FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Stopped by midwest industries this morning and got a peek at the new rail/handguard keymod extension prototype. No pics (i asked). They did say i could talk about it.

It will replace the bottom rail and side rails with keymod along with an extension past the gasblock.

It is much smaller in diameter and verrrrrrrry comfy feeling.

If your looking for a scar rail/handguard/extension this will be it

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They are set up, far as i know, for keymod. They are wait and see what wins the keymod vs mlok war but producing keymod right now.

MI i believe will go with whatever becomes a standard. Troy loves his scar17's and his directly responsible for me having one... So if mlok wins i have no doubt you would see one at that point.

But there eas no hint of mlok for the scar17

My pref after holding both a full keymod and full mlok is keymod. Its got a much better feel without covers. Mlok feels too much like a picatinny rail with harsh edges. Handling a mlok in person im personally not a fan of it as you would have to install rail covers so its no big advance over picatinny in my opinion.

I dont hang stuff off my rifles and my goal has always been to get rid of rails and weight.

I just bought a mi keymod rail for my bcm carbine and this morning troy also showed me the new super light keymod rail with most of the picatinny rails on top missing and replaced with keymod slots. I dont know if they have announced it yet, but its going into production and i got to see a sample and it was super light.

So im returning my handguard i got yesterday to get this one. Its got a short rail section near the receiver for bridging and a section in front just big enough for a front sight.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Hurray! I can finally break my vow of silence about the MI SCAR Keymod!

Andy at MI swore me to secrecy about it 4 months ago and I have been cryptically discouraging SCAR owners from buying extensions or removing/modding their siderails...

This will be exactly what the doctor ordered for all of us who only want a rail extension as a place to park their off hand.

Now if they will finish the Keymod for the Bulgy/Russian Krinkovs I'll be in business with SCAR, AKs, Krinkov, ARs, Tavor all sporting Midwest Keymod extensions out front!

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
Hopefully it will look better than Vltors CASV.

·
Registered
957 Posts
This will be good. I just hope the fde is not the goldish color. I returned an AR rail due to the mismatch.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
So, did they decide to ditch leaving the factory plastic siderails in place so it could be smooth all the way back?
troy's goal is the smooth side scar17 shaving off the rails.

side rails will be replaced with keymod filler. if you dont have some the screws stick waaay out. the prototype i got to hold didnt have the side panels but the oem side rails will be gone as well as the bottom rail. other than that it looks just like their current scar extension. since the two holes that hold the side rails on also hold the yoke screw something has to be there. but the mi extension has a hole for the yoke screw. im not seeing any reason you cant just leave the two rail screws open and not put anything there.

im going to check back with the good folks at mi in a few weeks when they have a pre-production aluminum sample. my wanderings take my by their shop 2-3 times a month

captdaz said:
Hopefully it will look better than Vltors CASV.
it does. ive got the casv system will be putting it up on gunbroker when this comes out

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This will be good. I just hope the fde is not the goldish color. I returned an AR rail due to the mismatch.
i dont think it matters since nothing on the scar fde matches you will liekly have one part that matches it, but if you had the more accurate black version it wouldnt be an issue....

·
Registered
957 Posts
i dont think it matters since nothing on the scar fde matches you will liekly have one part that matches it, but if you had the more accurate black version it wouldnt be an issue....

I actually had and liked my gold colored scar (gone to another forum member now) but I prefer the browns and greens better. I hope the anodizing is more of those tones.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
When is this coming out? I just received their railed extension today. Now, I am thinking twice.
Well its protype right now. Im thinking 6-7 weeks but thats a guess but definately before end of summer. MI does pretty much everything except anodizing and printing packaging In house so they have a fast r&d to release timeline. If your in wisconsin or close enough to waukesha wi you can get one before they ship anywheere even before they go live on the website. They stock their store front first.

·
Registered
21,554 Posts
So, can you take the barrel off while leaving the rail on? or do you have to completely take the rail off to get the barrel off? (it's okay if you don't know/can't answer)

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
So, can you take the barrel off while leaving the rail on? or do you have to completely take the rail off to get the barrel off? (it's okay if you don't know/can't answer)
Maybe. I would think so since their current picatinny extension does that. But I didn't get to see what they did for the side rail section. The one I saw attached at the bottom along the bottom rail section and only at the two yoke screws on the sides. It might be removable same as oem scar barrel but I'm not 100% I will ask when I go by there next which might be today depending on if I get out of work early enough to exchange the ar15 handguard I bought two days ago for the newer super light keymod.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
How could you take the barrel if the site would prevent you from moving it through the extension?
The handguard comes off with the barrel. Asked troy about this just now as im sitting in MI's parking lot typing this. He said it will work just like the picatinny extension. Yoke, barrel, handguard pops off just as the oem config does.

I actually had and liked my gold colored scar (gone to another forum member now) but I prefer the browns and greens better. I hope the anodizing is more of those tones.
I want it, but I don't want the FDE to match any other part of the SCAR, that just takes away from the technitan.
Its not going to match any color on the scar17 in fde... So you rainbow coalition scar guys have another shade to collect.

As for mlok. Its coming once the keymod run is done. They are already set for keylock atm so mlok scar rail will be out when they switch over to a run of mlok.

Its coming but it wont be first out of the bag.

Im pretty excited about this as getting those rails gone is a dream and will really lighten the scar up.

1 - 20 of 102 Posts