FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is an un-solicited, independent review for the Moerse Lekker PS-90 barrel shroud. The following opinions and actions are my responsibility, and any misuse or mistakes are solely my fault. The Moerse Lekker web site is straightforward and easy to use. It has very detailed pictures of his products that are very representative of what I received. I paid $59.95 by Paypal which included the shipping. The online store uses a Paypal format, but you don’t have to pay by Paypal.

I received confirmation e-mails from both Paypal showing submission of payment and notification that my package labels had been printed and sent out for shipment…WITHIN 2 HOURS OF PAYING! Needless to say, I was amazed as I had ordered in the afternoon and that was the fastest I’d had any product shipped out.

The shroud arrived in a protective cardboard box inside the USPS package. Unless someone deliberately tried to crush the package, it was appropriately protected. The shroud, a set of instructions and two brass set screws and an Allen wrench came in the box. The screws and the Allen wrench were in a small plastic bag, and so there was nothing in the box that scratched the finish of the shroud. The instructions also come with company contact information to email if there are any questions.

The first impression I had was disbelief in how light the shroud was. The weight truly is negligible in the balance and handling of the PS-90. The shroud was smooth, evenly finished, and had no imperfections that could be detected without a micrometer. The machining was of very good quality. Setting it on my desk blotter and rolling it back and fourth by hand showed that it rolled straight and didn’t have any subtle curve or bumps on the exterior.

The shroud fit over the barrel, and as it centered/aligned the front slipped in place over my PS-90’s flash suppressor. The fit was close enough that there is almost no play at the front, but it doesn’t require pressure to seat it correctly. The brass set screw fit into the threads snugly enough it was almost concerning that it wasn’t threading correctly. After giving a gentile 1/4 to ½ turn backwards to check that the threads were actually aligned (or so I hope), I tightened it down all the way. I imagine some people will want to use locktite, but I would consider it carefully. As my set screw got contact with the barrel, with the already snug fit of the threads I partially stripped the screw. If someone desired to remove the set screw and used locktite, I wish them well in getting the screw out without stripping it. The fit of the shroud with the set screw in place is snug enough to pick the PS-90 up by the barrel/shroud without feeling the barrel shift forward or backward in the shroud. The PS-90’s appearance “coolness factor” raises by at least a factor of 5 with a shroud or suppressor (real or fake).

I was able to take my PS-90 out to the range and fire 250 rounds through it with the shroud on. I checked the shroud’s fit after each shot for the first 5 shots, then after two 5 shot series, and then every 5-10 shots till my first 50 round magazine was empty. There was no displacement. After the first mag, I picked up my PS90 by the shroud/barrel and the fit was unchanged. For the next 3 mags (150 rounds) I fired, I checked the shroud at random intervals. At mag changes I would hold up my PS-90 by the shroud/barrel for a few seconds. The shroud never became warm enough that it was at all uncomfortable to hold with a bare hand, but radiant heat from the barrel could be felt. I finished my last 50 round magazine with multiple target, random double and triple tap shot groups. The shroud’s fit is unchanged. Overall, I am VERY happy with the purchase and would definitely recommend it. As the round count increases, I’ll try to update everyone on any changes or (hopefully) lack thereof. Good shooting, everyone!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Very thorough & informative. This is on my list to buy & your review just help confirm it. Now just waiting on some fundage...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Kudos to Moerse Lekker . I ordered a shroud and it was in my mailbox three days later. Not only that, the thing is very well-made and the fit and finish are outstanding.

·
Banned
4,097 Posts
Nice Post!

·
Registered
356 Posts
Well... I'm sold. Just placed my order! Didn't have the PayPal option, though, and the price didn't include shipping (which I paid $4.50 for).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Got One

These are really nice! Just like in the review above, the fit and finish was excellent!! Shipping was lightning fast too. Great product and great company.

PS I ordered the solid instead of the ventilated.

·
Premium Member
10,669 Posts
Although this thread is from 2009, I think I saw one on gunbroker. You might want to do a google search on PS90 barrel shroud :?

·
Registered
22,109 Posts
Robocop said:
Where can I buy one? I have looked everywhere for this or the gemtech fake can and can't find either! Very frustrating
http://www.nortje.com/

Shows out of stock, but new e-store shows it is in stock. I would call him to find out whats up.

:?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts