FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the availability of the Scar 17 in select fire. Are these available in the civilian market as a Class 3 item?

·
Registered
6,701 Posts
You can have anything you want, for a price ;)

·
Registered
372 Posts
I think youtuber kiwitedferny from New Zealand just bought one. There probably are more FA's out here in US. Imagine how expensive they are gonna be tho...

·
Registered
6,701 Posts
Its not the rifle thats expensive, its the licenses you need to possess to purchase the rifle. Sarge or another SOT on here can clear that up.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You can have anything you want, for a price ;)
Is that true with a Scar? Wouldn't it have to be a transferable item and as such wouldn't it have to have been manufactured and registered with the ATF prior to May 19, 1986 to be transferable between citizens? Did a Scar exist in 1986?

·
Registered
6,701 Posts
Is that true with a Scar? Wouldn't it have to be a transferable item and as such wouldn't it have to have been manufactured and registered with the ATF prior to May 19, 1986 to be transferable between citizens? Did a Scar exist in 1986?
Id wait for Sarge to answer that one. It is possible though. A guy I work with has an FFL and SOT license and has multiple FA firearms. He was showing me a distributor list for MK17s and MK16s and all sorts of other awesome FN stuff that he could buy.

·
Premium Member
21,753 Posts
Wouldn't it have to be a transferable item and as such wouldn't it have to have been manufactured and registered with the ATF prior to May 19, 1986 to be transferable between citizens?
Correct.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I can't see how this is what it appears to be especially at this price. Something is missing from the fine print. Scar 17 MK17 Select Fire Lower Receiver 308 : AR15 Parts at GunBroker.com I don't know how it could be a transferable item and can only assume for $1099 it is not what it appears to be. Quick question - I am new here and I can't get my messages to format into separate paragraphs or put spaces between lines. What am I missing? Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
21,753 Posts
I am new here and I can't get my messages to format into separate paragraphs or put spaces between lines. What am I missing? Thanks in advance!
Click the icon, top all the way to the left in the reply box. :?

·
Premium Member
21,753 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I did read that - over and over again. I called a friend who is a Class 3 SOT dealer and he surmised that it is A - a very poor description, B - an item that can only be purchased by someone who is considered a manufacturer or C - it is a LE item only. Neither B or C is in the description of the auction.

·
Premium Member
21,753 Posts
Some think that this, "NFA rules do apply", covers it all as you should know what you are buying.

Reactions: STL

·
Registered
25,418 Posts
I did read that - over and over again. I called a friend who is a Class 3 SOT dealer and he surmised that it is A - a very poor description, B - an item that can only be purchased by someone who is considered a manufacturer or C - it is a LE item only. Neither B or C is in the description of the auction.
The pile of parts is not the actually regulated. Having a SCAR 17S and...

...well...

That could land you in a heap O' hot water with the gold badges from the BATFE.

Parts are just that, parts. By themselves. Now, if somebody who is not properly licensed wants to be a knucklehead, then they will...

...and if they're caught doing stupid things, they will WIN! stupid prizes... guaranteed.

-SS

·
Registered
876 Posts
Yeah you can buy full auto parts....heck I see P90 "de-milled" kits on Gunbroker all the time. But unless you have a FFL and SOT paid your gonna get in big trouble. Also the parts are not for personal use. i.e. Get license's and buy full-autos for your enjoyment. Big no no. I know what you're thinking. If the machine gun was made before 1986 it can be owned by me but if it was manufactured after 1986 I can't own it. Makes no sense to me either. All it does is make everyone except the extremely wealthy not able to own full-auto guns. It could be said that it's discrimination against everyone but the wealthy.

·
Registered
25,418 Posts
An individual cannot buy this:

SCAR 17s SELECT FIRE Lower Receiver, Complete : Class 3 Parts & Accessories at GunBroker.com

This item is classified as a machginegun and possession of such an item is restricted and heavily regulated.

Exclusions are 07/02 SOT holders and certain governmental agencies.

It is the registered part (a machinegun) and is put on the NFA registry via a form 2 by the manufacturer. Transfer to another SOT without a "demo letter" constitutes a violation of the NFA.

-SS

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
An individual cannot buy this:

SCAR 17s SELECT FIRE Lower Receiver, Complete : Class 3 Parts & Accessories at GunBroker.com

This item is classified as a machginegun and possession of such an item is restricted and heavily regulated.

Exclusions are 07/02 SOT holders and certain governmental agencies.

It is the registered part (a machinegun) and is put on the NFA registry via a form 2 by the manufacturer. Transfer to another SOT without a "demo letter" constitutes a violation of the NFA.

-SS
So the seller is commiting a crime by having it for sale on there?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts