FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my 509 midsize MRD a few days ago, and with any new gun, I like to cycle through the actions, load/unload mags to get a feel for it long before I actually fire the thing. I absolutely love the feel and look of this gun.

I was practicing loading the mag into the gun with the slide back to simulate an empty mag reload, and I guess I jammed the mag in a little too hard because I sheared the tiny metal 'bar' or 'prong' off the 'left housing' (part 401 in manual) of the trigger control group assembly. This is the piece that extends over the top of the magazine. I'm not even sure what this piece does. I've noticed it on all my pistols and I just assumed it had something to do with either seating the mag or guiding a round into the chamber.

I still haven't shot the gun, but I can cycle through all the actions just fine. I still feed from the mag and extract unfired rounds from chamber without issue. I have a warranty on the gun, but I'm not totally convinced I want to ship it back in and wait for it to get repaired. I found the part online for about 20 bucks and am tempted to just replace it myself, though it would be pushing my limits of 'gunsmithing' competency.

Should I just use the gun as is? Fix it myself? Or utilize my warranty? What do you guys think? Is there any danger to me or the gun in firing the gun in this state?

See pic below. Don't ask me how I found the piece that broke off.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,908 Posts
Okay then, the piece that broke off is the ejector a critical component of any firearm. DO NOT FIRE YOUR 509 until that is replaced. It is an integral part of the left side housing of the Fire Control Assembly. It absolutely needs to be fixed before you shoot it!

FN 509 Fire Control Assembly Kit, No Manual Safety

·
Premium Member
9,812 Posts
You can certainly fix it yourself, but, to be honest, it's kind of a pain in the arse. FN should warranty it without issue.

Now, if you were looking to upgrade your trigger, it may be worth it to do it yourself as you would have to strip it down in the same manner as the trigger job. Sort of a "since you're in there anyways" thing. You can get just the ejector side (left) of the fire control assembly if you go that route:

Either way, as @SeaMac said, get it fixed prior to shooting.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks akitainu, that would make perfect sense, but I wasn't looking to upgrade the trigger just yet. The optic and the gun swallowed up nearly all of my private expense fund for the year. Lol Maybe next year I'll get that smooth APEX trigger. Has anybody tried the apex trigger with the MCARBO trigger spring kit?

I figured I'd give the factory trigger a shot at breaking in after a few hundred rounds before I scrapped it. I found some good videos on taking the frame apart (here and here). It looks doable for me, but I'd have to be super careful not to bugger up my polymer frame knocking those pins out. Honestly I'd love to just fix it myself, partly because I love working on things, and partly because I'd hate to send this awesome gun into the mail and get it back who-knows-when, but I feel like on principle that I shouldn't be the one to fix this. I just bought it. It was damn expensive. Have not fired a round. And already a part broke. FN should fix it. And they will I believe, but I just have to say goodbye to my new gun so soon.

Have you heard of this happening to anyone else with a 509? All I did was insert the magazine (with ammo) into the gun with the slide back in a firm motion (like I would under stress), and I hear this tiny metal sound hitting the ground and bouncing around in my garage. All I could think was "that's not good!". I inspected the gun for a while before I figured out what happened.

Looking at the gun now, it seems that the mags (4 different ones) insert just a bit too far up the frame of the gun (see pic), and it is somewhat looser than I'm used to with other pistols. Maybe it's a problem with the mag catch? I have a Springfield XDS 9mm and when I put this mag in it is firm and secure and does not threaten the 'ejector' (thank you SeaMac, I'm an idiot). The XDS cost half as much and was made in Croatia!
Automotive lighting Bumper Bag Eyewear Automotive design

·
Premium Member
8,908 Posts
I for one would like to know what FN says, as the ejector is integral with the left housing of the FCA it is likely a MIM part. That being said it should not break that easily as nothing you've described could be considered abuse or neglect. In fact the opposite is true, the 509 was designed to compete for the new US Military pistol contract. As such, slamming I mean with force slamming a magazine home with a slide locked back is more than simply common in combat.

If you do choose to fix it yourself I highly recommend purchasing the Apex Disassembly Fixture, it is not expensive but worth it's weight in gold.

·
Premium Member
9,812 Posts
That mag does look to seat a bit high (although it is hard to tell without the ejector as a reference point), which could easily account for the broken ejector. Still shouldn't have happened though.

This is a 509C Tac with a 12 round mag:

And with a 17 round mag (no sleeve):

If you do choose to fix it yourself I highly recommend purchasing the Apex Disassembly Fixture, it is not expensive but worth it's weight in gold
This...x10

·
Premium Member
8,908 Posts
@akitainu the feedlips of your mags never extend above the lower edge of your ejector. In contrast ATL's are nearly in the middle of the ejector. As we learn rarely can two objects share the same space, something had to give. The question is then, what caused the mag to extend so far?

·
Premium Member
9,812 Posts
I'd send that puppy back to FN, on their dime, of course. It always sucks to have to do that, but that's what the warranty is for. A couple years back, I had a brand new SCAR 17 that came, out of the box, with an issue that I could fix, but it would have had me dipping into my supply fund. I called FN, got an RMA and had it back in three weeks. Sure, it was a looooong three weeks, but it was fixed and cost me no money and very little time.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
akitainu,

Yeah, three weeks sucks right after getting your new gun (especially the SCAR Heavy!). But you did the right thing. Now I have to do the same. Thank you for the pics. It has to be the frame or the mag catch. I have four different mags (see pic): 2 from factory (15-round) w/gun, 1 from Palmetto State Armory (17-round with sleeve), and 1 from Sportsman's Outdoor Superstore (24-round w/ 2 sleeves). All of them seat into the frame at the same height. The ejector actually broke with one of the 15 rounders.

SeaMac,

"509 was designed to compete for the new US Military pistol contract... As such, slamming I mean with force slamming a magazine home with a slide locked back is more than simply common in combat. "

This is what I was thinking as well. Also, I will most likely get the disassembly fixture if I ever have to get those pins out.

Office supplies Tool Material property Font Metal

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, I got my pistol back from FN and it looks to be fixed. I mailed it on July 19th and got it back today, Jul 29th. I am very happy with the turn around!

I didn't see any description of what they'd done for my case number at the FN site, so I called them to see what happened. Apparently they just replaced the rear trigger assembly. They ran some rounds through it and it worked fine. I haven't shot it yet, but I'm looking to this weekend.

It seems to feed magazines properly in place underneath the ejector now, whereas before it was clear that the mag, especially with a round in it, would invade the space of the ejector as seen in photos above.

I don't think I'll be slamming mags in any more just to be safe. Not really a need to do that for me anyway. I saw an argument online that it is better to reload before you run dry anyway, and that seems to be the more professional thing to do: count the rounds expended and then reload with one in the chamber (even if you leave one or more in the ejected mag), that way you decide (intelligently based on circumstances) when to reload not the gun.

Thanks for all the help guys!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Thanks akitainu, that would make perfect sense, but I wasn't looking to upgrade the trigger just yet. The optic and the gun swallowed up nearly all of my private expense fund for the year. Lol Maybe next year I'll get that smooth APEX trigger. Has anybody tried the apex trigger with the MCARBO trigger spring kit?

I figured I'd give the factory trigger a shot at breaking in after a few hundred rounds before I scrapped it. I found some good videos on taking the frame apart (here and here). It looks doable for me, but I'd have to be super careful not to bugger up my polymer frame knocking those pins out. Honestly I'd love to just fix it myself, partly because I love working on things, and partly because I'd hate to send this awesome gun into the mail and get it back who-knows-when, but I feel like on principle that I shouldn't be the one to fix this. I just bought it. It was damn expensive. Have not fired a round. And already a part broke. FN should fix it. And they will I believe, but I just have to say goodbye to my new gun so soon.

Have you heard of this happening to anyone else with a 509? All I did was insert the magazine (with ammo) into the gun with the slide back in a firm motion (like I would under stress), and I hear this tiny metal sound hitting the ground and bouncing around in my garage. All I could think was "that's not good!". I inspected the gun for a while before I figured out what happened.

Looking at the gun now, it seems that the mags (4 different ones) insert just a bit too far up the frame of the gun (see pic), and it is somewhat looser than I'm used to with other pistols. Maybe it's a problem with the mag catch? I have a Springfield XDS 9mm and when I put this mag in it is firm and secure and does not threaten the 'ejector' (thank you SeaMac, I'm an idiot). The XDS cost half as much and was made in Croatia!
View attachment 144006
You can fix it yourself if you want. All you need is the Left Housing available from Midwest Gun Works, part number 67405.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I did not read the full thread before posting. So disregard.
FYI, I did just install the Apex trigger and sear. The trigger pull with it installed is 5 lb 2 oz, to 5 lb 8 oz. it is very gritty. It was probably gritty before the install. FWIW, the stock trigger on the FNS-9 is better.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I did not read the full thread before posting. So disregard.
FYI, I did just install the Apex trigger and sear. The trigger pull with it installed is 5 lb 2 oz, to 5 lb 8 oz. it is very gritty. It was probably gritty before the install. FWIW, the stock trigger on the FNS-9 is better.
No worries man. I thought about fixing it myself, but I was worried there might have been something harder to fix that was the culprit. It turns out, it was just the Left Housing after all.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts