FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really want to find a pistol and carbine that use the same ammo. They would be my grab and go guns if I needed to leave the house in a hurry.

I have all my "Go Bags" (backpacks) built, but I haven't decided on what arms I would take along. Weight, physical size, caliber, quality, are my main concerns.

Now that I have a PS90, I can go with a 5-7... and I am considering this... but having matching magazines would be great too. And ammo may be harder to find than more common stuff.

I know there are 9mm pairs out there... and I think there is a 45ACP pair out there too. I guess I would just some conversation on the subject.

I've considered a lever action and a revolver pair, but would prefer semi auto.

I guess a Thompson and a 1911A would work, but effective hunting range is limited.

Have you wanted a Pistol/Carbine pair?
Is having interchagable mags important to you?
Is 9mm really big enough for this role or would you want a 45?
Is there a 357SIG or 357 magnum pair out there?
Do you have faith in the PS90 to kill your food with if needed?
How does the 357sig compare to the 5.7x28 ballistically?

Any thoughts? Thanx.

TA

·
Registered
54 Posts
This has been debated throughout history. Bass Reeves a lawman of the old west was well known for carrying a carbine that matched his pistol cal. What it boils down to is personal preferance. Personally, I like my arms to be diverse. My reasons are,
1) My side arms and long arms will both get the job done but in certain situations one will be better than the other.
In the L.A. shootout where 2 bank robbers were armed to the teeth and wearing body armor The L.A.P.D. S.W.A.T. was only armed with sidearms and Mp5s (9mm) neither of which were able to be effective. Had they been equiped with AR-15s in the first place the shootout would have been over much quicker.

2) in an emergency ammunition may be available in one or the other probably not for everything. Weather it's an extreme situation or not tactically it is good to have common cal.

3) Finally, as great as the PS90 is, it's not very versitile. Nor is it designed to be. This is a close quarters to mid-range (at best) PDW which packs more firepower than an MP5 or MP5K while staying compact. It's an excellent walk around gun (for field shooting, camping, hiking, hunting) and finally a good home defense weapon. It is however, pretty mission specific. It's benefit is high capacity, fast reactive shooting, and very accurate up to 300 yards. It's improtant to know that a mission specific weapon also has it's limitations for example the PS90 has lower knock down power, limited range, and fairly essentric ammunition. A pistol that would make a great match for the PS 90 would be something like a 1911 in .45 now you have a common cal. with tons of knock down power but where the .45 falls short (capacity) is where the PS90 picks up.

All of the above is obviously an opinion and carrying the same cal in both carbine and handgun is a good idea and has worked well over the years both ways have worked and both have failed in unique situations. The key to making this work is to evaluate you're particular situation and what evaluate probable, possible threats. Then use your best judgement to properly equip. Example : lets say you lived in a very urban area in a townhouse well a M1A SOCOM (though an outstanding rifle) will work against you in that enviroment. In an emergency you will have to spend valuble seconds deciding if the .308 will penitrate your target or if you miss. Where that would be less of a concern with a Beretta Carbine.

·
Banned
55 Posts
Since some of my friends are set-up with a handgun/rifle combo, I've thought about doing this as well.

A friend of mine uses this set-up.
Ruger Super Blackhawk (.44 Mag)
Winchester Model 94 Trapper (.44 Mag)

Another friend of mine has this set-up.
Kimber Custom (.45 ACP)
Marlin Camp Carbine (.45 ACP)
Magazines are interchangable between the two firearms.

I was primarily looking at this set-up.
S&W Model 686-Plus (.357 Mag)
Marlin Model 1894C (.357 Mag)

Since, you mentioned you prefered semi-autos.
Have you looked into the following...
Beretta CX-4 Storm (9x19mm, .40 S&W, .45 ACP) uses Beretta pistol mags
Kel-Tec Sub-2000 (9x19mm, .40 S&W) uses S&W or Glock pistol mags depends on which caliber/model you order
Marlin Camp Carbine (9x19mm, .45 ACP) uses S&W or M1911 pistol mags depends on the caliber. Also note, this rifle is no longer in production.

Most pistol rounds are ineffective for medium or larger game animals.
The 5.7x28mm would be effective on varmint sized (coyote) or smaller game animals.

The carbine/pistol ammo combo traditionally favors the lever-action/revolver set-up. So, unless you intended to only hunt small game, you may want to go this route.

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Very good points...

I was just trying to pack one cartridge and one set of mags for space and weight efficiency.

Having two common cartridges may increase carry weight, but would increase the chance of finding ammo if needed later.

Thanx.

TA

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quiet said:
Another friend of mine has this set-up.
Kimber Custom (.45 ACP)
Marlin Camp Carbine (.45 ACP)
Magazines are interchangable between the two firearms.

I was primarily looking at this set-up.
S&W Model 686-Plus (.357 Mag)
Marlin Model 1894C (.357 Mag)
I would like to find a camp 45, then I could carry a 1911. But like you said... out of production. I'll start looking for a used one.

My other option was the Cimmaron 1874 Lever in 357mag and a 1874 PeaceMaker Revolver in the same.

Didn't know about the Kel-Tec Glock combo... hmmm...

Thanx
TA

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
I think with the Keltec folding up - if that's what ya want - I'd get the Glock/Keltec combo. U can fold the carbine up and hide it in a bag.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Esteves said:
No, the AR uses P90 magazines. The Ranger is the model I was referring to.
I never quite got tha concept. You take a full size AR with powerfull 223 and you downgraded to 5.7x28 with no size reduction benefits...

But maybe it's just me. :)

·
Premium Member
3,591 Posts
ShipWreck said:
I think with the Keltec folding up - if that's what ya want - I'd get the Glock/Keltec combo. U can fold the carbine up and hide it in a bag.
Actually better than a bag. I keep mine in a laptop case :)

·
Banned
55 Posts
Esteves said:
Rhineland Arms was/is developing a carbine that would accept the Five-seveN's magazines (or slightly modified M1-carbine magazines with a mag-well swap.) I'd consider one for a truck-gun, if they ever hit production.
Rhineland Arms has switch to R&D only and will not be developing anything for comercial production.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Thompson M1 .45
Colt Combat commander .45

If you buy two 15 rnd mags for the 1911 and have 4 Thompson mags that would be a total of 120 rounds in six mags. I can hit pie pans at about 80 yards pretty regularly. But you know the .45 isn't exactly known for being a flat shooter! :lol: They don’t share mags.

M1 Carbine in .30 carbine and revolver. I believe this round was developed for a revolver so there is probably a .30 carbine revolver. Never looked for one but I think Ruger makes a revolver for .30 carbine.

And for really hard hitting you can always do a .45 LC set up in lever and revolver. And add one of knuckle bust’n derrangers!

·
Registered
857 Posts
I like the Beretta Cx4 / Px4 - 92 - 96
combo same ammo and even more important same magazines

If you combo does not take the same mags - don't see the benefit of the same caliber. If you have to carry 2 sets of different mags, whats the big deal if they are a different caliber.

·
Registered
170 Posts
ShipWreck said:
and

wlcohen said:
got it nail on the head. Both of those options are same ammo and same magazines. Personally, I'd go with the Glock 9mm combo. Very common ammo and Glock made 33 round mags are relatively cheap.

·
Registered
857 Posts
whitetiger7654 said:
ShipWreck said:
and

wlcohen said:
got it nail on the head. Both of those options are same ammo and same magazines. Personally, I'd go with the Glock 9mm combo. Very common ammo and Glock made 33 round mags are relatively cheap.
i except i have no idea what the quality is like on the kel-tec and i know the beretta's are top quality

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
I haven't read any neg things about the Keltec - and as for the Beretta - I have actually seen a fair amount of complaints about the CX4 - many of the internal parts are polymer, and I have seen some people complain about breakages.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Tarus 454 casul also uses(45LC) and a winchester model 94 in 45 LC

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
wlcohen said:
whitetiger7654 said:
ShipWreck said:
and

wlcohen said:
i except i have no idea what the quality is like on the kel-tec and i know the beretta's are top quality
Yes, same caliber, same mags, but as a survival pair... wouldn't the velocity and knock down power be better in a 357 SIG or a 357 Magnum pair?

I guess what I'm thinking as I type this is that what I want isn't out there yet. I think a 357SIG carbine that uses P239 mags would give you a hell of a handgun/carbine combo.

If they can do it for the 9mm, they can do it for the 357SIG round. They just need to bolster the receiver to take the higher pressure. I mean all the 357SIG is, is a 40SW casing necked down to a 9mm. Better flight than the 45acp, higher speed, longer range... there should be matching pairs all over the place. But that's my opinion...

TA

1 - 20 of 35 Posts