FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Hi Power that a friend asked me to sell for him. It marked by Browning on the left side of the slide and says "Made in Belgium, Assembled in Portugal" on the right side of the slide. It dates to 1988 based on the serial number with what I found on the Browning website, which would make it Mark III as best I can tell. I don't know much about these firearms but have learned a good bit over the past couple days researching it online. The one thing that perplexes me is that everything I read says the gun should have an ambidextrous thumb safety, but this one is equipped with a single (left) sided safety.

My buddy is the original owner and said that the right sided safety was never removed and this is how he bought it. Is this normal for a Browning HP from this year or is it as unusual as I am making it out to be?

As a second note, other than minimal to moderate wear to the rails the gun is in great condition. I've attached a few pics for reference. I would be curious what you guys think this gun is worth. Any and all feedback on this post is appreciated.
Firearm Gun Trigger Gun accessory Gun barrel
Firearm Gun Trigger Gun accessory Gun barrel
Font Number Symbol
Revolver Airsoft

:th_thanx:

·
Registered
129 Posts
Not a MkIII...it's an '88 Type 73/Transitional Sport Model. It's got the Firing Pin Safety...first introduced in the late-mid-'80s MkIIS Models, and carried over to the later MkIIIS based pistols. The plastic grips were introduced in '81 with the first MkII Models and also carried over to the later MIII based pistols. Such pistols in '88 could have come with either the original nubbin' Thumb Safety or the later MkII/MkIII ambi-Thumb Safety. The Thumb Safety pictured on the pistol is NOT an FN factory Thumb Safety, but is...in fact, an aftermarket C&S Thumb Safety.

Hope that helps :mrgreen:.....

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great information, thanks sub-moa. Any idea on the value?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.