FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would anyone buy a Marlin lever action rifle if it were chambered in FN's 5.7x28????? Maybe have an 18"-22" barrel, or 16"-18"???? Marlin already has the tooling to make lever actions, but would they need permission to make one that makes a specific cartridge for a particular manufacturer? This is just something I thought of when working outside in the yard.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Interesting thought!!

·
Registered
873 Posts
It would need a new bullet type I would think.

I see wayyyyy to many liability issues for Marlin to do it, unfortunately.

All it would take is some numbskull to load the tube with FMJs.

:evil:

·
Registered
212 Posts
Pointy bullet problem can be worked around (spiral tube mag) but there may be other issues with the rimless case.

So lets modify this...

How about a Browning BLR in the caliber? They already work with pointy bullets (box mag) and rimless cases (308, 7mm, etc are available chamberings already)

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
BlitzPig, Bingo, they would have to make a 5.7x28 round specifically for that lever action rifle, the last thng you'd want is a pointy bullet head seated in the tubular mag pressing against the primmer of the next round.

Sorry I wound not want one.

I have a 30-30 winchester lever, great brush gun. Taken lots of deer with it in overgrown pine tree areas. I'm just not sure I can find a good enough reason for such a rifle. My .02 cents

·
Premium Member
4,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm sure Hornady can make a flex tip head V-max 40g bullet, like they have done for the .30-30, .308, 32Win Special, 35 Remington, 22 WMR and now both 357/44 mag. All of those are pointy and have had no problems in lever actions.

·
Premium Member
4,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Where have you been devildoc????? Check out www.hornady.com new products and look for the 357/44 mag, 32 WIN SPCL and then go to ammo selector and find .30-30, .308 Marlin Express under rifles. Hornady even has a video for the 357/44 mag LeveRevolution ammunition.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Yea, well they make fartless beans and Burpless cucumbers too.

I'm sorry but what happens to this supposed soft plastic points when the tempature drop's below freezing? At what temp do they get frozen hard as a rock?

No thanks I'll pass.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I suppose they could do the flex-tip thing, but it just doesn't make any sense to make a lever action rifle for the 5.7 round. The whole deal behind the 5.7 round is the PDW concept. Once you remove the Personal Defense Weapon(s) from the PDW concept, you are left with the round without its intended platform(s).

What niche would it serve that is not being served by the available calibers that can be used in lever action rifles? I am not writing to bash the 5.7 caliber, but a lever action rifle chambered in 5.7 would not be a flexible platform and its appeal would be very narrow.

·
Premium Member
4,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Don't forget that the 5.7x28 is available in the FNP 5.7 Pistol. What's going to happen if a democrat gets elected and bans "assault" weapons and certain types of ammo, like they tried to do with the 5.7 round. This time the ban is permanent like they tried to do when it sunset in 2004. If they have their way they might even confiscate 5.7's, both ammo and firearms from civilians. Its a stretch, but it has happend in England and Austrailia already. Even if they don't ban the 5.7 ammo, no more PS90's, so why not make a lever action or even bolt action like I heard FN might be doing. All this is just theory/fantasy, but you're saying you wouldn't buy a lever action 5.7? Don't tell me you've never fired a lever action before. If you haven't you're missing out on a great experience.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Hey I'd buy a bolt action 5.7X28mm today if they had one. FN was suppose to have them out in March of 08. Now it's pushed back to who knows when. :cry:

The Dem's won't go after gun's for a while. They got there butt's stomped last time they tried that crap, not to mention once the SCOTUS rules June 10th I think the gun controll croud will be put to bed. THey won't be asleep for ever, but they will be keeping their cake hole shut for a good long time, cuz the domino's are going to start falling. 8)

·
Registered
873 Posts
I own a CZ 527 "Mini Mauser" Carbine in .223. I could see this rifle in 5.7x28, in fact I'd buy one if they chambered it for the FN round.

I've embarassed guys with far more expensive kit using that little CZ and cheap 55 grain ball ammo.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Furyataurus said:
All this is just theory/fantasy, but you're saying you wouldn't buy a lever action 5.7? Don't tell me you've never fired a lever action before. If you haven't you're missing out on a great experience.
I have fired many lever action rifles. I like them for what they are, but I would not buy a lever action rifle chambered in 5.7. If I was going to get a lever action rifle, I'd get one in .45-70, send it to Wild West Guns and have them turn it into "The Alaskan Copilot."

http://www.wildwestguns.com/CoPilot_And_Guide_Rifles/copilot_and_guide_rifles.html

·
Registered
873 Posts
Wow.

I want one.

Can I say "wow" again?

:?

·
Premium Member
4,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That is a nice rifle, esp. the kevlar stock. :D True, 45-70 is a hard hitting round, but it is expensive, $30 for 20 rounds, I think. Where I can get 50 rounds of 5.7x28 for about $22-$23 at Bass Pro Shops. Plus, I haven't heard of many people varmint hunting with the 45-70.lol. All you'd see if a puff of red mist.lol

·
Registered
873 Posts
Furyataurus said:
All you'd see if a puff of red mist.lol
I thought that was the point?

:lol:

Seriously, I'd like to see some other choices for the caliber, in particular a bolt gun. I just prefer my lever guns in calibers that begin with the number "4".

My personal lever is a Marlin 1894 P in .44 Mag. (Little brother to the .45-70 Guide Gun).

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
any type of bolt or lever action 5.7 rifle would be great for small game hunting as well as for foxes and coyotes. I hope one comes out soon I had to buy a bolt action .223 for coyotes and foxes.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts