FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry for the crappy pics.
I thought I saw someone put one of these comparison threads up a while back...didn't see it when I looked just now. But another couldn't hurt?

This is preliminary. I've found enough to interest me. I'll have a better look
when I have more time and a better camera...

Here are the rifles we’ll be looking at:

The first differences are the obvious ones. The MK17 has some extra markings and sticker. The selector markings are also different.

MK17

I expected the side rails to differ as I’ve heard they do. On this MK17 they were plastic just like the 17S.

Digging in, I went straight for the obvious, the lower and FCG.
Obviously there is an auto sear in the MK17. The pictures don’t capture it, but the hammer and pin that retains the hammer are shaped slightly different.

Closer-
If you look in the rear of the lower, you'll see the 17s has a date stamp, the Mk17 doesn't.

Next was the ground down pin, front – left side of the magwell on the 17S. I’ve been told this is here for importation purposes.

Next, I dig into the BCG and this is where things get VERY interesting…

I did not have the time today, but the differences in the carrier are worth looking into.
Even at a glace, they look so different. Today we’ll point out the obvious, later measurements will be needed for sure. If you look close, the difference is already obvious…

Internals and the bolt appear same-same.

Cuts on the BCG, different. (look at some of the other differences not noted)

Rear for the carrier is also different. (again, look at all the differences not noted)

From the rear of the carrier.

Weight, also not the same. I expected this.

On the MK17 there were some strange looking cuts. They were still bare metal.
These were angled slightly different than the cuts on the 17S. The Cuts on the 17S
were not bare metal they were anodized like the rest of the gun. I looked at another MK17
and it too had the same bare metal cuts. Also note the “D” stamped into the 17S.

Another view

Gas blocks appear identical, same settings and all. I didn’t get the chance to pull
the piston out this time around. I spent too much time looking at the carrier.

All in all, I didn’t answer any questions. Having looked inside both side by side…
I’m just left with more questions… If anyone has specific question, or something specific
they’d like to see between the two, just let me know. Like I said, I’ll be getting more
into the carrier later when I have more time. Perhaps the end of next week…

·
Registered
21,553 Posts
Interesting. What length barrels are on each?

·
Banned
406 Posts
Technique, you military? Where did the Mk17 come from? Just asking....

·
Registered
21,553 Posts
He has his occupation listed as 07/SOT :)

·
Banned
406 Posts
A 07/SOT can purchase a Mk17 or Mk16 from FN? Sorry if I sound ignorant about the NFA world but I am learning.....everyday. And also, technique, may I query on a price for the Mk17? Only reason I ask is because the only thing I want more right now than a 17s is a Mk17.

·
Registered
21,553 Posts
They can get them as post-May samples for making stuff for the guns and using them to test whatever they make.

·
Banned
406 Posts
You do realize this is borderline cause for mutiny?

Technique.....beautiful damn weapon there and please feel privileged because I'd stick my pecker in a beehive for that Mk17. Good job, amigo.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
I wonder if the barrel extension is different....thus a "D' ,marking beind necessary.Technique...if you would be so kind and its not breaking Any laws...iti know they wont fit...could you swap parts from the MK 17 and Place them on the 17s....Barrell bolt carrier trigger module...that would be interesting....

·
Premium Member
3,531 Posts
Interesting to note - I do not see any evidence of extra metal on the 17s that would prevent the MK17 lower from being fitted.

HK had to appease ATF by welding a bridge on the upper to prevent FA lowers from fitting. Shaving the bridge constitutes manufacturing FA - hence a felony without SOT.

The SCAR seems to be void of this feature. In my educated opinion (yes I went to school) welding stuff on, pins and what not is just a stupid ass 1 hr worth of inconvenient labor to anyone that is hell bent on converting something to FA.

I guess ATF thinks that most felons dont have a dremmel or could not purchase one at Home Depot.

Another wierd feature is the fact that the MK17 bolt carrier is heavier despite having more metal removed. Better steel?

Anyways - thanks for the pics and writeup.

-TH

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Im assuming that nothc on the back of the bolt carrier and that extra thinga magig in the trigger pack work together to allow the rifle to operate properly.

·
Registered
22,109 Posts
IKEWarrior04 said:
Im assuming that nothc on the back of the bolt carrier and that extra thinga magig in the trigger pack work together to allow the rifle to operate properly.

:eek:

:-D

Couldn't have said it better myself. :lol:

Just messin' :?

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Ohh i will!!! only conclusion i can come up with that its got somthing to do with the trigger mechanism....somehow i think that the 'D' on the barrel extension is slighty different so the trigger module from the MK 17 wont be able to fit on the 17s....again just speculation.

·
Registered
9 Posts
The bolt carrier weight difference is odd. Might it be something like the HK G3/33/MP5 series bolts with some tungsten particles sealed inside acting as an anti-bounce weight? Looks like a welded up plug on the backside of the full auto bolt carrier?

·
Premium Member
3,531 Posts
CountryBoy said:
Thermallator said:
Interesting to note - I do not see any evidence of extra metal on the 17s that would prevent the MK17 lower from being fitted.

-TH
you didnt look quite good enough :?
AHA! - sidewalls have a mill cut on them along the length of the firearm, where the lower would mate with the upper.

I see.

-TH

1 - 20 of 30 Posts