FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many folks use their PC as their DVR/media center? I've been using XP media center edition (with wireless extender) with good results (got the commercial skip working great with the DVRMS-toolkit mod). I love the fact that I don't have to subscribe to a service (no monthly fees).

There are a bunch of free open source DVR programs out there as well. Anyone use any of them?

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
I wanted to do that with my next PC - but my computer got fried last summer (despite having a $50 surge protector) - So, it was an unexpected purchase. I didn't want to spend that much.

·
Banned
328 Posts
Surge protectors are not really much of a safeguard (no matter the price). I've seen a number of computers trashed by brownouts. You want a UPS and if your really paranoid (or the equipment is really expensive like a flat panel tv) you want one that has a true sinewave output.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I built a dedicated MediaPC that uses GBPVR in WinXP x64 edition. 1080p runs smoothly on it w/ no problems. I built my own IR receiver and use WinLIRC and IREX to translate the IR codes from my remote into keystrokes that GBPVR recognizes. My tuner card can understand QAM signals, so I get local HD and regular cable. Overall I'm pleased with my work. In fact, I used to use it to watch TV, but then I got a TV that understands QAM, so it's pretty much a DVR/media storage server.

Drew

1 - 4 of 4 Posts