FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I may get stoned for this. But has any one ever thought of modifying their factory mag to hold 50 rounds themselves without buying the kit or a 50 round mag. Its looks to me like you could remove material from the base plate to aquire this goal. Let me know your thoughts and I might give it a shot. Colt

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
Yes, I have heard others state it could be done. But, I'd rather just pay a few dollars and just get the piece already done. I ordered mine the same time I ordered my optic rails, so it was no big deal (I didn't have to pay any extra shipping)

·
Registered
55 Posts
That’s what I did, just cut out the spacer with a drimmel, then used epoxy to glue the top and bottom. I took a couple of pic. I will post when I find them.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Found them, here they are.

After cutting the middle section.

Afer putting together.

I loaded it up and used it and it ran fine. I remember thinking that the epoxy looked kind of ugly but after I put it into the mag body you could not even tell. I do remember hearing that some guys lost the capicity of 1 round, but I do not remember having this problem. Or maybe I just did not have it loaded to the max. Anyway there you go. Good luck.

:D

·
Registered
857 Posts
I thought about doing the same thing, if you mess it up no biggie.
I had ordered the base plate from MPF but it was just a piece of plastic with a bolt in it. It looked like crap.

I am thinking a little bit of crazy glue would work better then epoxy and look neeter. The part will basiclly be held together with pressure any way
It should actually work even if you don't glue it together.

I would like to have one factory baseplate for 50 rounders before i do the mod, just incase i break something.

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
wlcohen said:
I thought about doing the same thing, if you mess it up no biggie.
I had ordered the base plate from MPF but it was just a piece of plastic with a bolt in it. It looked like crap.
As stated above - U can't see what it looks like when inside of the mag - it IS a piece of plastic. If it works, then it did its job.

·
Registered
857 Posts
That one looks a lot nicer then the one i got

Does it have the thingy on the other side that holds the spring like the stock spacer does

Also - for those that have orginal 50 rounders - when you take the spring out is it the same as the 30 rounder spring?

·
Registered
152 Posts
It does have the thingy on the otherside that attaches to the spring. Yes the spring in the 30 round mag is the same as the 50 round mag.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Is the thing that attaches the spring to the base plate necessary for proper function of the magazine?

I just cut off the extension, then put the mag back together...

·
Registered
152 Posts
Fargo said:
Is the thing that attaches the spring to the base plate necessary for proper function of the magazine?

I just cut off the extension, then put the mag back together...
No, its not necessary, but makes for easier cleaning.

·
Registered
857 Posts
[quote removed by admin]

Well the "fine: folks at magazineparts won't sell me the piece of plastic
becuase they say

---------------------------------------------------
Ah, Maryland is definitely the issue. As you probably already know, your state restricts the purchase, sale, and manufacture of any new removable magazine over 20 rounds. In Maryland, the problem is not the little piece of plastic itself; however, there are still legal issues involved. Both with manufacturing (the act of inserting the part into the magazine) and constructive possession (i.e. possession of the plastic magazine plate and a magazine body capable of accepting it equals intent and ability to manufacturer the illegal item, thus being a crime in itself). Furthermore, the conversion part will not work with the 10-rnd PS90 magazines available for sale in your state. While it might be legal to ship the part to you, it is our position to follow the letter of the law and to keep the best interests of our customers ahead of our financial goals. I'm sorry we can't be of more help.

Best regards,

Tyler Schopler
MagazineParts.com
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

·
Registered
125 Posts
Can't blame them for that position on MD law. It is not worth the trouble for either of you. It is a pain in the ass, but it is the law.

A

·
0 Posts
I think it is just simpler to pay a few dollars and have the piece mailed to you.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Axiom said:
I think it is just simpler to pay a few dollars and have the piece mailed to you.
But they won't - i had one from another source that i did not like since it was just a piece of stiff plastic with a bolt in the center. I can make that myself, but i want somthing more professional looking. It can't take more than 5 mins. with dremel to modify the 30 rounder.

Right now i actually just don't care enought to modify or make a new baseplate, i got 2 30 rounders and that's fine for now.

·
Registered
857 Posts
So I was in my basement screwing around at my work bench when i see a nice piece of sturdy plastic just sitting there.

Few minutes later with help from my dremel, I got 2 new base plates.
For the little button, i actually used those small round rubber button type bumpers like you see on drawers and cabinets to keep them from banging.
The size was perfect, they have their own adheasive back but i used some super glue also. It on there rock solid.

New place works like a charm. cost me almost nothing and took about 5 minutes.

Before i cut the plastic - I made a template out of carboard. Acutally the cardboard template worked fine also, since the bottom plate of the mag is what is holding all the pressure, the little plate with the know is actually just holding on the bottom of the mag so it can't slide off.

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
5 MINUTES!

I don't have that kinda time, man!!!

Hahahah... Just kidding - Well, glad it worked out for ya. I have no dremel and should be arrested if I even pick up a powertool :p - for my own safety. But if ya have the skills... THat's fine :)

·
Registered
857 Posts
It was so simple a monkey could acomplish it -

Like i said - a stiff piece of cardboard worked fine also and you could cut that out with a box cutter

1 - 20 of 76 Posts