1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Premium Member
5,859 Posts
Yeah this has been going on for a little bit now and is concerning, for me I care more about my dogs than I care for most people.
Really important if you care about your pets/family members to really know what your feeding them. We spend a good bit of time looking into what we buy for our weapons it only makes sense we take as much time in what we buy for them.

My .02 anyway

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
^^What Big Muddy said.

Reactions: Ironminer and blkbd

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
It's not just dog food either, and not just from China. My cats are suddenly sensitive to any food that is not super high grade premium stuff. Inflammatory bowel disease from food allergies killed one of my kitties last year (his liver went into failure because he wasn't eating), and we think Iams caused him to get the problem to begin with. Now we are only feeding them Natural Balance limited ingredient food, and I'm considering a whole/raw diet for at least one of them.

When it comes to dog treats, make your own:

·
Premium Member
9,510 Posts
I lost my first two cats, Henry and Hunter, to kidney disease. The vet said that for two indoor cats, that were not related, to suffer from the same condition...it had to be from their food. It still makes me mad today...mad at the company for cutting corners, and mad at myself for scrimping on the food. I was young, and it was a hell of a lesson to learn.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Good thread. My dog won't even eat certain dry foods anymore. What brand have you guys found that is both healthy and tasty for my little friend?

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Good thread. My dog won't even eat certain dry foods anymore. What brand have you guys found that is both healthy and tasty for my little friend?
The raw diet is really taking off, Look it up on Youtube. I use to at Petco can't remember the name pick up a vitamin supplement oil that was in a brown plastic bottle, I think it also had fish oil in it. Squirt it over the dry dog food and mix to coat all the food and my three dogs would devour all of it.

Reactions: Ironminer

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
It's not just dog food either, and not just from China. My cats are suddenly sensitive to any food that is not super high grade premium stuff. Inflammatory bowel disease from food allergies killed one of my kitties last year (his liver went into failure because he wasn't eating), and we think Iams caused him to get the problem to begin with. Now we are only feeding them Natural Balance limited ingredient food, and I'm considering a whole/raw diet for at least one of them.

When it comes to dog treats, make your own:

Thanks for that video as I use to always watch Alton Brown on the Food Channel for recipes, And this way you know what exactly what your best friend is eating and a whole lot cheaper. It was because of Alton I bought a food processor to make salsa, Once you've tried fresh salsa you will not go back to that can stuff.

Reactions: monsterdog

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
We have had our dogs on the BARF (Bones And Raw Food) diet for over 15 years now. It is quite a lot of extra work on our part, but it is so much better for the dogs than ANYTHING you can buy in a store!

We feed them about 90% chicken raw chicken necks. usually we buy in bulk. 3 or 4 40 pound casses of frozen necks. I break them down into shoebox size containers, and stack them in a deep freezer. Sometimes i can't get the necks, and i have to buy quarted or whole raw chickens, and chop them up. Much more of a pain, but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do. Small dogs will need it choped up even more. the bones will not hurt them as long as they are not cooked. that is when they splinter and can get stuck and choke them. The necks have a good bone to meat ratio, so that is why we use them. you used to be able to get bones of all kinds at the butcher in your grocery store, but because of the FDA, most will no longer do that.

There is a week or two adjustment period where your dog will have to acclimate to eating a proper diet. Smelly gas, and some runny stools. It is well worth it for you and your dog. Salmonella is a problem for us, but not really for the dogs. They will be more healthy their entire lives. Healthy shinny coats. They won't have that "wet dog" smell anymore. Their poop dries out and turns white in a day or two and crumbles into powder if you step on it. Which means their body's are using all the neutrients, so their is no more smelly slimey mess to step in.

We do supliment with some raw veggies. You will probably have to trial and error to find out which veggies your dog likes. ours like brocolli really well, and sometimes carrots. tomatoes are out. The acids in them can cause older dogs to have joint pains. We also keep Blue Baffalo dry kibble on hand for occasions when i have forgotten to take some necks out to thaw, or when we are out of town and someone is feeding the dogs for us, so they don't have to deal with the raw chicken. if you feed dry kibble look for foods without corn. oats and wheats are fine, but their body's can't really process corn. So it is just a filler that is cheap for the dog food company's. remember ingredients are listed in order of the ammount the food contains, So the top of the list should be meats, grains, and such.

If you are interested in the BARF diet for your dogs, i highly recomend "Give you're dog a bone" by Dr. Ian Billinghurst. great book, he will break it down for you. What to feed, and why it is healthier for your dog.

Our Huskies
2631738782_be8b0afd73.jpg

If you can't or won't do a raw food diet i completly understand! it is a pain in the butt, takes a lot of prep work and planning on your part. You also have to be carefull with raw chicken for your sake and bleach is your friend!

Also if you want a treat for your dog, it is very expensive, but we use Stewart 100% pure freeze dried Beef liver. They are good for training, or just a treat. Healthy too. You can find them usually at Petco, or Petsmart.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Pretty interesting write up Donnie.

I'm not a vet, and I haven't tried this yet, but am considering a raw/whole because one of my cat's really enjoy raw meat and he is very overweight on the commercial cat food.

The good thing about cats on a raw diet is that prep work is much less of an issue. There is no need to grind the meat or bones up, in fact this isn't recommended (at least in a whole raw diet.) Basically the idea is to just let them eat like they do in nature, give them meat, organs, and bones that are easy to chew. Smaller bones they will just eat and larger ones will clean their teeth as they eat.

A cat's digestive system is very short and very acidic, making it incredibly inhospitable to bacterial infections. It's important to avoid chemicals or hormones in the meat though, since cats are sensitive to a lot of things.

This seems like really good information for raw cat diets (frankenprey looks like a good compromise between easy and natural) : CatCentric.org - A Prey Model Raw (PMR) / Whole Prey Feeding Guide

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Yeah, I should have said I cut up large pieces of chickens not for their sake, but for ours. If I leave the chunks too large, they drag them through the house to someplace more comfortable for them to eat. I don't want them dragging raw chicken all over the house, so I cut it up some. If it is necks I just give them to them like they are.

Also try to get skinned necks. they don't need all the extra fat and you are paying more in weight for it.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Thanks for the heads up. My old worthless basset mix is precious to me.

Reactions: Donnie and blkbd

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Donnie,

Your spot on when it comes to BARF for our 4 legged friends. I did it when I too had huskies and they did awesome on it. Currently my wife gets a dry kibble from our vet for her/our Chihuahuas. (I guess I "adopted" them when I married her as I was huskieless when we got married 5 years ago now) Our lifestyle currently just wont support doing BARF for the Chi's.

Reactions: Donnie and blkbd

·
Registered
115 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts