FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks to others here for inspiration in making a custom fitted case for the PS90.

- Update and explanation - I know I can find many easier ways to do this, I just kinda want a project that will keep me occupied during the holidays and end up with a rifle case that doesn't look like a rifle case. I'd like something that if people saw me carrying it they wouldn't immediately assume it was a gun. I've even gone as far as looking into making a fake GUITAR that would itself be a case, but don't think my skill levels are quite that high. I live and work in Nashville, so it is completely normal to see someone with a guitar or mandolin case strapped over their shoulder.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0A7lGXylXz0

PT 1 -

I went to my local used music shop and the only cases I found that would fit one with optics were either too large, required I buy the instrument that came in them, or just looked like rifle cases anyway. I could have ordered something, but that would have required patience and more money. I could have done that, but if that were the plan I might as well just order a made to fit case from Bulldog. I kind of wanted a project and do it myself.

I've got an old hard rifle case that functions but the foam was shot to hell so figured I'd at least try it out with that. I pulled all the fried foam from the bottom and pushed in a large piece of green styrofoam I got from Michaels crafts supply. I traced an outline of the rifle with a sharpie then got to work hacking the foam out with and old pocket knife.

Once the shape and depth was right I sprayed on some 3M adhesive and applied a couple scraps of crushed red velvet I had laying around in my tool box, everybody has that right? After it dried I test fitted it and made some alterations, used pieces of the old foam to built it up as needed and as padding for the bottom of the case.

When it was done it looked fairly good but didn't fit as well as I'd have liked. Plus, a couple days later I got a butt extension for the PS90 so it nolonger fit the cutout.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
PT 2 -

Pictures of this stage to follow at some point.

Went back to Michaels craft shop last night and got another piece of styrofoam, the same size as before but half the thickness. This will speed the process up as I'll have less to have to cut through and clean up afterwards. The job of the styrofoam is more to secure and hold the rifle in place than to protect it, I'll be using the scraps of soft foam and the lining material for the protection part.

Along with the foam I also splurged and bought a tool for working with foam, basicly just a soldering iron/wood burning pen device with a long needle looking thing that gets hot and melts/cuts through the foam. It worked very VERY well before I broke it one minute into the job, turns out it's a delicate little bugger - gonna take it back and try to get it replaced. I ended up going back to the pocket knife routine of hack and slash. Not an elegant solution but it works. Any imperfections in the foam can be hidden when covered with fabric later.

Instead of trying to glue fabric down onto and around the finished form this time, which worked fairly well but was a pain, I am going to just glue a single flat sheet of fabric over the form. Once dried I'll cut straight down through the fabric where the rifle will go and then try and cut, tack, tuck the fabric inside and under the bottom of the foam. This should go much faster and allow room to hide mistakes whereas glueing a single piece of fabric down into and OVER the form resulted in lots of wrinkles, glue fingerprints, etc. This will result in the bottom of the case being uncovered so for protection and visual contrast I got some faux fur scraps that are about the right size to glue to the bottom of the case.

The leftover fabric will then be used to cover the remaining original foam in the lid of the case.

I know this is fairly useless without pics so will take some and update the post later.

UPDATE - Glued the fabric taught over the foam form, let it dry, and then cut it down the center to start the process of tucking it in. That just ain't gonna work. Some pieces too long, others too short. now thinking of cutting a long strip that would be the correct length to go around the inside of the form and glue that over it. If I am neat I should be able to do it fairly well. The white fur for the bottom of the case is perfect however.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
PT 3 -

A: The next case in theory: I am thinking of making another using some Stuffit expanding foam, the kind used for insulation. My idea is that instead of putting the foam in and then carving it out for the rifle, I'll completely and very VERY carefully wrap the rifle in saran wrap and place that down into the wet foam before it dries for a perfect fit.

I'll test this theory out on something a little less painful to replace than a PS90, perhaps a broken tool or something with some interesting features to make an impression of. I figure as long as the foam doesn't eat through the saran wrap, and I do a good enough job of wrapping and sealing it before placing it in the wet foam, it would result in a perfect mold to which fabric could then be glued directly to once the item is removed.

B: Another case I am toying around with idea wise... though it involves money that could be better spent... A Coffin Case.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
true true, this is really just a project to keep me busy during the holidays so that I don't kill a family member or three. I'm also hoping to send up with something that is not instantly obvious to be a gun case. Granted, I am currently working with a gun case but it's more of an experiment to see how best to go about doing it. If it works I might use leather instead of fabric in whatever I end up making the next one for.

Future cases would be for my UZI, AK, and MINI-14. Possible some smaller ones for pistols.

I have seen online some guitar cases for Xbox and PS3 guitar hero controllers that have the game logos all over them, that would possibly work well if they were the right size.

:twisted:

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
welp, in trying to pull the foam up a bit to work on the finishing details I succeeded in destroying it. Think I'll try that stuffit foam for the next one...

the satin I bought as a lining is okay, but the velvet and fur was much better. If only I could find white and purple tiger striped velvet.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Additional case ideas

Piping up after a long time lurking.

Here is a thought ... not that i want to curb your creativity.

I have carried my HK91, Mossberg 590, 9mmAR, and my new LMT AR, at one time or another. in my KACES III brand Gigbag (model # KS-10)

It is a black triangular nylon softcase it has a padded handle plus shoulder straps so you can wear it like a backpack. The shape and straps is what makes it look "non gun" it has sufficient padding and strength to carry what ever you need. It will not be a super custom foam fitted case however, but it does get the job done and it was probably priced around 40 --bucks. I bought this case about 10years ago so finding the exact thing may be out.

In addition it has a 2 sectioned pouch on the outside to carry music picks and such. The pouches will hold 8 30rd AR mags. I have not tried p90mags yet but I would guess maybe 4 or so. With out printing terribly.

So there is another option for transport.

Also - another Idea to dress down your "rock n roll" case ---head out to the local music store or hot-topic type place, and pick up couple of bucks worth of band/music/whatever stickers and plaster them on. Distress a few and there ya go... almost no self respecting guitar owner can resist decorating their case with begged bought borrowed or stolen decals of their favorite radio station, band, guitar strings etc

So there ya have it some wisdom from the new guy, what do you think?

:shock:

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
All I need is some Obama stickers... you've got the perfect idea there.

·
Registered
1 Posts
so where did you get this specific case from

It's much easier to get this "pluck out foam" case
you can create a custom case in minutes

I would love to do this with my case, the instruments on mine might be a little wider, has a surefire one side, laser on the other, but if I can get a case close to yours I would go for it.

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
CLEAR! (Thump) ......beep......beep......beep.....beep.beep......beep.beep......beep.beep.......beep.beep, Ok were good thread resurrected must be a new record. :-D

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Almost 4 1/2 years later!!! :gojobkb8: :th_4_17_2: ::!!!::

1 - 12 of 12 Posts