FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
6,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I haven't been able to find much regarding the MOE+ but plenty on the MIAD. In light of that, this is my tentative plan, it's only in the theoretical stage so anyone with input please chime in.

THEORETICAL METHOD:

1) I intend to trim the trigger module/lower tang using a fine jewelers saw to make a few cuts horizontally thereby giving me a depth guide for when I start the Dremel and filing. After which I will use different grit sandpaper to smooth it out and make it "appear" as if it were done professionally. Why trim the tang? If I decide to change grips in the future they should fit without issue. Why go through all the trouble to make it look "professional"? Hey, it's my SCAR and I'd like it to remain scarless for at least a little while, then again I am somewhat a perfectionist.

2) There may be an issue with the beavertail mating correctly with the lower, I won't know for sure until I get the tang trimmed to perfectly accept the grip. If I do encounter a fit issue I intend to freeze the grip then use an X-ACTO router blade to scallop out the excess material. Why freeze? I've researched a few Machinist forums and they all tend to agree for soft rubber, freezing before cutting/trimming is the best method. As with the tang, I'd like the end result to be as professional appearing as possible also, if other's wish to attempt the same I'd like the results to be repeatable and relatively easy.

POTENTIAL CONFLICTS:

1) I've already removed the stock grip and have temporarily installed the MOE+ and there's definitely a gap which needs addressing. However, the MagPul provided screw is too short and I will either use the factory or find a suitable alternative.

2) There is an issue with how much the grip screw extends into the trigger module just under the trigger itself and I will be installing Geissele therefore I need to be sure there is no issue with clearance. I could cut the factory screw or purchase a proper length alternative. Anyone know the particulars on the factory screw?

3) If a spacer or backing plate is required I'll need to be mindful of its placement, if inside the MOE+ there could be a clearance issue with my battery storage core.

INPUT REQUEST: For all the above, does anyone have any input or suggestions before I attempt this? Please realize the finished product needs to look reasonably professional and be relatively easy and repeatable for other's should they wish to install the same grip.

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
3,173 Posts
I got my MOE+ in the mail today and I noticed like a stock AR grip that it has that little slope where the grip contacts the trigger guard. This slope is right before the area inside of the grip that levels out and contacts the tang. I'm not sure if the MIAD has that slope as well. What I'm wondering is do people file down the "slope" as well or just the flat tang contact surface and the back strap?

·
Premium Member
25,418 Posts
Check thread pitch on supplied fastener with square nut for proper fitment.

Square nut is metric.

Supplied grip fastener may not interface properly, resulting in a massive headache.

-SS

·
Registered
6,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
For those that don't think a MagPul MOE+ will fit, I have news for you. It will, it does take about 20 minutes of filing the tang but it fits just fine. My OP was more me being cautious when it was really nothing to accomplish, literally 20 minutes with a file and it fits perfectly with no modification whatsoever to the grip.

·
Registered
6,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
WOW! What timing Sarge, thanks! But it's on with little headache at all. I did install the Geiselle trigger first to check for bolt clearance and used the bolt provided in the trigger kit with zero issues. I am one very happy camper!

Check thread pitch on supplied fastener with square nut for proper fitment.

Square nut is metric.

Supplied grip fastener may not interface properly, resulting in a massive headache.

-SS

·
Registered
3,173 Posts
For those that don't think a MagPul MOE+ will fit, I have news for you. It will, it does take about 20 minutes of filing the tang but it fits just fine. My OP was more me being cautious when it was really nothing to accomplish, literally 20 minutes with a file and it fits perfectly with no modification whatsoever to the grip.
Glad it worked out for you but I thought that you were going to mod the grip as apposed to the module tang. Any how I'm glad that you are stoked. I am going to try and do it by filing the grip.

So, the good news is that it sounds like the MOE + beaver tail conforms to the module with out modification. This is good news!

·
Registered
6,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I honestly thought I was going to need to mod the MOE+ as it turned out no mods were required on the grip. I used a half-round file for bulk material removal and a mill file to finish it off. I took my time all of 20 minutes, kept fitting and filing 'til it fit perfectly. One thing I did notice, the MagPul provided bolt is too short, the FN stock bolt will be too long and may interfere with your trigger. Fortunately, the Geiselle trigger came with a bolt that was a perfect fit with no protrusion into the trigger module/lower which it requires.

Glad it worked out for you but I thought that you were going to mod the grip as apposed to the module tang. Any how I'm glad that you are stoked. I am going to try and do it by filing the grip.

So, the good news is that it sounds like the MOE + beaver tail conforms to the module with out modification. This is good news!

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
There may be a reason that FN had the grip tang that thickness. There's a recent post of where a person that reduced the tang had it break and the lower modules are $100 compared to a $20 grip.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Got pics? Not really looking for pics of the modded lower, more of the MOE+ fitted to it.

·
Registered
6,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
We don't know all the facts about the cracked lower in question, as in how much material was removed and if there was a gap between lower and grip. I know that I removed very little material and can't see the material I did remove causing a problem. Also, I live in Florida and the potential of "this" SCAR being exposed to the low temps the "other" SCAR was, is extremely remote. I do intend to replace the lower altogether once i6 makes their aluminum version available.

There may be a reason that FN had the grip tang that thickness. There's a recent post of where a person that reduced the tang had it break and the lower modules are $100 compared to a $20 grip.

·
Registered
6,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Patience Jeff, I have a few more "things" ordered and on their way. As soon as they arrive it's off to OSS for some bullet loosing fun.

SeaMac,
When are you going to break that new Scar16 in? Have you gotten all your accessories for it yet?

-Jeff

·
Registered
6,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
PHOTO UPDATE: As promised here is the photo of the MagPul MOE+ installed on my SCAR 16s with zero modification whatsoever to the grip, I also removed less than an 1/8" of material from the trigger module/lower tang to make this grip fit.

View attachment 23810

·
Registered
3,173 Posts
I started filing and dremeled my MOE+ grip a today. It seems like its fitting nicely but it's hard to tell if I took too much off. I did many fittings in between sanding. It seems that the grip material gets a bit thin. For those that mod the MIAD, what the heck are you guys using for files? I have a set of mini files that get in there well but it the sides by the grip channel wall don't file easily/level. Perhaps the trick is to have a file that is an exact fit to the grip internal? I'm not sure if I want to use this grip or chalk it up to a learning experience and try a new one.

·
Registered
6,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You can check fit with waxed dental floss as I did or use Plastigage, I can see where removing too much material could be problematic for the MOE+ which is why I chose the tang mod route.

I started filing and dremeled my MOE+ grip a today. It seems like its fitting nicely but it's hard to tell if I took too much off. I did many fittings in between sanding. It seems that the grip material gets a bit thin. For those that mod the MIAD, what the heck are you guys using for files? I have a set of mini files that get in there well but it the sides by the grip channel wall don't file easily/level. Perhaps the trick is to have a file that is an exact fit to the grip internal? I'm not sure if I want to use this grip or chalk it up to a learning experience and try a new one.

·
Registered
3,173 Posts
Did you clamp the module in a vice to keep it stationary when filing? Did you make a tang template from an AR or just filed by eye?

I'm leaning towards the tang route as much as I don't want to. I know that with the MIAD filing the grip is relatively easy. However, the MOE or MOE + is a bit different I believe. With the MIAD you can detach the beaver tail and have uninhibited access to file from the rear of the grip. You can make nice level clean file strokes, not the case with the MOE's.

·
Registered
6,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
I did it by eye with no vise and while I don't see as well as I used to (a LOT of lights were on) it worked out just fine. I used a half-round (coarse) file to remove the bulk of the material then a mill (fine) file to finish and clean it up. It really only took me about 20 minutes. I determined the amount of material to be removed by the gap between the grip and lower (pre-mod) and slowly filed while checking repeatedly until the gap was almost gone. At this point I used waxed dental floss like Plastigage and worked the grip right up snug. I will say this again (it IS important), you need to be certain the bolt does NOT INTERFERE with the trigger. The MagPul provided bolt was way too short, the FN stock bolt ended up being way too long but the Geiselle bolt provided with their trigger worked perfectly. If you do decide to mod the tang, just take your time, you will notice not much material needs to be removed and I really can't see such an insignificant amount detrimentally affecting the tang's structural integrity.

Did you clamp the module in a vice to keep it stationary when filing? Did you make a tang template from an AR or just filed by eye?

I'm leaning towards the tang route as much as I don't want to. I know that with the MIAD filing the grip is relatively easy. However, the MOE or MOE + is a bit different I believe. With the MIAD you can detach the beaver tail and have uninhibited access to file from the rear of the grip. You can make nice level clean file strokes, not the case with the MOE's.

Reactions: Milspec
1 - 20 of 23 Posts