FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all... I am a new member of the Forum but have been lurking for awhile. I have a standard SCAR 17s that I shoot and love. I have searched, but can't seem to find, if anyone has put one of the new KAC MAMS 5/8' thread brakes on their SCAR 17. I already have a MAMS brake that I was planning on using on a different gun but could easily choose to put it on the SCAR instead. If anyone has put a MAMS on, I would appreciate their thoughts or findings. If someone considered it but chose not to do it for a specific reason (other than price) I would appreciate those thoughts as well.

From my perspective the reason I have considered it is two-fold:
1. I have a KAC SR-15 that I recently added a mini-MAMS to and the difference in recoil was impressive. Obviously this is a different caliber and style of gun so the comparison may not be valid but it got me thinking about it.
2. I have never run a suppressor on my SCAR (and truthfully I may never) but by putting a MAMS on it would allow me to use the same suppressor I have for my SR-25 (that also uses a MAMS). Again, I may never use a suppressor on my SCAR (as I like to keep it light) but when you have one sitting around occasionally you get the urge to use it.

Again, I appreciate any thoughts people have (weight difference, recoil, etc.). Thanks

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
I've run the MAMS on my 17, It is very effective at what it does and is a great fit for the rifle however the benefit of the MAMS is much greater on the 16" gas gun it was designed for. The surefire brake was just as effective, albeit with a larger flash and concussion but at 1/3 price on the SCAR 17.

On my Sr-25 EMC however, the MAMS truely shines, makes that rifle feel like a heavy 5.56.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So I finally had a chance to fire the SCAR 17S with the KAC MAMS brake on it. I replaced the standard brake that comes with the SCAR (actually had a gunsmith replace it - I didn't trust myself to do it right). With the MAMS brake on the SCAR, it measures approximately 1/8th of an inch longer than the standard brake. The weight difference is less then a half an ounce (I can't be precise because I made one other change to the charging handle so that might've effected the weight as well). Suffice it to say the weight difference is negligible.

Shot 100 rounds through it today at an outdoor range. Seemed a little bit quieter and lacked the flash of the standard brake but I can't back that up scientifically. As far as the recoil... I would agree with 15ICAM in terms of its effectiveness (keep in mind I didn't have a Surefire Brake on the gun beforehand). There is no question that the MAMS is a step up in performance vs. the standard brake on the gun. Is it worth the $350 price (vs. the Surefire at $120 or $150)? I can't say for sure. The mini-MAMS on a KAC SR-15 is literally light years ahead of the standard KAC brake - it transforms the gun. In the case of the SCAR 17, the MAMS is an improvement for sure but not revolutionary. With that said, I am very happy with my decision. As I mentioned in an earlier post, since I have three KAC QDC suppressors the MAMS gives me added versatility to use those suppressors on the SCAR (without buying another model suppressor)... so it makes sense economically in my case (I did not shoot the gun with the suppressors on it yet). I am happy to share any other thoughts if anyone has specific questions.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
sophrosyne... please share the KAC QDC supressors, I have seen very few examples in the wild and would love to get your impression of them... do share pics and details

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I will share more with you as I use them... I haven't had much of a chance recently (I work in finance and tax season is a very busy time). I have shot the QDC 5.56, 7.62 and 7.62CQB suppressors but I have not put a lot of rounds through any of them so my observations at this point are completely preliminary. As I said earlier, I have not shot any of them on a SCAR (only KAC firearms so far). My favorite application of the ones I tried was the the 7.62CQB suppressor on a KAC 300blk 9.5 inch barrel. Total length of the gun was 16 inches or less with the suppressor on it. Shooting subsonic loads was amazing - no misfires, no issues and they were super quiet. I noticed no real difference between the sound level on the CQB and the standard 7.62 length suppressor when firing the 300blk (although I am sure there was one). Took the suppressor off and fed a magazine of supersonic 300blk through the gun and it worked flawlessly. I am not trying to take us off topic from the SCAR 17 but a 9.5 inch 300blk rifle that takes pmags is a fun little thing to shoot (even better when suppressed). I shot the 5.56 suppressor on a KAC Sr-15 Mod1 - not sure that it helps that much (and the gun gets real long and heavy at the end). I shot a KAC SR-25 EC (not mine) with the larger 7.62 suppressor (also not mine) on it and it was great. I am a large guy (6'6"-6'7" 300 pounds) so I don't generally complain about something being too heavy or too large for me to handle but I certainly would not want to carry an SR-25 with a suppressor, 4 mags and a scope around all day!

If anyone has any specific questions feel free to let me know. Again I am NO expert (on anything really) but certainly not on suppressors. I have never fired a gun with any other suppressors than the ones mentioned above. I just like heading out to the desert (my range is in the desert) and having a good time every once and awhile. Hopefully I will have more thoughts/experience in the future.

·
Registered
2,125 Posts

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
thanks for the intial feedback on the KAC QDC. I bet the CQB would be killer on a short 300BO. I'd be interested in hearing how the mounting system holds up as well as POI shift with/without the can

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
thanks for the intial feedback on the KAC QDC. I bet the CQB would be killer on a short 300BO. I'd be interested in hearing how the mounting system holds up as well as POI shift with/without the can
Once I get some more time firing it, I will post more thoughts and a larger data set. The first time I shot it, I was just playing with a new. I am really excited about it though... the SBR 300blk with the CQB suppressor is just so easy to hold and control.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Does anyone know if the MAMs will make the 13" legal if pinned? Emailed Marvin, but didn't get a straight answer.

I'd like to know before I butcher my stock barrel if I could just get a 13", sell the 16" and recoup some of the cost.

·
Premium Member
5,859 Posts
Does anyone know if the MAMs will make the 13" legal if pinned? Emailed Marvin, but didn't get a straight answer.

I'd like to know before I butcher my stock barrel if I could just get a 13", sell the 16" and recoup some of the cost.
The MAMS will not by itself add enough length to the 13" barrel to get you to the required legal limit from what I could come up with, The MAMS will come up to 15.6" from the math I came come up with once it threaded down.

You will need something closer to 13.7" barrel length to be safe.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts