FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
In the wake of the Charleston shooting, Sens. Joe Manchin (D-W.Va.) and Pat Toomey (R-Pa.) are considering ways to renew their failed push to expand meaningful background checks on gun purchases.

In separate interviews Tuesday night, at a reception before a ceremony hosted by Sandy Hook families where Toomey was honored, the senators discussed their desire to find a new way forward.
Manchin, Toomey both interested in reviving gun control push - The Washington Post

You can find a link to their contact form (and that of your own Senators) here:

U.S. Senate

UPDATE : http://cqrcengage.com/gunowners/app/write-a-letter?engagementId=113036

·
Registered
22,109 Posts
Not surprised.

This happens every time something is big in the news with respect to guns.

Reactions: monsterdog

·
Registered
241 Posts
I'm going to poke my head in here today because I'm bored..... Personally I think the NRA should come forward and push for SOMETHING to be proactive... I've been thinking about the one that would be the least amount of damage and shut up most of the critics. What if the NRA pushed closing the gun show loophole in this way:

If you enter a gun show, you can without any extra scrutiny. If you wish to purchase a firearm (private or from an FFL) you have to have a background check done at the door and you wear a wrist band. In Texas a CHL counts as a background check since the state will pull your license immediately upon conditions that prohibit you from having a firearm.

This would still allow for paperless sales from private sellers.

Alright,
Flame suit on.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Personally I think the NRA should come forward and push for SOMETHING to be proactive...
There is nothing "proactive" you can do, even the simplest and well-meaning gun bills (pro- or anti-) get hijacked with a wishlist of terrible amendments. So even restrictions that gun owners might actually not find so bad, becomes a battle to avoid idiotic and ineffective "assault weapon" bans and all kinds of other things. By introducing a proactive bill to deal with background checks at gun shows, you're essentially handing anti-gun politicians two pieces of bread and telling them to put whatever they want in their sandwich. Not to mention that the original intent would stop no statistically significant crime.

Up until 2013 this was the default mode of writing gun-laws, but gun owners are just not willing to concede any more ground until existing laws that have no measurable effect gets repealed, and those that might have an effect gets properly enforced.

It goes something like this cartoon:

Cake And Compromise ? Illustrated Guide To Gun Control

·
Registered
105 Posts
I already did my bgc when I got my chl... but I would like to have something in place for private sales. I don't sell private too often and mostly just trade, but I am always weary of who I do deals with even if they seem upstanding.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Requiring background checks for private sales will do nothing to stop people who who sell or give guns to criminals and psychotics. It will just be yet another infringement on the God-given, Constitutionally enumerated rights of law-abiding citizens.

And make no mistake, folks, gun control has absolutely nothing to do with reducing crime. The purpose is to keep the proletariat under control.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I already did my bgc when I got my chl... but I would like to have something in place for private sales. I don't sell private too often and mostly just trade, but I am always weary of who I do deals with even if they seem upstanding.
There is something in place, you can do the transfer at a gun store?

But I agree, you should be able to do a simplified NICS check from your phone. LazarusLong is right though, it won't stop anyone who don't care about the law from transferring guns.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
There is nothing "proactive" you can do, even the simplest and well-meaning gun bills (pro- or anti-) get hijacked with a wishlist of terrible amendments. So even restrictions that gun owners might actually not find so bad, becomes a battle to avoid idiotic and ineffective "assault weapon" bans and all kinds of other things. By introducing a proactive bill to deal with background checks at gun shows, you're essentially handing anti-gun politicians two pieces of bread and telling them to put whatever they want in their sandwich. Not to mention that the original intent would stop no statistically significant crime.

Up until 2013 this was the default mode of writing gun-laws, but gun owners are just not willing to concede any more ground until existing laws that have no measurable effect gets repealed, and those that might have an effect gets properly enforced.

It goes something like this cartoon:

Cake And Compromise ? Illustrated Guide To Gun Control
Exactly, it's like getting a warm hug from an Anaconda, pretty soon you can't take a breath and you're rights are dead. Time and time again, past compromise is just not enough when the next crisis hits. They will want more and more control until private firearms become a thing of the past. In the twisted logic of gun grabbers any gun they leave behind is going to cause death and mayhem, so they must get rid of all firearms.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts