FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was recently gifted/inherited a model 98 FN Mauser and want to definitively identify what I have. After spending more hours than I care to admit scouring the internet, I believe I have it figured out. Amazingly, though this rifle really isn't that old, good information is hard to find and decipher. I believe I have the non-engraved version of the deluxe sporter in .270 Winchester, manufactured between 1950-52. I am hoping this can either be confirmed or I can be told what it actually is if I am wrong.
Air gun Trigger Wood Shotgun Gun barrel

Wood Shotgun Air gun Gun barrel Trigger

The following I believe to be true and is what got me to this conclusion:
  • The star over X proof mark indicates 1937-1964 for manufacture. This i know is true.
    Cylinder Handwriting Tints and shades Font Drink

• The wing safety is mounted on the bolt itself. I believe this was phased out in the later 1950's in favor of the sliding safety mounted on the tang. I believe the tang safety was a characteristic of the Supreme magnum.
    Material property Shotgun Trigger Automotive exterior Gun accessory

• The pearly embellishment at the bottom of pistol grip checkering was used on the Deluxe version and not on the Supreme magnum.
    Wood Wrist Human leg Metal Nail

• The FN logo on the receiver was phased out in the mid-1950's. The receiver is also not drilled and tapped, which would have been more likely in the later years.
    Camera accessory Cosmetics Tints and shades Circle Metal

• The rifle includes an Armstrong dual range rear sight. I don't believe this was offered on the Supreme magnum.
    Bicycle handlebar Automotive tire Bicycle part Trigger Bicycle fork

• There are several FN date codes stamped throughout the receiver, action, and trigger. These are the number in a box codes. On the underside of the bolt and the trigger there is a '1' in a box. On the receiver there are three marks that confuse me, they are: what is either a '0' in a box or a poorly stamped delta, the Belgian date code for 1951; and a number in a box that appears to be a 1 on top of a 2 or a 1 on top of a delta.
    Wall Rectangle Font Gas Brick

Automotive exterior Rectangle Auto part Gun accessory Font
  • This last picture is from under the floor plate and appears to be a backwards capital gamma, the Belgian code for 1950, but I couldn't tell you why they would stamp it backwards.
    Brown Wood Door Tints and shades Font
I can post more pictures if needed, but I am limited to 10. Any help is appreciated to nail down the model, the year of manufacture, and an approximate value for insurance reasons. Thanks for looking.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts