FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
4,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Florida woman sentenced to 20 years in prison for firing a warning shot during an altercation with her husband has been freed in time for Thanksgiving as she awaits a new trial.

Marissa Alexander posted a total bond of $200,009 for three separate charges late Wednesday night.

Marissa Alexander, the Florida woman sentenced to 20 years in prison for firing a warning shot, will get a new trial. (AP)

Alexander was given the sentence in 2012 after she fired the shot during a 2010 argument with an estranged husband she says was abusive. The 33-year-old mother was charged with three counts of aggravated assault involving a firearm, and when found guilty Florida law requiring mandatory minimum sentencing kicked in. That sentence was 20 years.

Alexander was offered a plea day of three years if she pleaded guilty, an offer she rejected in lieu of trying to invoke self-defense and “stand your ground” law. An appeals court eventually held up her sentence.

But in September Alexander go her first dose of good news. She was granted a new trial after a judge ruled that while it was right for her “stand your ground” defense to be rejected, the court failed to properly instruct the jury on what is required to prove self-defense.

Court documents describing the bond say that Alexander committed the assault while she was on bail for another crime and therefore letting her post bond in this case is is not “customary practice.” However, it goes on to say that “the Defendant has completed her sentence on the separate misdemeanor charge and that case is now resolved.”

Mom Given 20-Year Prison Sentence for Firing a Warning Shot Set Free?for Now | TheBlaze.com

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
If this is the woman that went out to the car and then came back inside the house and fired the shot, she should NOT be out of jail IMHO. Well she posted bail, but she should not get off on the charges, the charges are appropriate

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Totally agree that the charges were appropriate but there's nothing wrong with giving a defendant a bond amount once the conviction is overturned on appeal and a new trial is granted. I will say that the 20-year sentence was a bit harsh considering the circumstances in this case. Also, if you read the judge's order in the posted article, I love how back when she was awaiting trial originally, she was arrested for Battery while on pretrial release and her bond was revoked for that back then. That happened to be left out of all the media attention surrounding this case. This woman is no genius.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Totally agree that the charges were appropriate but there's nothing wrong with giving a defendant a bond amount once the conviction is overturned on appeal and a new trial is granted. I will say that the 20-year sentence was a bit harsh considering the circumstances in this case. Also, if you read the judge's order in the posted article, I love how back when she was awaiting trial originally, she was arrested for Battery while on pretrial release and her bond was revoked for that back then. That happened to be left out of all the media attention surrounding this case. This woman is no genius.

Well... this in just my opinion of course, but 20 years for firing a shot into the air? Our system is a big failure. Really 20 years? Prisons are nothing more than a business. I've made thousands of arrests during my years on the streets and some I QUESTION to this date with some big regrets due to questionable laws.

Not all people are bad. And then again we have the worst. What I am trying to state is that there are many in prison that shouldn't be and a lot on the streets that should. Our system though is a complete failure. And in this lady's case, I am not certain 100% that she should have been found guilty and given 20 years.

It doesn't take 20 years to understand that "I shouldn't have done this or that." Unless it is a harsh crime then I am game for harsh punishment and even death!

Everyone here on this forum.. yes you too break the law each and every single day. Example you are late for work, you are exceeding the speed limit, you hit another vehicle, killing the individual and well though you didn't mean to do this you just committed manslaughter and now you are going to do some time. Point is we all break the law. And I mean everyone does!

One of the most common laws that we all break each and every single day is unlawful speeding. Yeap! Me, You, Judges, Lawyers, everyone who sits behind the wheel of a vehicle breaks the law.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
I agree 20 years is harsh, BUT, she made a conscious decision to go and get a gun and reenter the situation armed and firing a shot. It is NO different than someone walking up to you on the street pulling a gun and shooting it near you to scare you or whatever.... In that situation I bet one would not disagree with the 20 years. Just because she was family does not make the crime any worse.

now 20 years in either case when you can be out in less than 10 for murder, I agree, it is a bit tilted...

·
Registered
514 Posts
20 years was over zealous. I wasn't there and I don't know all the facts. But if she went outside grabbed a gun went back in and fired a shot into the air? 20 years? Was it her house, his house, her mom's house? Was there a child inside (her's) etc etc.. You have to have an open mind and truly know all the facts. My opinion is that 20 years was VERY harsh for the crime she was charged with.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Exactly my thoughts. 20 years was over zealous. I wasn't there and I don't know all the facts. But if she went outside grabbed a gun went back in and fired it into the air? 20 years? Was it her house, his house, her mom's house? Was there a child inside (her's) etc etc.. You have to have an open mind.
Open minded yes, but the base crime is no different regardless if it was her house or not. The rest of the factors you mentioned should go to increase a base sentence....I am of the mind that each crime should have a penalty of "at least" xxx amount of time. All other circumstances go to increasing the time and not decreasing....

Sentencing in our current system is a joke with no rhyme or reason... But I will say they do reflect the current priorities of our country, murder is not as important and stopping drug offenses, etc...Completely bass ackwards....

·
Premium Member
21,753 Posts
20 years was over zealous
In Florida use a gun, fire a shot, and 20 years is what you get. If she had hit anyone with the shot it would be Life.

·
Registered
454 Posts
bravo2zero, you have to admit though, most LEOs dont give a damn about many laws, especially traffic violations, when it comes to themselves.

As for the 20 years thing, 10-20-life is advertised on the radio. We have harsh punishment for gun crimes, and I think that is one of the things that helps keep our gun crime low. Miami, Tampa, Orlando, Jacksonville, Tallahassee, Panama City, Ft. Lauderdale: do you ever see any of these cities in the top 10 murder rates in our country? No. It's simple. If you commit a crime and pull a weapon, you instantly get 10 years. Shoot it you get 20. Shoot someone, whether they die or just get grazed, it's 25 to life. Harsh punishment works. I did a research report for an argument in one of my classes a few years back proving that harsh punishment is a great deterrent for crime. It's real simple. If you commit a crime, you're F'ed. If you protect yourself, LEGALLY, you're fine. But there is no grey area. The second they put grey area here, and start making exceptions, then the law falls apart and our judicial system will get severely hampered by all of the appeals. KISS, keep it simple, stupid. She should have known better than to go to her car to get a gun to come back, she should have left or called law enforcement.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Sentencing in our current system is a joke with no rhyme or reason... But I will say they do reflect the current priorities of our country, murder is not as important and stopping drug offenses, etc...Completely bass ackwards....
Robbing a bank will get you more time than ruining some little kids childhood and possibly their life, all the Sandusky's out there are not as evil as a bank robber apparently, unless they prove you did it a billion times like sandusky.

·
Registered
97 Posts
The law is the law, but people who murder in NC, on average, get 8 to 10 years actual time served. I remember a nearby hospital kidnapping case (new born baby was snatched) where the kidnapper served less than 5 years.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Sentencing should be up to the Judge. Not mentally retarded legislators. I'm not saying judges are geniuses, but legislators are the bottom of the barrel

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
In Florida use a gun, fire a shot, and 20 years is what you get. If she had hit anyone with the shot it would be Life.

The person sentencing the defendant should have more leeway than what some retarded legislator thought was appropriate. Not every crime committed with a firearm deserves the same or similar punishment. Sometimes there are mitigating circumstances that deserve consideration regardless what the pieces of sh*t in Tallahassee think.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts