FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About a month back, there was considerable discussion about how the stock market would crash if Biden were elected President. Several members suggested that they had, or that you should, sell your investments in the stock market to avoid the potential losses.

However, Biden was elected and the market (as measured by the S&P500) had its best November ever. If you had followed this advice and tried to "time the market" or to "game the system", you would have missed out on significant returns during the month of November. Those of us who simply stayed the course and didn't pay attention to all the loud voices to BUY or SELL did better in November 2020. We do better, consistently, every month, when you look at a lot of data.

I'm not a financial advisor. Your mileage may vary. Caveat Emptor! But, in the long-term, there is a lot of research out there to show that simply investing your money in a low-fee, broad-based, market index fund, and then forgetting about it is about the best thing you can do for yourself, financially.

·
Registered
5,629 Posts
The market does not like uncertainty. Having more states certify Creepy Uncle Joe the winner helps remove that uncertainty. Wait until he is in office a year or two before you start to crow. If he along with a Dem. majority increase corporate taxes and taxes in general, and starts kissing China ass again you might be singing a different tune. I do agree with your last paragraph however.

·
Administrator
11,696 Posts
Half the market going up while the half that I had long term investment in going down does not mean that the market increase is good for me. If you had any knowledge of my stock options and what the market has done you would quietly slink away from this conversation. I was not heavily invested in the med stocks that are artificially increasing the market, which will go away in very short term. What I was invested in has still not recovered.

When the efficacy results were corrected by Pfizer, stocks lost. I'll wait to re-invest after I know the Senate results and where Biden is going to jump off the cliff.

·
Premium Member
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Half the market going up while the half that I had long term investment in going down does not mean that the market increase is good for me. If you had any knowledge of my stock options and what the market has done you would quietly slink away from this conversation. I was not heavily invested in the med stocks that are artificially increasing the market, which will go away in very short term. What I was invested in has still not recovered.

When the efficacy results were corrected by Pfizer, stocks lost. I'll wait to re-invest after I know the Senate results and where Biden is going to jump off the cliff.
Well HK SD9 Tactical, the beauty of what I am proposing is it's simplicity: you don't have to know anything about the market. You needn't invest your money with the same charlatans who've duped you, politically. Just invest in low fee broad-based mutual funds, and you will do as well as anybody else, over the long term. It's really that simple. Leave your politics behind. Your bottom line will thank you for it!

·
Premium Member
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The market does not like uncertainty. Having more states certify Creepy Uncle Joe the winner helps remove that uncertainty. Wait until he is in office a year or two before you start to crow. If he along with a Dem. majority increase corporate taxes and taxes in general, and starts kissing China ass again you might be singing a different tune. I do agree with your last paragraph however.
So what is your problem then? Invest your money for the long-term in low-fee, broad-based mutual funds. Ignore the ups and downs of the market. Investing is about making money, not about politics, so ignore all politics, as well. Again, what is your problem?

·
Premium Member
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

More specifically, if you wait until "after I know the Senate results and where Biden is going to jump off the cliff", you will miss out on most if not all of the market gain up to that point. The collective "market" has better information than you do. Humble thyself and realize that you aren't going to beat the overall stock market in any long-term, statistically-valid sense. The simple fact of the matter is that neither you, nor I, nor anybody else, can accurately predict where stock market values will be in three months' time. There are all kinds of studies that have been done that show that your personal investment strategy of trying to apply current events to your investment balance will ultimately lead you to significantly lower returns than just staying the course. Of course, it's your money, so do with it what you will, but...the smart money is on non-glamorous low-cost index funds...

·
Administrator
11,696 Posts
Well HK SD9 Tactical, the beauty of what I am proposing is it's simplicity: you don't have to know anything about the market.
What I know and don't know about the market is not up for discussion by you or anyone else. My investments are mine alone and I monitor them and do what is necessary to maintain the equity in them.

You needn't invest your money with the same charlatans who've duped you, politically.
This is quite a moronic statement to make. Keep making your unfounded and inane assumptions.

Just invest in low fee broad-based mutual funds, and you will do as well as anybody else, over the long term. It's really that simple. Leave your politics behind. Your bottom line will thank you for it!
You want me to take advice from you on investments? Keep dreaming.

My politics has nothing to do with my investments and your assumption that it does just shows how limited your thinking is on this subject.

·
Administrator
11,696 Posts
More specifically, if you wait until "after I know the Senate results and where Biden is going to jump off the cliff", you will miss out on most if not all of the market gain up to that point. The collective "market" has better information than you do. Humble thyself and realize that you aren't going to beat the overall stock market in any long-term, statistically-valid sense. The simple fact of the matter is that neither you, nor I, nor anybody else, can accurately predict where stock market values will be in three months' time. There are all kinds of studies that have been done that show that your personal investment strategy of trying to apply current events to your investment balance will ultimately lead you to significantly lower returns than just staying the course. Of course, it's your money, so do with it what you will, but...the smart money is on non-glamorous low-cost index funds...
Or losses. You are making an awful lot of assumptions and speaking on those assumptions which are horribly false and inaccurate.

You know nothing about my stock options.
You know nothing about which markets my stocks are vested in.
You know nothing about my strategies of how to handle my own monies.
You are assuming that I am invested in the US Market only.

And yet here you are trying to tell me how to invest. Thank you so much for your advice on investing. I think I will ignore it though.

·
Registered
5,629 Posts
So what is your problem then? Invest your money for the long-term in low-fee, broad-based mutual funds. Ignore the ups and downs of the market. Investing is about making money, not about politics, so ignore all politics, as well. Again, what is your problem?
No problem for me. Your post read like you were crowing about a market turn around on the announcement Creepy Uncle Joe won the election. I know all about the roller coaster ride that is investing, I've been doing it for a few decades now. All my investments are in a balanced mix of stock and bond funds. What I'm saying is any Fed policies that come out during his administration could have a negative impact on the market. By the by, do you go by the screen name Juanni on another forum I belong to? You both have somewhat arrogant and condescending tone in your respective posts. Oh and I'm up 13% on a rather conservative 401K

·
Premium Member
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
What I know and don't know about the market is not up for discussion by you or anyone else. My investments are mine alone and I monitor them and do what is necessary to maintain the equity in them.

This is quite a moronic statement to make. Keep making your unfounded and inane assumptions.

You want me to take advice from you on investments? Keep dreaming.

My politics has nothing to do with my investments and your assumption that it does just shows how limited your thinking is on this subject.
I don't care one whit whether you take investment advice from me or not. As you say, it is your money. However, I am not wrong on the fundamentals. Long-term investing in low-fee, broad-based mutual funds is simply the best investment strategy for me, you, and everyone else.

·
Premium Member
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
No problem for me. Your post read like you were crowing about a market turn around on the announcement Creepy Uncle Joe won the election. I know all about the roller coaster ride that is investing, I've been doing it for a few decades now. All my investments are in a balanced mix of stock and bond funds. What I'm saying is any Fed policies that come out during his administration could have a negative impact on the market. By the by, do you go by the screen name Juanni on another forum I belong to? You both have somewhat arrogant and condescending tone in your respective posts. Oh and I'm up 13% on a rather conservative 401K
Big Muddy, I do not go by "Juanni" anywhere. Whoever "Juanni" is, that person is not me.

I apologize if I seem arrogant or condescending. That is certainly not my intent. However, if I'm being honest, I feel like I am called "arrogant" and "condescending" by yourself and other members on this forum simply because I disagree with them, politically, and dare to back up my opinions with facts! That I am liberal in my political beliefs and unashamed of it, seems to draw out the worst in people...

Just prior to election day, multiple people on this forum advised that you should sell all your holdings in the stock market, because if Joe Biden were elected as President, the market would crash. Joe Biden was elected as President. However, the market did not crash, but instead posted record gains over the course of the month of November. If you had acted upon the dubious financial advice given here to SELL, SELL, SELL, just before election day, you almost certainly would have missed out on the market gains of the most positive November, ever.

All I mean to say is that, when it comes to investing, 99.5% of us are best served by simply investing in low-fee, broad-based index funds and then "forgetting" about them. Don't buy/sell based on "information" you feel you have.

Glad to hear your 401K is doing well.

·
Administrator
11,696 Posts
I don't care one whit whether you take investment advice from me or not. As you say, it is your money. However, I am not wrong on the fundamentals. Long-term investing in low-fee, broad-based mutual funds is simply the best investment strategy for me, you, and everyone else.
Mutual funds....ha.....better to put your money under the mattress.

Not much concerned with long term mutual funds or your fundamentals. There are too many ways to trade and I don't care to spend the time going over them.

According to you, the millions of traders that work the markets using their various trading methods and make a hefty living doing it who are not involved on long term strategies, have no knowledge of what they are doing. You go ahead and tell them that.

So I'll leave it at I do my thing which makes me money. And no, it has nothing to do with your long term mutual fund strategy that you consider the best method of making money.

·
Premium Member
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Mutual funds....ha.....better to put your money under the mattress.
Well, that is just silly. Putting cash under your mattress, in a savings account, savings bond, etc. guarantees you a low rate of return. Again, I encourage you to view the research

According to you, the millions of traders that work the markets using their various trading methods and make a hefty living doing it who are not involved on long term strategies, have no knowledge of what they are doing. You go ahead and tell them that.
1) Most of those traders make a hefty living by charging their clients hefty fees for their services.
2) Those traders have a vested interest in propagating the myth that they provide "value" in excess of the fees that they charge.
3) There is all sorts of market research suggesting that for the vast majority of investors, personally investing in individual stocks, is a fool's game. Best of luck with that! Actively managed funds are either on par with unmanaged funds or underperform, once you take investment fees into account. Anyone telling you they can give you above market returns is lying. If their claim was true, they wouldn't need to drum up financial support...
4) Yup. Institutional trading firms like Goldman Sachs, etc. have advantages you or I could never hope to have. When the speed of light becomes a fundamental limitation on market trading for the major firms, you know individual investors are just chum in the water for the big sharks...

So I'll leave it at I do my thing which makes me money. And no, it has nothing to do with your long term mutual fund strategy that you consider the best method of making money.
Hey, it's your money, do with it what you want. That said, whatever your "secret strategy" is, it is unlikely to outperform the overall market in the long run. Maybe you get lucky and outperform the market. Maybe you don't and lose your shirt. But at the end of the day, if you knew the secrets of the market, you would be a gazillionaire. You don't seem to have reached that achievement, yet.

·
Administrator
11,696 Posts
Well, that is just silly. Putting cash under your mattress, in a savings account, savings bond, etc. guarantees you a low rate of return. Again, I encourage you to view the research

1) Most of those traders make a hefty living by charging their clients hefty fees for their services.
2) Those traders have a vested interest in propagating the myth that they provide "value" in excess of the fees that they charge.
3) There is all sorts of market research suggesting that for the vast majority of investors, personally investing in individual stocks, is a fool's game. Best of luck with that! Actively managed funds are either on par with unmanaged funds or underperform, once you take investment fees into account. Anyone telling you they can give you above market returns is lying. If their claim was true, they wouldn't need to drum up financial support...
4) Yup. Institutional trading firms like Goldman Sachs, etc. have advantages you or I could never hope to have. When the speed of light becomes a fundamental limitation on market trading for the major firms, you know individual investors are just chum in the water for the big sharks...

Hey, it's your money, do with it what you want. That said, whatever your "secret strategy" is, it is unlikely to outperform the overall market in the long run. Maybe you get lucky and outperform the market. Maybe you don't and lose your shirt. But at the end of the day, if you knew the secrets of the market, you would be a gazillionaire. You don't seem to have reached that achievement, yet.
I'm retired, make more money a month then I spend, have not even tapped into my retirement investments or retirement account. When I choose to travel, I go for months at a time, not a week or a weekend, although I also do that as well.

Again, you make assumptions that are unfounded and you continually show the entire membership how little you know.

Also wanted to add that I am rich beyond belief and that it has nothing to do with the material collection of wealth. Why? Because wealth is nothing compared to the richness of life that I have.

Another one I am done with.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts