FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok so I'm still somewhat new to reloading and this may be a stupid questions but....

I am reloading for my SCAR 17 and my load data for Hornady Match 168gr BTHP using H4895 has a max powder charge of 43.3gr. Is it safe to try that powder charge or since the SCAR is semi-auto will it end bad. I don't want to blow up my barrel or be "that guy".

Also, is a roll crimp fine or should I taper crimping my loads? I've heard yes and no from multiple people. If I should be what is the best/easiest way to get consistency between rounds?

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Ill be nice sinceyou are new to reloading. NEVER EVER start at a max load . Always work your way up with powder charges. Most the load data is for commercial 308 brass. Using Millitary brass max loading you could easily blow your gun and/or you face up. To be safe you should start at the min load -10% for millitary brass and work your load up, testing velocity and accuracy as you move up. Max loads does not equal the best for everything. As far as taper crimiping goes I put a small amount on all my bullets more on the cannelure ones.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I haven't started with a max load, I have more sense then that, I'm actually still quite bellow it. I'm just gathering info for future loads. Thanks for the tip on -10% for mil brass though! I don't have a way to test velocity yet, therefor one of the reasons I asked.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Ill be nice sinceyou are new to reloading. NEVER EVER start at a max load . Always work your way up with powder charges. Most the load data is for commercial 308 brass. Using Millitary brass max loading you could easily blow your gun and/or you face up. To be safe you should start at the min load -10% for millitary brass and work your load up, testing velocity and accuracy as you move up. Max loads does not equal the best for everything. As far as taper crimiping goes I put a small amount on all my bullets more on the cannelure ones.
Never heard this before. Standard reloading protocol is to start 10% below the max charge. For 7.62 military brass, drop 1 or 2 grains.

Here's what Sierra advises, and it's what is often in other reloading manuals:

Is military brass interchangeable with commercial brass?Military cases such as the 308 Winchester (7.62mm NATO) and .30-06 military brass have thicker case walls, and therefore less internal case capacity. It has been generally recommended that handloaders reduce all load charges by at least one grain when using .30 caliber military cases. In the .223 Remington (5.56mm NATO), the internal capacity of most military brass we have worked with has not measured significantly different from commercial cases. When using military cases, always check the capacity against the last lot of commercial brass you were using to avoid any potential problems, and adjust the load accordingly.

·
Registered
22,109 Posts
Yup never start at max load.

Work your way up from a little higher than min load. Look for signs of pressure, while watching your groups.

·
Registered
21,553 Posts
I don't have a way to test velocity yet, therefor one of the reasons I asked.
I know guys that will go slightly over published max loads. They will go to where they start flattening primer's slightly and then back down. No need to test velocity.

For rifles, I don't put much of a crimp on them, but I will roll crimp slightly if it has a cannelure.

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Be careful doing to much of a roll crimp you can actually push the bullet in further making your col shorter and compressing the powder which changes everything. I bought a$100 crono and it's the best money I have spent in a long time. Also max load from my experience does not always group the best. It varies depending on the gun.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts