FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
They should have one standard for the job. Any one can try out and any one can make it if they can pass the one standard. No exceptions or discrimination.
That was the stated position when the service academies were initially opened up for females. Once they realized that practically none of the female applicants could meet the standards, the overall standards were dropped and gender specific standards were introduced.

History repeats itself...

Right now, Pararescue is one of the last three male only career field in the Air Force. Now that every service has been directed to open the doors of combat career fields, we have been ordered to "reevaluate" our standards to determine if they need to be so high. I don't have insider info for anyone else, but I'm pretty sure everyone else (Army and Marine Infantry and other SOF assets) is being directed to do the same.

·
Registered
862 Posts
This type of thing happens everywhere. When I got my B.S. and then M.S. in Computer Science it was very difficult. The B.S. was a four year degree that took most people five years to pass it. The CS program was part of the College of Physical and Mathematical Sciences. Two more math classes would have been a B.S. in Mathematics or two more physics classes would have been a B.S. in Physics. One half of the senior class every year flunked the "compiler" class every semester and the other half flunked "operating systems", with about one third flunking "databases". These were all 400 level classes. You had to create a programming language, write a parser and generate machine code and actually run your program. Also, you had to make an operating system from scratch, that had a file system and could output to a screen and printer. The database you had to write from scratch a database that could do various joins, etc.

About 12 years ago the demand for programmers was outpaced by what the Universities could produce. Programs were reportedly dummied down. Some CS degrees, instead of being part of the Physics and Math colleges, now come from the business college of the university. Classes that flunked too many students were redesigned to get the students through. Net result is that many graduates with CS degrees basically barely have the equivalent of an Associates degree instead of a Bachelors degree.

About 6 years ago I had a "young buck" for a team lead on some software. He set direction, he gave out the bonuses, raises, and promotions. He wouldn't know good code if it kissed him on the mouth. I remember he came in one day and announced that he had discovered in the .NET framework this new thing called a Dictionary. It was really fast and he was replacing all kinds of linked lists with this and that we should check it out. I bit my tongue. I had to write a "dictionary" or what is known as a hash table my sophomore year of school in 200 level classes. I switched teams.

But hey, at least the universities are meeting demand, that's what counts, right?

By the way, what do you call a student that gets all A's in med school? Answer: Doctor.
What do you call a student that gets all C's in med school? Answer: Doctor

Reactions: FLyon and Ironminer

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
High standards save lives. Good luck with new recruits.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
i personally have no problems with full co-ed integration of all military jobs
so long as they can pass the same test as everyone else. (and not a test that has been dumbed down)

Reactions: DEERE G

·
Registered
454 Posts
Glad I'm out. I don't want to have to depend on some woman who was rated a perfect pft for 8 pullups on a 110-140 lb frame having to drag my 6'5 ass out of a burning humvee or a firefight. It was hard enough for some of the other grown men to have to lift me in training, god forbid I was wearing a full rig and had put on some more muscle-mass. I know for a fact most of the grunts I knew when I was in would be capable of it without batting an eye.

From the marines I've talked to, the Corps is going to ****. No more cussing or yelling at recruits, half of the I.T. that we got is now considered hazing. They're being trained to be sensitive to homosexuals and women. I went to boot 12 years ago, and everything that came out of our DIs' mouths was inflammatory to homosexuals in general, or emasculation by calling us feminine. I always thought that 99% of the FM's were playing marine. Seems they still are. Most of em are liberals too.

Reactions: Hellfire

·
Registered
787 Posts
Men and women are different??? I hadn't realized that until now.

·
Registered
431 Posts
no one fights for equal rights, just special rights. long story short, some cant make the standard after fighting for it and so the next step is lowering the standard so they can make it. sorta sounds like welfare. "dont have what it takes?, that's ok we will give it to you anyway"

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Blah....the ultimate downfall for our armed forces. I too would not have a problem with a female next to me in combat as long as she could do everything I had to do to get there. As for how do you deal with taking a wizz with a female around? Just like normal..whip it out and let it go. If they are there in combat they are going to have to do it under combat conditions...

Reactions: Ironminer

·
Registered
5,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I just wonder how much more whining of it's not fair it will take to get them to lower the standards so a woman gets to wear the Trident? It would be quite the feather in the cap for some congresswoman to trot out her show pony of the first female SEAL and claim she made it happen.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Females did okay for the Soviets in WWII. IDF has female soldiers.

The politically correct belief that gender equality in the U.S. military equates to breaking down the last gender barriers is pure bravo sierra.

·
Registered
431 Posts
after some though on this i dont think some things were thought through. what happens when a combat woman becomes a POW in a nation that still views women as things? or when some a$$hole on the hill sets the stage for it to push a political movement? think our elected "servants" would never put a female unit on the ground in some little police/peace action environment that is overtly hostile to US troops and view women as to be subjugated to men? If something happened to them how hard would it be to whip the public masses into anything?

Reactions: togjr9

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
after some though on this i dont think some things were thought through. what happens when a combat woman becomes a POW in a nation that still views women of things? or when some a$$hole on the hill sets the stage for it to push a political movement? think our elected "servants" would never put a female unit on the ground in some little police/peace action environment that is overtly hostile to US troops and view women as to be subjugated to men? If something happened to them how hard would it be to whip the public masses into anything?
This has been answered with Jessica Lynch, who was raped and sodomized while a POW in Iraq.

·
Registered
641 Posts
I wonder how the USMC would have handled storming Iwo Jima Island with a 7% female force like they have today?

I'm thinking they would had 7% more personnel on the beachhead and not on Mt Suribachi...

·
Registered
184 Posts
Reathe point to be made is not with the public but other members of the military. I think we can all agree real men are in the military and especially special forces. A real man is not simply going to accept a female was captured and continue the misssion. They will jeopardize themselves and the mission to rescue any and all females captured. It is in a man's nature to protect women, period. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Glad I'm out. I thought accountability formations after mortar attacks were dumb... Some of the things I've heard since leaving are just stupid.

·
Registered
454 Posts
dokrichy, I have to say bro, accountability formations after an attack make a lot of sense to me. If someone doesn't show up, then you know they could very well be injured and in need of immediate medical attention. If I'd been walking back from the porta-johns and a piece of shrapnel clipped me in the side of the face and I was laying on the ground unconscious bleeding out, I'd want people to come looking for me. Not to mention having all of your troops in one spot in case you need to have bodies on hand for whatever reason, fighting fire, helping move things, any number of potentialities.

Back on the topic of women in combat.... I can easily see a fair share of those that would have the view togjr9 has. Men who firmly believe that they need to stick their neck out to protect women. There are other issues that could spring up, even if the woman has every physical capacity that the men have. What if she becomes romantic with one or more of her peers? This could cause jealousy issues, and issues where whoever they are involved with being a loose-cannon when it comes to said female's safety or even emotional feelings, say if she pisses off a platoon member who calls her names, now her boyfriend has to back her up, etc. It could also lead to the destruction of the camaraderie and brotherhood among soldiers because they would have to tone down their guy-talk for the woman present, this could build resentment on BOTH sides of the gender line.

I've heard about female marines and sailors going on float and literally whoring themselves out. I personally remember an FM in my reserve unit who LIVED with her husband (who was also a marine) an hour away from our base, yet she was getting down with several marines in our unit. Not saying it's a widespread issue, but it does happen. I would be surprised if a large number of these "sexual assaults" reported from the DOD are not honest.

Reactions: dokrichy
1 - 20 of 21 Posts