Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ruger 10/22

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about buying a 22 rifle. The two I am debating on are the Marlin model 60 and the Ruger 10/22.

I have heard good things about both. The thng I am looking for here is the bad things about the rifles that the websites dont tell you.

I would appreciate any input you may have. Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
I think that Ruger will probably win this poll because they seem to be more popular, but I happen to like the Marlin better. I have the camo version and the stainless version. They are both accurate and reliable. Gla I bought 'em.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
From what I understand the rifling in the marlin is different than other guns. Apparently they use 16 "microgrooves" rather than 2 or 4 grooves that would be deeper and deform the bullet more. Thus leading to a less deformed bullet leaving the muzzle, therefore more accurate.

If i decide to go with the marlin, I am going to get the model 60SB... stainless steel bbl, folding rear sight with high viz front post.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
My vote is for the Ruger 10/22 of the two choices. Parts are cheap and Plentiful

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
There sure is alot of fun aftermarket parts for the 10/22.

I can attest to the longevity that the model 60 will bring. My dad bought me mine about 30 years ago and it was used then. I still have it and it still goes bang with every trigger pull.

·
Registered
373 Posts
+1 for the same in regard to the 10/22, my father has one that he purchased around 30 years ago and it still goes bang every time.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My dad has a marlin and I cannot recall their ever being a problem with his.
:shock: A guy I work with said something to me about the marlins being notoris for jamming up.
Any one else heard anything about this? :?:

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
I just bought a Ruger 10/22T (target model). Comes with the bull barrel and lighter target trigger. Shoots awesome is cheap to feed.

Widespread replacement parts is one great argument for the ruger.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
B52U said:
I just bought a Ruger 10/22T (target model). Comes with the bull barrel and lighter target trigger. Shoots awesome is cheap to feed.

Widespread replacement parts is one great argument for the ruger.
Nice, I always wanted to build a 10/22 with Volquartsen parts. The Ruger target model accomplishes most of it already

·
Registered
212 Posts
If you just want a gun to shoot, I'd go Marlin. I'd also look for one of the tube mag loaders - I have one, its a series of tubes with a moving spout at one end. Lets me dump 15 rounds right into the tube mag on the marlin.

If you want to customize or trick out or hang all sorts of tacticool stuff on it, then get the Ruger.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
I've got a marlin 60 and the Ruger 10/22T. The Marlin shoots outstanding as a stock rifle, but I hate that tube magazine. Having a loader would make it nicer, but releasable magazines are a big plus IMO.

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
I have had both (lost the 60 in a house fire) and loved them I chose the Ruger just on fact of parts availabilty but give accuracy to the Marlin but the Marlin is a little more complex to tear down and clean.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well I decided to go with the ruger. When I looked down the sights of the two rifles at the store, the ruger just seemed to be more comfortable. When i looked down the sights of the marlin it felt like the stock was digging into my cheekbone.

Like I said I got the ruger. I am going next weekend to the range to see how it shoots and sight it in. The following weekend I am going to murder some squirrels with it. :-x

thanks for all the input!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts