FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am really thinking about a ps90 but I have many questions before I purchase one.

I really think I want my own optics, wouldnt the tri-rail be the way to go? if I go with the USG black sight can I remove it and have a rail for mounting my own optics on it? it doesnt look like I can.

At best I am thinking this is a 50yd gun tops, I know it was designed for CQC and isnt intended for far ranges. Is it really more of a novelty gun?

What is the life expectancy of the gun? I do believe in shooting my firearms at the range on a regular basis.

is there any issues of note?

is the short barrel version readily available?

it seems that Tanners is the best bet for purchase, am I correct?

what is the latest word on the available ammo, I had read there was much opposition to this firearm and the 5.7x28 and it was soon to be off the market.

how reliable is the firearm?

I know its a ong list but i am really on the fence with this, I dont know if i want to spend the money on this if is just a novelty item, I can always get another ak or ar in place of it. is the scar being released to general public?

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
iostorm said:
I am really thinking about a ps90 but I have many questions before I purchase one.

I really think I want my own optics, wouldnt the tri-rail be the way to go? if I go with the USG black sight can I remove it and have a rail for mounting my own optics on it? it doesnt look like I can.

At best I am thinking this is a 50yd gun tops, I know it was designed for CQC and isnt intended for far ranges. Is it really more of a novelty gun?

What is the life expectancy of the gun? I do believe in shooting my firearms at the range on a regular basis.

is the short barrel version readily available?

it seems that Tanners is the best bet for purchase, am I correct?

what is the latest word on the available ammo, I had read there was much opposition to this firearm and the 5.7x28 and it was soon to be off the market.

I know its a ong list but i am really on the fence with this, I dont know if i want to spend the money on this if is just a novelty item, I can always get another ak or ar in place of it. is the scar being released to general public?

Thanks for your help!
Step 1 - Go here and read the PS90 mini FAQ:

http://fnforum.net/viewtopic.php?t=4286

As for barrel life - I think it is rated at 20k or so - about average for rifle barrels.

Only place I have ever seen the short barrel version sold is at CMMG - most people just buy theirs and short barrel it lter - if you want to do this. I am satisfied with the way it is, personally.

Never had a feeding issue with mine. Be aware that FN stated that if you short barrel the gun, you loose the warranty.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Agree with everything Ship recommended or stated.

On these two issues, here are my thoughts. If you are 100% sure that you are going to put an aftermarket sight on it, than get the Tri-rail. If not, then yes the USG black sight can be removed and there are options for mounting other sights.

As for the 50yards tops issue, the weapon was designed for accuracy up to 200 meters for non front line troops that normally are issued a M9 pistol. For a comparison, think of it like a modern day M1 carbine.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the quick replies, I guess i am looking for something to motivate me to make this purchase.

whats the story with the release of the SCAR.

Would you take a 2000 over your ps90 if you did it all over again?

I think an issue for me is the non standard ammo.

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
Well, the SCAR won't be out until the end of the year.

As for the ammo - with ammo prices jumping, and the 5.7 basically staying the same, the ammo costs about the same as AR/FS2000 ammo.

I personally prefer the PS90 to the FS2000 - the FS2000 seems too bulky on the front end for my liking.

·
Premium Member
3,591 Posts
Personally, if I was sure I would put my own optic on it, I would still get the USG so that I would have BUIS. Then sell/trade the USSS sight for the optic that you want.

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
tqtran said:
Personally, if I was sure I would put my own optic on it, I would still get the USG so that I would have BUIS. Then sell/trade the USSS sight for the optic that you want.
+1

·
Registered
8 Posts
Depending on where you make your purchase the ring sight model + rails + REM2 can be less than the cost of the tri-rail. If I get a second PS90 I may consider the tr-rail but more likely due to pricing and availability I'd get the same white ring model and then either add a REM2 or replace the sight with a rail and aftermarket sight. Lots of good options out there.

Many definitions of CQC include out to 300 yards. I believe the PS-90 was designed for use under 200 yards and the available civilian ammo is good out to about 150 yards.

All reflex sights that rely only on available light have trouble in some lighting conditions. The ring sights that come with the PS90 are worse than most but something like the REM2 can mitigate this. There are lots of better sight options out there thats for sure. A reflex sight with fiber optics AND electrical illumination is best IMHO. Electrical only can be very clear and bright and last a long time but eventually you are going to encounter a dead battery.

The 5.7 round gets mixed reviews. If you expect it to perform like a rifle round you'll likely be disappointed. If you are looking for something more like a pistol caliber carbine performance, you'll likely be fine.

Latest pricing and availability is similar to 223. But thats only because 223 is scarce these days so harder to get and more expensive than usual. $20/50 rounds is similar to most pistol ammo these days so if you think of it that way and shoot it that way there is nothing wrong with 5.7 unless the new government decides to ban its import.

Maintenance interval can be as much as 2000 rounds. The design is very robust and with the one I have I've never had any type of malfunction. I have heard occasional reports of jamming issue seemingly related to dirty mags but I have not encountered this.

I don't think this is a novelty item but its expensive, proprietary, and of limited use. If your use corresponds to its strengths it can be worth it. I think if it as a pistol caliber carbine with a fantastic design and form factor and some benefits in penetration and trajectory over more conventional pistol calibers.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I must say my biggest concern is the ammo, if it was a .223/5.56 firearm i would have been one of the 1st to purchase one. I dont want to make an investment which could be obsolete after the next election.

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
I am not too worried about the ammo supply - however, as I have stated many time s- I know what you are saying. I stockpiled 2100 rounds of the stuff.

10-15 years from now, I don't want a gun that I cannot get ammo for.

I pull from my stock as I shoot the gun, and then just replace it immediately (so I can keep ammo from sitting there too long on the shelf)

·
Registered
161 Posts
As of 3 days ago Tanners is out and I was told they have no idea when they will have more and that when they do the price will be back up to around $1500, thats what I was told. I love my PS90 but personaly I prefer my FS2000 but I carried a FAMAS for many years and had a bushmaster M17 and am a huge advocate of .223 Bullpups! The FS is the only one I prefer over the FAMAS and I think I have fired most every common Bullpup!

·
Registered
13 Posts
PS90 Ammo - I need the experts help!!!

iostorm,
You have exactly the same concerns I do about the PS90. I have been on the fence for days about purchasing the PS90 because of the ammo. I love the look and size of the gun. I am comfortable with the ballistic performance but I can find only one other gun out there (besides the 5-7) that fires this round. It's like buying a car that runs on special, one-of-a-kind fuel. Will it be around next year? Will the ammo cost shoot up because there is very little competition on the market?

I want so badly to hear "Don't worry, this ammo is common now and probably won't be banned" but I am not hearing that.
I was ready to "pull the trigger" and get one of these today (since I looked at it last night first hand) but I can't get over the ammo issue. I hate to say I am considering the "other" gun just because of my concerns about the ammo.

I have been reading non-stop about the PS90 and I want one!!! - BUT - is it too risky. If the ammo becomes unavailable, the gun will be worthless. Are other manufacturers using this roundof which I am unaware?

With the wealth of knowledge on this board (which I greatly respect) others must have the same concerns. I am very anxious to hear your feedback.

·
Vendor
5,658 Posts
Tanners just received a shipment of 106 Black PS90s with the White Ring Sight and they are selling them for $1250.00. They are also giving a 60 day layaway plan to pay. :shock:
I have bought both of mine from them and they are the BEST!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts