FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I actually had time today to hit the range, and this is what I found out about shooting my FNAR for the first time.

I was shooting with a Harris lightweight bipod with 6” extension and a Nikon buckmark 4.5 x 14 scope with a BDC reticle. There was a slight 6mph wind at my back, and temp was 38F on a clear day.

South African surplus ammo with a R1M1 headstamp easily grouped five rounds at 1.25” @ 100 yds.
Wolf ammo with the dark colored cases had a five round average of 2.50“ @ 100 yds.
Next was to be my super accurate 168 gr Hornaday A-max rounds that I reload for my other rifles. Those reloads easily shoot .40” @ 100 yds in my Remington LTR. Because I was so eager to go shoot (first time in 6 weeks) I grabbed a box of reloads that I was working up months ago. They are made with US army surplus 147gr bullets used in the M80 round. That is just plinking ammo nothing accurate about that stuff, so I did not bother shooting at the 100yd dirty bird targets, and saved them for the silhouette range.

Now that I had my scope zeroed, I moved up to the silhouette range. There is a chicken (220 yds), pig (330 yds), turkey (430yds) and a ram (550 yds) steel targets. First up was the chicken, I could set the scope at 14x magnification and fire two rounds every second and hit the chicken all day long. Not really a challenge but it was fun making music with the bullets hitting the steel plate. The pig target slowed my fire rate down to a shot per second with about 90% hit rate. The turkey and ram took some serious concentration to hit those targets. At those ranges using surplus ammo and dealing with the wind I was only good for a 40% hit rate.

The thump from the 7.62 x 51mm round does loosen up the bipod mount screw. So about every 15 rounds or every mag reload I would have to reach forward and tighten the bipod to the rifle to keep things sturdy. The nikon scope is fantastic with the BDC reticle.

The circles are large enough to allow me to see the target. The 200, 300, 400, 500yd circles allowed me to shoot from the 220yd to the 430yd to the 330yd target quickly and easily without have to make any adjustments to the scope.

The FNAR had a flawless performance, no jams, no FTF, FTE, or any refusal to go into battery incidents. All the shells were ejected about seven feet away from me at 4 to 5 o’clock position. The shells are in excellent shape when ejected with only a slight dent to the mouth of the case that should be easily reshaped with the sizing die. It will take a few reloads to find out if the mouth of the case will split after X number of reloads but I would think I should be able to get at least five reloads per shell easily with a mild powder load.

I finished the day shooting about 115 rounds. I did have a carhartt jacket, a light sweater underneath and the thickest shoulder pad that comes with the FNAR. My shoulder is not really sore so the recoil was much better than shooting my LTR bolt action. I am usually only good for 50 rounds with a bolt action rifle or about 85 rounds shooting my M1A1 before things start to get uncomfortable. Overall I am really happy with my FNAR. I am sure it is capable of shooting sub MOA with some match type ammo. Next time out I will take some and post pics of the targets.

·
Banned
2,293 Posts
Nice writeup. It made me wonder......

Have you ever seen a rifle that looked so natural with a bipod? I mean it looks incomplete when you see the rifle without one.

·
Registered
56 Posts
good report. Nice to hear some stuff about this rig.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts