FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New features in the works:

1. As you have observerd, I have added chat. The chat will show who's on-line chatting. It will integrate with current user names. It will also allow moderation and host special events - when FNH USA may host Q&A period once a week. These will be published on a calendar.

2. Youtube tags (link You tube videos directly to the post)

3. More/better emoticons

4. Karma ranks based on a + and - that any member may give another member. This will serve as a self policing in the community. When someone contributes valuable information, he/she may receive + points from other members. Likewise - deragatory comments may receive - points.

5. Host of Admin improvements for moderation, spam etc

6. More bandwith - moving to a bigger server and getting more juice in the pipe.

7. More storage ( I may actually host all pictures locally with a file upload utility)

8. and so forth ...

Stay tuned, I will be posting upgrades as they happen. Thenk you all for the kudos. Ship and I are working hard to make your stay more enjoyable and make this the premium FN site that it has become even better.

I will also work out the bugs and any omissions I may have overlooked - thank you all for bringing those to my attention.

Also - I will need to post a secure message center for getting feedback or requests. It appears that SOMEONE has gone to the extreme trouble of using an ofshore server to use our prior email as spam - and spam the world with it - [email protected].

It was our only published lifeline to the outside world and using Bushism "no dogooders" have tried their best to wreack havoc.

What this does is simple. Once the email domain is marked as junk, most routers will reject it - thus the email - legitimate or not - will not even reach your inbox, because it will be blocked at the ISP level. All I can do is laugh at the immaturity and desperation of those who would think that such activity would be any deterrent. It only bolsters my resolve for this community to be the best and continue to offer professional, mature and valuable content to the FN operator. They should have already gotten that message a year ago :lol:

Cheers,

-TH

·
Vendor
5,617 Posts
Thanks for all your fine work Therm! This new look is fantastic. It is very easy to maneuver.

I am shocked... shocked that someone would try to sabotage this Forum! :NO: I wonder who whould stoop sooooo low as to do this?????
I have nooooo idea. :wink:

·
Registered
178 Posts
I wouldn't take it as an attack on the site that the email address is being spoofed. It happens all the time. Bot goes crawling sites looking for easily decipherable email addresses and then they get used in forged headers as the sender.

Look into setting up a SPF record for the domains. It won't eliminate spoofing, but it can help reduce it and provide for more accurate spam filtering on the receiving end.

·
Premium Member
3,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
When is the first Q&A with FNH USA? :shock:
It's in the works. I will let the community know as soon as I know. For now .... mum's the word, but there are exciting things in the works for the community here.

-TH

·
Registered
120 Posts
I saw the Chat link before the site mods a few weeks ago, I cant see any Chat links now - has it been removed?

·
Registered
14 Posts
why would u think that someone is trying to sabotage this forum? And spoofing is the #1 crime on the net. U need to read paypal's anti-spoofing tutorial, ebay's, in fact everyone's. To think that someone is trying to sabotage u because a spammer is spoofing is a little paranoid. The same thing happened where I work a dozen times. Every time we had to get a new email server. Its just part of doing business. Anyway, there's ways to find out who registered whta, from what IP, and to locate that person. Many companies make $$$ doing that very thing.

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
Well, you are new here, so you don't have some of the back history. We won't go into all the details to drag things up, but no, he isn't being paranoid. There is a reason behind it.

·
Premium Member
3,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
why would u think that someone is trying to sabotage this forum? And spoofing is the #1 crime on the net. U need to read paypal's anti-spoofing tutorial, ebay's, in fact everyone's. To think that someone is trying to sabotage u because a spammer is spoofing is a little paranoid. The same thing happened where I work a dozen times. Every time we had to get a new email server. Its just part of doing business. Anyway, there's ways to find out who registered whta, from what IP, and to locate that person. Many companies make $$$ doing that very thing.
Getting a new email server will not fix the fact that now PS90forum.com is on the ban list on most routers world wide. We do not operate with 100K a year to outsource our spoof troubles. To write the CGI and get a server to spam and generate millions of email addresses on that domain name is not a 1hr job. There are no benefits to anyone to have the domain name banned except very, very, VERY few individuals. No one on the planet would go out of their way to have the domain banned for just ****s and giggles. There's no money it, just michief.

Lucky for us, I never used that email for anything and just set up a hotmail account that will be used for FNF email blasts. Getting hotmail blocked is - well - nigh impossible. He he he.

-TH

·
Vendor
5,617 Posts
Good points Esteves and John. All this could just be standard internet hacking and not a personal attack. Just like identity theft, this site just got unlucky. :-?

·
Premium Member
3,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well, we are getting a lot of traction. On the surface, it makes sense.

BUT: consider this. Email spoofed was [email protected]. Domain spoofed was fnforum.net. The email message header stated "Welcome to FN Forum".

So, in one swipe, someone knew how to attack the mail delivery of this site. This is not spam, or some off-chance rouge process that decided to target this site. This is a well planned and DELIBERATE action - with the intent to cause our mail delivery to be flagged as spam and fail.

To use your analogy. My 360 Spider got stolen. Ok ... well, there are only 3 people that know I have it. Chances are - one of the 3 people did it, cause the chances that some punk stumbled into my house and picked a fairly sophisticated security system are .... well you get the point.

-TH

1 - 20 of 21 Posts