FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Too late on that, a friend of mine is married to an Ukrainian and her mother lives in eastern Ukraine. She reported right after the president fled to Russia that she observed U.S. service members in uniform in Kiev. These are most likely advisers but she observed several of them.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Ten years ago, I would have said hell yes, let's go. But Pootin waited till now, and not longer, to make his move for good reasons. Barry has been wrecking our military for five years and done a good job of it, and it will be three years more before he is gone and the next occupant can fix it, should he or she be so inclined...way too late to help Ukraine.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Exactly my thinking Laz.

Obama bluffed, Putin called it. Our Executive branch doesn't have the stones, and even if it did, our military has been diminished greatly, and going up against a military like Russia on foreign soil would be a serious mistake, especially with their ally Iran right across the Caspian.

If Bush had told Putin to stop, he would have done so immediately. Putin knew Bush was nuts enough and had enough nuts to put his money where his mouth was. I miss dubya, that rascal scared everyone.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
I'd like for someone to make the argument in support of the position that one American soldier should be put in harm's way so that Ukrainians can live in a Russia-free democracy...I couldn't care less about the citizens of other countries, maybe I'm heartless, but if you feel passionate about the Ukrainian people then you can go donate to some Ukrainian charity of your choice or go there to fight on their behalf. The United States has no vital interest there, or in Syria for that matter just as the U.S. has had no interest in every African civil war that's taken place over the last 20 years. I'd bet good money those 4 Americans killed in Benghazi would still be alive today if we never got involved in Libya's civil war that we also had no vital interest in other than being the world's unelected policeman.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Actually the United States entered into a treaty agreement with Ukraine in 1995. Ukraine dismantled their 1200+ nuclear arsenal, third largest in the world, with the guarantee that the United States would protect the sovereignty of their government and integrity of their borders. I believe the United States is legally and ethically obligated to provide Ukraine with the military hardware and training necessary to defend itself from insurgency.

·
Banned
1,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Actually the United States entered into a treaty agreement with Ukraine in 1995. Ukraine dismantled their 1200+ nuclear arsenal, third largest in the world, with the guarantee that the United States would protect the sovereignty of their government and integrity of their borders. I believe the United States is legally and ethically obligated to provide Ukraine with the military hardware and training necessary to defend itself from insurgency.
Maybe insurgency but what about secession?

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
I have absolutely no problem with the U.S. selling arms and providing training to the Ukrainian government. However, there is still no argument for a single U.S. soldier's life being in danger in any way for the survival of a Russia-free Ukrainian democracy.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I have absolutely no problem with the U.S. selling arms and providing training to the Ukrainian government. However, there is still no argument for a single U.S. soldier's life being in danger in any way for the survival of a Russia-free Ukrainian democracy.
I agree, enough American blood has bin spilled for the freedom of other nations.

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
No it is not. Ukraine is not a member of NATO, and only the United States and Great Britain signed the Budapest Memorandum.
NATO is a collective military alliance which became the primary defense mechanism to counter Warsaw Pact nations and Russia. It is THE military activist against Russian aggression in Europe.

Perhaps Bosnia and Yugoslavia might provide examples of NATO intervention in nonmember states.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Why is it that our government feels the need to referee every dispute in the world ? It has our country broke and hated world wide, and I understand about the promise to protect them over the nuke con, but IMO, I do not see any world super power these days that is going to get their a$$ kicked, shake hands and say good game. They don't have to and will not. Any of these big dogs get backed in a corner and the boys are going to start twisting keys, at that point nobody wins and I don't think it will take seven years, as the good book says it will. Hope for the best !

1 - 20 of 42 Posts