FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to try my hand at making a few holsters, but I'm falling way short on resources to point me in the right direction. I can't even find any leather working classes around here. I know there's a book by Tandy leathers about making holsters, and I intend to pick it up, but it doesn't look quite like what I'm looking for.

Any of you have any tips or information I could use? I don't even know squat about materials, so don't assume you'd be insulting by talking to me like an idiot. :oops:

Any and all information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
954 Posts
'Fraid I can't help you, but I like the idea of making things yourself. The bestthing I've heard of people doing is using sheets of some type of plastic, cutting it up, then using torches to mold it into shape. That was years ago, though.

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
Got to Youtube and other video sites and type in Kydex for the plastic holsters and other key words as"leather holster" to find vids on it. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Are there any specific videos on there that you could link me to? All I can find are reviews for holsters. :-?

·
Registered
134 Posts
This is a good little basic tutorial on making a leather holster. It's spread out over several pages; use the blue arrows at the bottom to navigate.

·
Registered
19 Posts
you could join leatherworker.net (gotta join to see the pics, but it's free and a great leather resource) and check all the threads about holsters. I'd been working with leather for years but never did holsters until I ran across that site.

·
Registered
19 Posts
here's my most recent holster I've made using the knowledge I learned from leatherworker.net. didn't use the greatest area from the hide, but that's coz it's just for me and it's an IWB. if I can learn this, anybody else else can too! *L*

·
Registered
19 Posts
macattack
great find! one thing to add, any leather that is going to come into contact with the pistol needs to be vegtan. chrometanned leather will eat the finish.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts