Votes: 77 48.1%
  • No

Votes: 83 51.9%
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just wondering what the opinions are on getting the manual safety on a FNS-40/9. Do you like it or not. What are the reasons for your answer? Thanks for helping out a new guy from Indiana.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Welcome Hoosier!!! Some people have an issue with guns with safeties but I do not. If you don't like the idea of one, don't use it. Sure the FNS-9 may not have the Glock safety system, if you handle w/o a safety, you must handle it safely. I have no issues with the safety on my FNS-9. It is not too large and operates smooth. I use the gun for IDPA so there are no issues as I do not use the safety. Also use for HD and keep it in condition one, with the safety on. It can be clicked off easily with the thumb if it needs to go hot.

Enjoy your new gun.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the welcome. Was just a slight concern because I'm recently married and I know how to handle a gun. Time to really get down to brass tacks on it with my wife.
I kind of don't like how the missing safety was filled in on it though either. Mostly planning on target practice with some light concealed carry work with and IWB holster.

·
Premium Member
10,027 Posts
I have a FNS-9 with the safety. I got it right when they came out, and the no-safety versions were harder to come by. I don't have a problem with it. It's easy for me to manipulate. Either way, familiarity/practice is the key.

·
Registered
21,553 Posts
I prefer it without the safety. It has a trigger safety, which IMO is good enough on a DA striker fired gun. The safety is small and I'd rather not miss it if it accidentally got put on when I needed it (even if I didn't use it, I'd still train to sweep it down just to make sure it was off)

·
Registered
20 Posts
I like the safety. It's the reason I went with the FNS over the Glock19.

It's small enough to ignore, big enough to be useful and in a nice location.

I rarely use it but when I do it's nice to have.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I won't buy a firearm without a safety; they're that ingrained in my personal manual of arms. Safety Protocol was drilled into my firearms etiquette by my father in a fashion that would make a boot instructor jealous...to the point that the times I've fired Glocks and other guns without safeties, I've felt a degree of apprehension because there was a step missing from my protocol. Draw, disengage, fire, re-engage, holster. I know perfectly well that the Glock-style trigger safety is more than sufficient to prevent an accidental discharge on a firearm with a 4 1/2 - 6 1/2 pound trigger pull, but there it is. If you hand me a "hot" firearm with a disengaged safety, I'll even go so far as to engage it myself so that I can disengage it at the proper time in my sequence.

As far as the safety on the FNS, it's the easiest and most pleasant safety I've ever worked with...neither too large nor too small, and neither disengaging too easily nor requiring so much force as to interfere with alignment if you're bringing the weapon to bear in a hurry. It simply comes off with a gentle flick of the thumb, and I've never had it change state while holstered.

(As an aside Byron, the safety isn't "filled in"...it was just never removed in the first place. The grip is the same for every FNS, whether they have a manual safety or not; the ones without just never had the cutout removed from the molded lower (though the guide lines are still visible.)

·
Registered
272 Posts
No safety.

You have enough going on if you have to draw and fire your weapon. Why add another unnecessary step?

I just took a class on CQB. I was so task saturated in the shoot house i was forgetting to use my sights! which is pretty freaking basic. But when you have to process shoot/no shoot, ID targets, clear corners, make snap decisions on direction, process through various doors...

no way do i want any more steps than i need. And a safety doesn't keep me any more safe than a gun without one. When the gun is in the holster it is 100% safe, safety or not. when i draw i don't want my hand to have to do ANYTHING other than establish my grip, draw, and present. I don't want to have to flick a switch, easy or not. And for what? What is that safety doing that actually helps me?

The answer is nothing at all.

·
Registered
63 Posts
No safety, especially this one. It is small enough to engage by accident. A 1911 is different, my grip allows my thumb to rest on top of it providing purchase on the gun and preventing it from engaging when I don't want it to. The FNS is not large enough to do that. Besides, if a gun has a drop safety then as long as your finger doesn't go into the trigger guard it will not fire. Touch index should be practiced until you are ready to fire, safety or no.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I haven't shot it yet as I wanted the night sights on it. Dealer calls me yesterday and tells me to bring it in today. Turns out he ordered the right one in. Too bad I worked second shift today delivery hadn't comenin yet.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
I shoot FNS Long slide. No safety available. I'm on the fence...but I think I've finally decided I prefer no safety. Knowing your in "ready" mode has given me a secure feeling. I run late at night, and I no longer live near a good edge of the desert area, I'm in the heart of the city. A somewhat desolate road I chose as a running spot. It has NOT gone without incident. But one cannot live in fear or alter his life because crime or scum bags. At the ready has it's place...think about it...no safety vote here.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Safety.

But if there is a firearm I want or need that doesn't have a safety it doesn't stop me from getting it. Maybe some out there own a revolver. But that is a different topic.

Please do not derail the thread with the discussion of "carry condition". I have my system for the circumstance that I am in and I will change it if needs be, but for now, all of my semi-auto's are in the following condition:
- Mag Loaded and Inserted
- Chamber Empty
- Safety off (if it has one)

When needed I rack the slide. If the situation cools down, that is when I want a safety, I put the safety on until I am home or somewhere safe and I drop the mag, remove the round, reload the round, and put the pistol back into the condition I prefer.
If the firearm has a decocker, I decock when the situation cools. If the firearm has no manually controlled / external safety I rely on the internal safeties (in case I trip and fall, etc, etc.)

So, in summary, I want a safety to put the firearm in a condition after a situation has cooled down but I am not yet home or somewhere where I am completely safe and it is safe to temporarily disable my firearm getting it back into my standard condition.

Reactions: thewraith

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
I own three FNS pistols and none of them have manual safeties.

Someone once said, "manual safeties on a striker-fired gun is a hardware fix for a software problem". I agree!

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
I like safety's. All my shotguns and rifles have safety's so It only seems natural. I am not opposed to not having a manual safety, I just personally prefer one if given the option.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.