FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, So I've spent the last couple of weeks working on the evil black AR's. A new barrel here, some new trigger sets there, and assembling stripped lowers over there, this one needs a flip up iron sight... What started out to be 3 quickly turned into 5... "Well, I already have these parts left over so I might as well buy this other part... "

Anyway... I'm nearing the end and getting some new mags for them seemed the right thing to do. I had 30 rounders but I only had one 20 rounder. I like the 20's better because they take up less space and are easier to bench shoot with (which it what I do the most of).

I bought 10 brand new aluminum mags with pretty green followers and they are of course... grey.

I want them to be BLACK like the rifles are. How, and what, can I use to coat my mags black? I don't know why they do not come black parkerized instead of grey anyway.

Some of my 30 rounders look like they were spray painted black... I don't want that. Any ideas on how to turn grey parkerized mags nice and black like the rifles in a coating that will wear well when being used?

Thanx

TA

·
Registered
15,562 Posts
Duracoating would probably be the best - but if U want to do it yourself, I don't know. Some guys use Krylon to do their own camo patterns - in the pics, at least, it looks decent....

·
Registered
302 Posts
Sharpie's!

Anyone know the name of that stuff you spray on then bake in the oven? Thats what I did some of my old steel mags with when they rusted.

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think I'll ask Hardcorps to coat them in duracoat flat black.
Thanx!

TA

·
Registered
88 Posts
The mags are supposed to be grey. If you really want black mags, buy a few black P-Mags from magpul for display and leave the rest of your USGI mags as they were made from the factory.

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Why are they still supposed to be grey? Back when AR's were light grey the mags were also grey, I can understand that.

Over the years rifles have gotten darker and darker, to a dark charcoal, and now to almost black. Why are the mags still anodized light grey?

I was told of a place called US Anodizing that will do it.
http://www.usanodizing.com/

TA

·
Registered
88 Posts
Actually many military rifles are now being produced in "flat dark earth", not black.

I am what you call a purist collector. I never modify the color of my guns uness I am trying to duplicate a military finish or color of an actual factory made military firearm. If it came from the factory with a gray finish, then it stays gray.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts