FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys,

Was hoping someone in the know can answer this... Looking at this attached picture, the Mk20's gas piston seems to be a lot further forward than the gas piston on the 17S.

Are my eyes playing tricks on me? Is it a function of the longer 20" barrel? Or is it done to change the recoil characteristics? Does this mean a longer piston or a longer carrier rod?

This could just be the way I am perceiving it but I wanted to make sure. Thanks!

Note: I found this picture during an internet search, not taking credit and don't know who did it originally.

Attachments

Reactions: d762nato

·
Registered
600 Posts
Not sure myself but I do like the way FN elongated the forearm on it. I can't wait to actually see these in civi hands and hear/see some actual shooting stats/groups on the accuracy folks are getting out of them.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Hey guys,

Was hoping someone in the know can answer this... Looking at this attached picture, the Mk20's gas piston seems to be a lot further forward than the gas piston on the 17S.

Are my eyes playing tricks on me? Is it a function of the longer 20" barrel? Or is it done to change the recoil characteristics? Does this mean a longer piston or a longer carrier rod?
There are 15 picatinny spaces from charging handle to where the gas system starts on both the Mk17 and the Mk20

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well that would have been the smart way for me to figure it out. Thanks for pointing that out!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hey guys,

This could just be the way I am perceiving it but I wanted to make sure. Thanks!

Note: I found this picture during an internet search, not taking credit and don't know who did it originally.
Hi spartanranger,

The pic is mine from the SHOT show. I didn't get to get into all the specifics due to the crowd behind me, and the rep not having much info to give. One thing I can say is, this rifle was designed to be a DMR. Even though being very similar to the SCAR-H, the Mk 20 has some upgrades that are immediately noticeable. One being the heavier/longer barrel, and the stock trigger is a lot better. Not Geissele good, but definitely better than the stock ones that you've probably felt. Another thing that I noticed was, even though the barrel has the heavier profile, and is longer, it is not that nose heavy. It seems FN designed the Mk 20 with some balance in mind. The stock is heavier (of course balances the rifle better), but the rep said that the stock in the pic is for the military, and the civilian version will not be shipped with it (good thing Stryker Enterprises is coming out with one). Since Stryker actually has some trigger time behind one, he'd probably be able to answer your question. These were just my quick observations with the little time that I had to fondle the Mk 20 :|. Can't wait till I get a chance to own and shoot one.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you for taking the time to reply! I love that picture. I thought they were going to release it as I with the stock and everything. If it s priced at $4000+ and doesn't even include the stock...what's the point?

·
Registered
2 Posts
That's a boner killer...Very sexy...means I am going to have to get that one now....

Hey guys,

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I think I'm going to go with the CSR 20 instead and go with the 16" barrel. It should be a pound and a half lighter.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Thank you for taking the time to reply! I love that picture. I thought they were going to release it as I with the stock and everything. If it s priced at $4000+ and doesn't even include the stock...what's the point?
I also wonder what's going on there. Does anyone know why FN won't be selling the Mk20 stock at all?

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
From what I understand, the SSR and CSR 20 will both have the super nice adjustable stock. Even on the FN website it shows the magpul stock but the description says it has the adjustable stock. Looks like the magpul stock could be a cheaper option is all.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts