimes they are warped ( primarily prevalent in NON FN mags or Korean mags ) the MK Rollers help in both cases. They are not a gimmick, they help loading & feeding issues and concerns. AS always if you feel they were an unsaticfactory purchase... simply PM me & return them I will refund your money less shipping ( of course ). I have sold about 800 and not heard a complaint or had a return. If you look at your OEM rollers you will see all kinds of issues, better yet if you roll them on a surface plate or flat surface the roller may be distorted/eccentric/ect... it doesn't take much to jam while loading rounds due to the design & confined space.
I have had OEM rollers that were OK also, I just swapped them all out. If you want to evaluate the MK Rollers ??? DO This !
Set a OEM Roller'ed mag next to a MK Roller'ed mag and load, you will be able to see/feel a difference right in front of you.
I guess my only concern is that you have sanded your follower, not sure how that will effect things, never have done any testing with the MK Rollers & follower modification. I just installed the Rollers and my binding issue had resolved it self. IN MY OPINION.... in addition to not enough clearance...there is such a thing as too much clearance ! It can go both ways when fitting components together for function. I have not seen any mags that were not able to be helped with the MK Rollers... just saying !

Just for the record, I try to bring " worthy " components to the marketplace... to better the platform. I don't believe you can find better products than I offer.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have no doubt they will improve things. Ahh the frustrations of a new (to me) platform...

I really appreciate all of the information that various people have posted on the board. Hopefully one day when I am a seasoned FN man I can return the favor!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well I got my Man Kave pins today and installed them in two magazines. Loading one of the problem magazines, I was able to get about 35 rounds in one magazine before it jammed.

I then proceeded to open a 2nd box of ammo. I immediately noticed a different texture on these rounds. They felt almost lubricated, unlike what I had loaded into the prior magazine. I was able to load all 50 rounds.

I then proceeded to remove the ammo and pins from the first magazine, and installed the pins in the factory magazine that came with the gun and proceeded to load that first box of ammo. Jams after 10-15 rounds consistently. I then removed that ammo, cracked open a third box, and was able to load all 50 rounds.

I then opened a fourth and final box, and loaded 50 rounds into a factory magazine with no issues.

So.. it would appear that I got a bad box of ammo here. Visually I cannot see a difference, but I can feel one when handling the rounds much in the same way I can feel a difference between the factory and Man Kave pins.

The problem ammo was AE5728A Lot #1125369101. All three other boxes were AE5728A Lot #010746903. I just grabbed the four top boxes on the shelf at Gander Mountan (they only had AE) and ended up with a bad box it seems.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts