FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Has anyone added a manual safety on a factory no safety FNS?
I'm afraid you'll find it pretty tough to add a safety. You may need a new frame with the holes drilled correctly and f course the internals. All of which may be unavailable or cost prohibitive. IMO you'd be better off trading your gun in a private deal for a safety model

·
Registered
218 Posts
I'm afraid you'll find it pretty tough to add a safety. You may need a new frame with the holes drilled correctly and f course the internals. All of which may be unavailable or cost prohibitive. IMO you'd be better off trading your gun in a private deal for a safety model

Actually, the way FN manufacturers the frame, you just need an X-acto knife and the new fire control group. The safety cutout is molded into the lower even on the non-safety models, but isn't removed unless it is a safety model. No idea what the new FCG with a safety will cost you, though...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Again I "opened mouth and inserted foot". I'm afraid I'm the eternal pessimist. Sorry for the misinformation. Good luck with your safety install. I bought the safety model only because I like to put a gun in my back pocket when I walk in the field behind my house. I've met the occasional abandoned pit bull back there.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Has anyone here actually done this? I wanted a manual-safety FNS-9L, but bought the version without because they don't currently make a longslide with the safety, and I wanted the longslide or nothing. But you can clearly see on the frame where the safety cutout would have been (the surface texture is slightly different), and now that I see that the manual-safety FCG is only $90...

I can't afford to buy another FNS-9 to swap the slide onto, so my only option is to install a new FCG myself...I just want to know with certainty that it will work before buying it and making the cutout in my frame for the safety lever. And are there any instructions on the site here for how to remove and replace the FCG?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Actually, the way FN manufacturers the frame, you just need an X-acto knife and the new fire control group. The safety cutout is molded into the lower even on the non-safety models, but isn't removed unless it is a safety model. No idea what the new FCG with a safety will cost you, though...
Yes, I just bought a new FNS40 without safety and its molded with cut lines to add a safety if you so desire.
I debated between safety and no safety and the price was the same. I am coming from a Gen 3 Glock 23 so I decided no safety so my manual of arms would be pretty much the same..

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Has anyone here actually done this? I wanted a manual-safety FNS-9L, but bought the version without because they don't currently make a longslide with the safety, and I wanted the longslide or nothing. But you can clearly see on the frame where the safety cutout would have been (the surface texture is slightly different), and now that I see that the manual-safety FCG is only $90...

I can't afford to buy another FNS-9 to swap the slide onto, so my only option is to install a new FCG myself...I just want to know with certainty that it will work before buying it and making the cutout in my frame for the safety lever. And are there any instructions on the site here for how to remove and replace the FCG?
I plan to do mine next month after all my matches for this month is out of the way. Having both the 9L and reg. 40 s&w. I need a back up frame.

This MS will go on the 40 as it is my carry. Locally I haven't seen a MS on any FNS, Just the FNX. I wanna examine a factory MS gun before I proceed.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Reply to Manual Safety concerns.

Locally I haven't seen a MS on any FNS, Just the FNX. I wanna examine a factory MS gun before I proceed.
I have the 9C with manual safety. I think you will like the MS -- it is unlikely that you can trip it by accident, yet it is easy to flick off intentionally. If you choose, you can just leave the MS off all the time and lose nothing. The control is well implemented.

There was one guy on YT who was intending to add an MS.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Maybe this might not be the best location for this question . . . . I like the manual safety but can anyone tell if the gun will fire w/o the mag in? Don't seem to be able find an answer. Why am I interested in this? Let's say you get into a too close for comfort encounter, and you find yourself fighting to keep your weapon. The bad guy gets it out of your hand and there is a round in the chamber ready to go. You somehow are able to dump the mag before losing control. IF the weapon will not fire w/o the mag . . . .

·
Registered
21,553 Posts
Yes, it will fire without a mag.

Reactions: akitainu

·
Registered
8 Posts
From what I understand, the part will fit a longslide, but you have to use a file or something to make the appropriate cutouts in the rear of the frame to clear the safety lever. If you look at the rear of a non-MS FNS, you can see where the cutouts would be (the texture of the plastic is different). I plan to do that at some point, but am researching it first; I really wanted a manual safety, but I wanted a longslide more, but I think I can get both.

Or, if you have the money, you could buy a regular FNS-9 with a manual safety, and a longslide without, swap the slides, and sell the now-safetyless short slide. That's out of my reach at the moment, though.

·
Registered
218 Posts
From what I understand, the part will fit a longslide, but you have to use a file or something to make the appropriate cutouts in the rear of the frame to clear the safety lever. If you look at the rear of a non-MS FNS, you can see where the cutouts would be (the texture of the plastic is different). I plan to do that at some point, but am researching it first; I really wanted a manual safety, but I wanted a longslide more, but I think I can get both.

Or, if you have the money, you could buy a regular FNS-9 with a manual safety, and a longslide without, swap the slides, and sell the now-safetyless short slide. That's out of my reach at the moment, though.
Check your laws first...in some places this would be an illegal sale since it would be considered a modified weapon (the serial numbers on the FNS are fused into the lower beneath the 1911 rail; you would be selling a firearm that no longer matches the specifications of the serial number assigned to it.)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts