FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Man kicked out of apartment after shooting at crook

A man and his family are being kicked out of their apartment for trying to stop thieves from stealing their car. The problem is they tried to use Texas justice to stop the crooks.

For one man and his family living at the Landera apartment complex on Blanco, enough was enough. In the past eight months, several neighbors had their cars broken into or stolen.

His family's apartment window had been shattered, and his car had been broken into or vandalized three times.

"It's just tough to swallow something that you work so hard for to get taken away from you so easily," said the man, who didn't want to be identified.

Early Tuesday morning, the thieves came back. They shattered his car's back window but took off. The man called the police, filed a report, but still had a bad feeling.

"I just told my neighbor, maybe we should stay up, keep an eye on things tonight," he said.

Three hours later, the thieves were back.

"The driver's side guy got out, ran toward my vehicle," he said.

The man ran outside and shot his gun at them five or six times. He injured one of the suspects, but he is not facing charges.

"Texas law states you can protect your personal property, even if it's deadly force," the man said.

Even so, he and his family were given an eviction notice.

"We had three days to leave," he said.

His lease says residents can't possess a gun or discharge a gun in the complex. But he believes it's an unfair clause in this case.

"You're victimized and then on top of that, you're being kicked out on the street for protecting something that you have the right to protect," he said.

The man says he can't move somewhere in only three days, nor can he afford it. The apartment complex management declined to comment.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/local_news/Man_kicked_out_of_apartment_after_shooting_at_crook.html

·
Premium Member
2,955 Posts
dtheman said:
Those apartment complex rules are probably in direct violation of local and state law
+1 -- I'm sure he could fight this, but it doesn't sound like a place I would want to live anyway. Hopefully he can get his family into a better place.

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Actually - I have heard of many apartments that prohibit weapons (guns). It can be legally done, if it is in the contract and you sign the lease.

·
Registered
21,554 Posts
This guy is screwed. I don't think he would be able to fight it. If it was in the contract that he signed, he was in direct violation of that contract and can be subsequently evicted for it. It really sucks for him. Try to protect your property and you get kicked out of your apartment. It was a lose-lose situation for him.

·
Registered
305 Posts
This guy just needs to sit tight. If the landlord or owner wants to evict him, then he will need to start with filling a motion to evict in court. If the lease that was signed is not a legal document, with regard to the "no firearms clause" then the landlord will lose and be responsible for court cost and legal fees. And this all will take much long than 3 days......

·
Premium Member
4,057 Posts
In TX if you want to evict someone in 3 days or less it has to be a money issue. If not the landlord/management has to give 30 days notice. I need to go look it up to be sure.

·
Premium Member
3,591 Posts
ShipWreck said:
The man ran outside and shot his gun at them five or six times. He injured one of the suspects, but he is not facing charges.
5 or 6 shots with only one suspect injured.
Anyone else see anything wrong with that?
As in, what about the rounds that missed?

He put other people across from his apartment in danger. I would assume that has something to deal with his eviction as well.

·
Banned
4,097 Posts
1-2 shots max is all you need unless its a zombie attack :?

·
Registered
305 Posts
tqtran said:
ShipWreck said:
5 or 6 shots with only one suspect injured.
Anyone else see anything wrong with that?
As in, what about the rounds that missed?

He put other people across from his apartment in danger. I would assume that has something to deal with his eviction as well.
Anytime you discharge a firearm in an urban setting, there is a chance someone could get hit who wasn't the intended target. Even if your a LEO........

1 - 10 of 10 Posts