FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
LITTLE FALLS, Minn. - A Minnesota man on trial for killing two teenagers after they broke into his house planned the killings, and was lying in wait in his basement with a book, some snacks and two guns, prosecutors said Monday. But a defense attorney countered that his client was terrified after several increasingly violent break-ins and hid after hearing a window break and footsteps upstairs.
Byron Smith, 65, of Little Falls, is charged with first-degree premeditated murder in the slayings of 17-year-old Nick Brady and 18-year-old Haile Kifer on Thanksgiving Day in 2012. The killings rocked the small central Minnesota city of about 8,000 and stirred debate about how far a person can go in defending their home.
Byron Smith, Minnesota homeowner on trial for murder, lay in wait for teen burglars, prosecutor says - CBS News

What is wrong with this guy? I have no problem with him firing as many rounds as it takes to put down an intruder, but admittedly delivering a coup de grace to an unarmed teenage girl to prevent her suffering, moving and stacking the dead bodies, as well as not reporting the incident to the police until the next day is just plain sick! Should he be charged with 1st & 2nd degree murder? I think not, but maybe criminal homicide for the admitted euthanasia and tampering with evidence. I am tired of prosecutors over charging suspects without enough evidence to prove the case, relying on emotional jurors to get convictions.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Can you lay in wait for intruders in your own home? Isn't that just being paranoid in your own house? I have a hard time seeing that as a circumstance that would warrant first degree murder.

As to shooting the girl multiple times, moving bodies out to his workshop that is not acceptable is there should be criminal liability for those actions.

Also, in regards to the girl being shot, it seems that she was part of a later break in to the house. I surmise that since the guy had moved the boy's body out to the shed and returned to his basement. Clearly there was a lot of time passing at this stage. If he had called the police immediately it is likely the girl would not have been killed. (She may be a dirtbag, but she doesn't necessarily deserve to die).

·
Registered
409 Posts
The bottom line is stay out of houses that don't belong to you and you will not be killed. If those "kids" had not broke into his house they would still be alive.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Delivering a "finishing" shot is murder, isn't it? Wasn't there a case several years ago where a shop owner shot an unarmed robber. Then decided to stand over him and execute him?

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Yeah any shots in that position are consider murder from what I understand since they are not a immediate threat to you

·
Registered
131 Posts
Absolutely murder, and this guy deserves to fry for it

Sent from my KFJWI using Tapatalk HD

1 - 7 of 7 Posts